F-15D out of the Tamiya E?

Eli Raphael

Intresting Topic , I've been muling ove the best way to tackle an F-15 Baz as well, Since I've got a completed F-15I already , I've been thinking about a CFT f-15C , just to be different...!

Hi Eli,

I worked some time on a DJ in the past (same problem).

To my eyes, the best starting point  for a D is the Revell so-called E kit. As expalined by Barry, it is is fact very close to a B-D. Mainly, you have to change the rear IP and cover (Bruce released them) and add two good resin Aces II seats. Obviously, some detailing is still necessary and getting metal LG legs is a requirement. You should also fill the two big vents under the rear belly and replace the exhausts. Nonetheless, even if the US kit is not comparable to the Japanese kit, you won't have to cross-kit and convert many details here and there. The panel and lines scribing is quite acceptable and the kit even have full intakes. Oddly, the kit has too many panel lines (more particulalry in the wing area) and so they ask for filling. You may even be surprised seeing that assembly of the wing/fuselage is easier than the one of the Japanese kit!

However, if you really want to do a kit with the CFT, the situation may be different! As the Tamiya kit as molded-on tanks, this may be a noticeable time-saver because the assembly of the Revell CFT is not the easiest one. The main problem with the Tamiya solution is the fact that nobody released parts to correct the E-C hybrid problem. As mentioned by others, their C-J kit is actually a E without CFT and with some fighter parts added but many typical details have been forgotten and some are quite annoying such as the LG legs or the exhaust over the plane back differences...

After almost no sleep thinking about how to tackle this "problem", I have come to the conclusion that I will be building the Great Wall 1/48 F-15D new kit. Time is running short and I don't have the time to spend too much time on a given subject.

I already have the 1/32 F-15C built as an IAF example and will be doing the F-15I using the Wolfpack conversion.

Thanks to all for their input.

After almost no sleep thinking about how to tackle this "problem", I have come to the conclusion that I will be building the Great Wall 1/48 F-15D new kit. Time is running short and I don't have the time to spend too much time on a given subject.

I already have the 1/32 F-15C built as an IAF example and will be doing the F-15I using the Wolfpack conversion.

Thanks to all for their input.

Time short ? Hope you're okay Eli.

Tony

If it's a late production D then, theoretically, not much at all. The airframes are the same, without CFTs fitted for the most part.

I think the key changes would be in the cockpit.

Earlier F-15Ds were more like the air superiority F-15B and single seat C in terms of airframe. Less beefy gear etc.

You need feedback from a Crew Chief like Dave Whalen.

HTH

Tony

Late D model airframes were the same throughout its career, as far as I know up to the year 2001.

Now the Late model E change as having more composite, this was in the gear doors, flight control surfaces and speedbrake.

I have heard that through attrition the speedbrake and gear doors on C and D models have been going to the composite parts but other then that I know of no major changes in the C/D late model.

Cheers

Dave

the other thing that should be mentioned is that unless you have a new Revell Germany release of the D/E kit the canopy is smoked.  The only F-15 A-E that had a smoked canopy was the "E" demonstrator.  Revell issued the C kit for a while with a clear canopy and the D/E kit.

here is a link to my effort to combine two Tamiya kits and make a B model.   http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=35161&hl=bruce&do=findComment&comment=329049

Bruce

Edited by Bruce