Belcher bits 1/32 F-5A conversion set - What's the verdict?

Derek B

Guest Clunkmeister

I actually ordered a sat from him a while ago, he was making them up, and I'm waiting on an invoice..

I can honestly say that Mike's stuff is top notch.

I have conversion sets for the RCN 1/48 Sea King, RCN 1/48 S2A, and several 1/48 decal sheets from him, including for the Electric Voodoo.

I built the Sea King, and the set is spectacular, if you like RCN helos.

I have the Chinese knock off of the Has F-5E (Kangnam?), and I'll be using it as a donor for my CF-5, when I finally get my set...

I actually ordered a sat from him a while ago, he was making them up, and I'm waiting on an invoice..

I can honestly say that Mike's stuff is top notch.

I have conversion sets for the RCN 1/48 Sea King, RCN 1/48 S2A, and several 1/48 decal sheets from him, including for the Electric Voodoo.

I built the Sea King, and the set is spectacular, if you like RCN helos.

I have the Chinese knock off of the Has F-5E (Kangnam?), and I'll be using it as a donor for my CF-5, when I finally get my set...

Thanks for the additional vote of confidence - Looks like I shall be seeking one of these sets out when the opportunity arises then.

Thanks

Derek

This is what I picked up from Telford last Saturday (I already own the original Hasegawa offering):

739383594_5_Big.jpg

And these two books (although I have to wait until Christmas for the T-38 Talon book :():

m1VucRCxD7Njs0qkUUUak6w.jpg

BT38covgr.jpg

I think that I may also have these books somewhere:

0011a654_medium.jpeg

ds05.jpg

And this is what I want to make:

F-5B-64-13378web.jpg

HAF F-5B

13378%20F5B.jpg

HAF F-5B

general-NF5B--1.jpg

HAF F-5B

alex_f-5_01.jpg

HAF F-5A

F-5A-70-1380web.jpg

HAF F-5A

If anyone has any additional book and drawing references that they can point me towards (both F-5E/F Tiger II and F-5A/B/T-38), that would be great.

Many thanks

Derek

Two references just added to the LSP book database:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reference/details.php?title=5207

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reference/details.php?title=5208

I found the first one on Ebay out of Taiwan. Worth keeping an eye out for if the price is reasonable. Detail photos similar to your T-38 book (but not as many). A series of side view drawings pointing out the differences in the Talon/Freedom Fighter Series. They only pertain to the early F-5A/B and Canadair airplanes, though; not the F-5E/F.

I picked one up at the Phoenix Nationals a while back. It's ok and by no means clean, especially the panel lines. The other problem was making the proper landing gear (the nose strut primarily) and no correct F-5A wheels are included. The kit F-5E wheels are totally different. I did start it, as I intended to make a Venezuelan F-5A. 

Derek,I have a WIP on the F-5 in the Vietnam GB. It's quite stalled at the moment but might show you what's involved. If you need some more pics of the conversion bits, let me know.

Carl

Hi Carl,

Pics are always useful (for me and others). I hope that you get to finish it one day as I know that it will look awesome when completed.

Regards

Derek

Two references just added to the LSP book database:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reference/details.php?title=5207

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reference/details.php?title=5208

I found the first one on Ebay out of Taiwan. Worth keeping an eye out for if the price is reasonable. Detail photos similar to your T-38 book (but not as many). A series of side view drawings pointing out the differences in the Talon/Freedom Fighter Series. They only pertain to the early F-5A/B and Canadair airplanes, though; not the F-5E/F.

Thank for the link to those titles; they look gooid and I shall look out for them.

This is one of the reasons that I need good drawings of the F-5B/T-38 and the F-5F is so that I can accurately assess the fuselage shapes of both forward end fuselages. Although I fully expect that the nose cones (and perhaps nose undercarriage) may differ, I would have expected that the main fuselage extension plug for the two-seater (and canopy).

Regards

Derek

I picked one up at the Phoenix Nationals a while back. It's ok and by no means clean, especially the panel lines. The other problem was making the proper landing gear (the nose strut primarily) and no correct F-5A wheels are included. The kit F-5E wheels are totally different. I did start it, as I intended to make a Venezuelan F-5A. 

Thanks for the heads-up Mike (and I hope that we eventually see your Venezulan F-5A, as that would be something really different).

On a separate note, I will also be looking for the Trumpeter 1/32 A-7 Corsair II kit and a suitable 1/32 F-16C (Block 50) aircraft kit for similar purposes in the future (could you advise me on the latter - I expect that something like an Academy kit would be best?).

Cheers

Derek