F-4C SCAT XXVII - DONE 11/09/2014

Dragon

"I suspect this isn't normal, so I won't be using them.  So, the back-up plan is using the Tamiya rubber tires.  I've never used rubber tires before, and I've read where rubber tires begin to breakdown after several years on the shelf.  Does the Tamiya rubber have this issue?  Do the rubber tires react with the painted plastic wheels?  Any special prep needed?"

I've built two of these kits when they first came out, around 9 years ago. The tires have held up just fine! I just removed the seams with a sharp knife and gently sanded them to create a matte finish.

Cheers, Tom

Pit looks great Mike ! One question, when you do the nose, will the whole thing be shinny or will you weather it ?..........Harv  :popcorn:

Harv - To be honest haven't given that much thought yet.  I'll have to look at some pics to see what look I like.  

And thanks everyone for the kind words on the cockpit.  

Mike

Hello All,

A quick update on my build.  I was able to get a few hours at the work bench over the weekend, and I've attached the intakes and wings.  I've read some builders have had fit issues with the intakes and the wing/fuselage seam, but I had none.  

P1030139_zpscf953e24.jpg

I also put down the base color for the tail section.  I'll finish up the rest of the coloration once I've wrapped up the SEA paint job.

P1030140_zpsd77acb32.jpg

This model is BIG!  It's the largest I've built to date.  I had to rearrange my bench because I was knocking things over plus banging it into the bench lamps!  

Thanks for checking in,

Mike

Edited by M. Dragon

Great Job Mike! Looks like you had some fun with your phantom!  Keep it up!  :)

Just be glad you didn't decide to do a 2 seat F-105.. literally the same overall length as a WWII B-24. 

All the best,

Paul 

A minor update on the build.  Time at the bench has been scarce this past week, but I was able to work on the main landing gear and the weapons.

I'm happy how these turned out:

P1030146_zps2f394f82.jpg

I didn't like the look of the kit's sidewinders.  I wanted the look of a 9B, so I tried to relocate the forward fins.  But I ended up botching the effort.  Fortunately, I was able to secure some sidewinders from a Trumpeter F-100 kit, and I spliced their front end to the body of the Tamiya sidewinders:

P1030136_zps64fee9cb.jpg

I also assembled the sparrows.

P1030142_zps41e8f64d.jpg

I'll be working on the front landing gear this week, and after seeing Harv's effort, I may need to try my hand at detailing!  

Thanks for looking in on my build,

Mike