Fisher Sea Fury FB.II UPDATE:9/1/14: FINISHED

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Rick

Very much appreciated the kind words on the sea Fury. Hopefully, I'm passed the mid way point on turning towards the completion stretch.

Peter

Peter, just had a chance to check in and check out your progress on the Sea Fury. Dude, she looks fantastic! Probably said this before but nothin' looks better than the Sea Fury with a Maple Leaf on it! You're definitely doin' this one justice Peter.

Cheers,

Wolf

Guest Peterpools

Hi Wolf

Glad you're still checking in and keeping tabs on the build.Totally agree, The Sea Fury with a Maple Leaf on her is one gorgeous airplane.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 8/28/14 SOME PROGRESS

Lots of small parts and assemblies needed to be finished up and then worked through the painting process.

The gear: A fair amount of time was needed to clean up the brass gear but well worth the effort, for the incredible strength they bring to the heavy Sea Fury. First primed with Tamiya Plastic and Metal Fine Gray Primer, then the oleos with Tamiya Gloss Black, followed with Alclad Chrome, and the legs finished with my light sea gray mix. When dry; glossed, an oil pin wash, sealed but actually getting the gear installed was a tough job for these clumsy hands. I kept on filing and tweaking the brass mounting lugs and even resorted to some gentle twisting and bending with a smooth faced needle nose mini pliers, to bend the axels a bit. I'm close but not wanting to do too much for fear of snapping the axel. I still need to add the balance of the gear parts and doors but it's a slow process for me.

Nothing much to report on the flaps, as they also followed the same procedure as the gear door assemblies. I know they should be in the up position but it would be a crime to hide the detail.

The cowl access panels are as delicate as Tamiya's Spitfire and Mustang corresponding parts and the interior detail Paul lavished on them is exquisite. The interior surfaces were finished with Alclad White and Dura Aluminum and the outside in the standard Sea Fury colors.

The drop tanks needed a bit more clean up, then rolled through the painting process with no problems but decaling was another story. The red and black edged lightning bolts needed to conform not only to the raised ridge line separating the top and bottom portions of the tanks but also to the compound curves of the tank itself. Time and liberal amounts of Micro Set, Sol and Mr Mark Setter and Mr Softer solutions were needed to work the decals into place. In the end, all's well worth the commitment.

The stenciling was applied and then the sealer gloss coats applied:

Testor's Glosscote: drop tanks, cowl access doors and gear doors

Future: The fuselage, wings and tail-feathers

Next up: Finishing the gear, the gear, exhausts, Alclad work for the exhaust plates and tail wheel assembly.

Thanks for checking in.

untitled-24_zpsb8333cb2.jpg

untitled-25_zps636f0331.jpg

untitled-26_zps2887d6d0.jpg

untitled-27_zpsa9f45df1.jpg

untitled-28_zps2f0b0795.jpg

untitled-23_zps0295bde8.jpg

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Iain

Thanks so much. She finally starting to come together and for the first time, I can honestly say, I can't tell the different between the Future gloss and the Testors Glosscote. And to think, Future has no smell and is less expensive then both Glosscote and bottle water.

Peter