Snuggling down decals

dgassie

Micro Set first then Micro Sol.   But with the thicker more stubborn decals I use Solvaset. Always check the Decal Manufacturer first. some say what works best for their decals. If not, Test with a spare decal. Solvaset can be hot and eat decals that is in my case :hmmm:

Cheers

And Fixed

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

Thanks guys.

I thought Microsol was the stronger of both and always use that. I thought Microset was used on the plastic BEFORE applying the decal, so I'm glad you cleared that up for me!

Do you just dab it on? That's what I do but would like to "work it in" to the decal a bit but am always afraid I'll end up ripping it to shreds.

I've never had any luck whatsoever with Mr Mark Destroyer. Every single time I use it, it burns holes in the decals; doesn't matter what brand, or what application method I use. Someone recently advised not to use a brush to apply it, but a cotton bud instead. I've yet to try that. But it has a tendency to bead up, and if you let it sit there, you'd swear it was Alien blood...

Kev

Kevin, I have had it eat up weaker decals, but if you have something that is a challenge to snuggle down, it can't be beat.

If you look at the SS uniforms in this feature, they are DECALS!!! The Mr. Mark products made them snuggle into the recesses of the styrene figures.

People keep saying that to me Bill, but every time they do, I try the product again, and regret it. I used them on the decals that come with Tamiya's A6M5 kit - you know the ones: thick, stiff, like vinyl. The result? Holes.

Kev

Hmm. That's odd. I haven't had much trouble with it.

The way I use them is as follows:

Wet the decals in warm water for up to 20 secs.

Apply some Mark Softer to the decal, then apply.

Daub off any excess water around the edges (be careful not to touch the decal with anything but the brush in the bottle of the Mark Softer).

Then apply some Mr. Mark Setter and let it do its magic.

Sometime later, you might want to apply more Mark Setter if the decal hasn't snuggled down yet.

Works for me just about every time. Does NOT work on long, skinny decals and old ones like CAM decals.

MicroSet before decals - MicroSol applied with soft brush after they're in position for me.

And additional applications of MicroSol as required - taking care *not* to disturb the decals if they wrinkle up - they always settle down eventually  :)

Iain

That's interesting Bill. So you're applying the setter on top of the decal? I've only got a bottle of Mr Mark Softer, so I just brush it on after decal application, much as I would with MicroSol. Do I have the roles of each product mixed up?

Kev

Kev, I apply the stuff in the green bottle first, usually a little on the spot where I'm going to put the decal, then on top of the decal after it's in place. The idea (at least for me) is to soften the material enough for it to snuggle into the cracks & crevices.

The Mr. Mark Setter is IMO the more important component, since it acts as a drying agent to tighten up the decal. Again, brush on once the decal is in place.