possible planes

thosch

Hi Everyone,

Longtime reader possible first time participant.  I've been following this build closely and I'm very interested in it.  If I participate I was wondering if anyone could confirm if the French ever used the Fiesler Storch in Indochina (Hasegewa's/Revell's kit) and/or if Trumpeter's Bearcat kit would qualify as a participant in this conflict. 

Thanks,

Tom S.

Hi Tom,

Welcome aboard!

:post1:

Normally you'd post this question in the discussion thread about the GB in LSP Discussion, as the GB forum is for builds only. However, we never give the new guy a hard time! If the answers to you question turn out to be "yes", then you can use this thread as your build thread.

Kev

Hi Tom, A Bearcat would be fine and I have heard but not seen that the French used the Storch as well. Welcome to the forums. Please let me know what you decide to build and well help you change the heading of your post here to reflect that. :)

All the best,

Paul 

Hi Everyone,

Longtime reader possible first time participant.  I've been following this build closely and I'm very interested in it.  If I participate I was wondering if anyone could confirm if the French ever used the Fiesler Storch in Indochina (Hasegewa's/Revell's kit) and/or if Trumpeter's Bearcat kit would qualify as a participant in this conflict. 

Thanks,

Tom S.

Greetings Tom and Welcome to the Forums!

To answer your question about the Fieseler Storch assuming it is the Fieseler Fi 156. It appears according to this that yes is the answer.

The excerpt is from this book which is highly recommend if the Air War in S.E.A. is to be fully understood.

Barry

Hit_My_Smoke_zpsb10f865a.jpg

This is posted under the Fair Use Act found here: http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

Fieseler_Fi_156_zps9e489fe1.jpg

Hi Tom,

Welcome aboard!

:post1:

Normally you'd post this question in the discussion thread about the GB in LSP Discussion, as the GB forum is for builds only. However, we never give the new guy a hard time! If the answers to you question turn out to be "yes", then you can use this thread as your build thread.

Kev

He he ...me too! That's why I'm worry about to be a new guy on this GB! But let me think about little more time should I joint it!

To answer to Paul regarding the Storch in French color, did it the same with MS-500 Criquet? Then I said it's in the VN War in deed!

You can find it under the French/ VNAF for sure!

Tom, :)

Guest Clunkmeister

Fieseler Storchs used by the Allies in Vietnam? Who woulda thunk it? That'll be cool, a Storch in something other than WW2 German colors.

Oh yeah, welcome to the build!

Edited by Clunkmeister

French also flew a whole bunch of exotic types such as: Aichi E1 3 A11 Jake, A6M2 Ruffe, Ju-52 aka Toucan, Beavers , Kincobras , Boxcar, C-47/DC3, Invader, Vampire, Hellcat, Bearcat, Privater, Catalina, Goose, Dauntless, Sea Otter, Globemaster, Stratocruiser,Messersmitd 108/Nort 1000,Fairchild C119,Bristol superfreighter and few Spits Mark 9 and bunch of Corsairs.

Cheers

M.

So what was it? A license built Storch?

Yup, Immediately after the liberation of France in 1944, the production of Storch at the Morane-Saulnier factory was continued at the request of the Armée de l'Air and designated MS 500 for the batch of aircraft produced with the remaining stock of Argus engines. Further modifications and use of different engines (inline and radial) are known under different type numbers. The use of the aircraft in Indochina highlighted the weakness of the wood in the construction of the airframe; it was then decided to build the wings of metal. Among the modifications, the defensive weapon aiming through the back window was dropped, although some aircraft were then been modified in the field to take a machine gun MAC 34T firing through one of the side windows. 141 aircraft were built before the end of World War II and a total of 925 aircraft were built before the end of the production of all types of Criquet by Morane-Saulnier in 1965.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Tom S.

Yes!  I'm doing an F8F-1 build for this thread.  The Storch, built as the "Criquet" in France was used extensively as an artillery observation/aerial spotter aircraft, so you'd be on the right track!

http://indochine54.free.fr/cefeo/criquet.html

Guest Clunkmeister

I don't think the post-war Germans were in any position to demand licensing fees or Royalties from the French......

Right....

There sure seems to be quite a few Storchs around, I guess if they were built into the 60s and operationally flown up till this very day it makes sense there's a bunch out there still.

I don't think the post-war Germans were in any position to demand licensing fees or Royalties from the French......

Pity the British Labour government of the time were not a bit more commercially savvy when they gave the Russians the Nene jet engine....

Different times indeed!

Tim