Belcher bits 1/32 F-5A conversion set - What's the verdict?

Derek B

Hello all,

I have always liked the Hasegawa 1/32 F-5E Tiger II kit - it is one of those sweet kits that has a great deal of appeal to me.

Anyhow, I am looking at making an HAF F-5A or F-5B sometime and I think that a company called Belcher bits do (or did) make an F-5A conversion set for this kit?

Has anyone used it, and if so what are your opinions of the set?

Many thanks

Derek

Hello all,

I have always liked the Hasegawa 1/32 F-5E Tiger II kit - it is one of those sweet kits that has a great deal of appeal to me.

Anyhow, I am looking at making an HAF F-5A or F-5B sometime and I think that a company called Belcher bits do (or did) make an F-5A conversion set for this kit?

Has anyone used it, and if so what are your opinions of the set?

Many thanks

Derek

Make your own....NOT KIDDING.

It is workable, but be warned, you will be working and sweating over it, for long hours.

Make your own....NOT KIDDING.

It is workable, but be warned, you will be working and sweating over it, for long hours.

Thanks Harold - I was half afraid of that being the answer! (might explain why I have not seen any completed comversions).

Thanks

Derek

Have the Belcher Conversion for the 5A ,and the Tiger kit..even mastered a new front windscreen for it (little different that the Has. kit)The only thing that has stopped me is that huge chunk of resin that weighs a ton and looks like it will be a major time vampire.  But short of doing it on your own it's all thats out there..seen them built up and they do look very respectable indeed,just the time thing for me.

Have the Belcher Conversion for the 5A ,and the Tiger kit..even mastered a new front windscreen for it (little different that the Has. kit)The only thing that has stopped me is that huge chunk of resin that weighs a ton and looks like it will be a major time vampire.  But short of doing it on your own it's all thats out there..seen them built up and they do look very respectable indeed,just the time thing for me.

Thanks William. I managed to pick up a second hand Revell 'Shark nose' F-5E kit specofically for the task last Saturday. Sounds like I have some scratch building to do then!

Cheers

Derek

When I made the NF-5 Turkish Star , I used this set, and is more than OK.

Florin

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

105.jpg

109.jpg

That looks very nice with very clean castings (nice work  :goodjob: ). Thank you for sharing your photographs Florin. I need to do some more research...

Derek

Looks like some or all of the pics are gone but it may give u some insight Derek.........

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=34796&hl=belcher

Your right about the pics Brian, but thank you for the link regardless. The weight of resin is a worry as I do not know how strong the undercarriage is over the course of years after completion. Sounds like a good set, but quite a bit of work required to make it all happen and quite a weighty model at the end of it.

Many thanks

Derek

Belcher's Bits conversion is most certainly doable. I haven't finished my CF-5A as of yet but it is well on the way.

IMG_2714a.jpg

Very nice G. (the CF-5A seems like a very popular subject). I like the dropped flaps and slats :thumbsup:

Thanks

Derek