1/32nd Focke-Wulf Triebflügel

Out2gtcha

Just brilliant Brian ! Love watching your engineering !.........Harv :popcorn:

Thanks Harv!

this is too cool...  will you make a wee video for us to drool over once this is all done please?

Yep, sure will! I do believe its the only way to actually get to see what this thing is like IRL.

Yeah Brian, this one really needs a video!

Kev

Yeah, I think your right Kev. Its hard(er) to see what this thing looks and acts like in action in just pics alone.

Nice work cant wait to see it at a club meeting Brian

Thanks Steve!  Im not sure when the next meeting actually IS as I think Oma-con is in place of the June meeting isnt it?

Shear poetry..love watching a talented craftsman do his thing. This is gonna be an awesome thing when it's done and the attention to detail will make it a masterpiece !

Thanks Vaughn!

Im hoping this all works out like I think its going to.  The main issue Im having right now, is that I think 4 AAs which is 6 volts gets it spinning like I want, but I seemed to run the batteries down VERY quickly experimenting...........................

So I went and bought a 12v/6v power transformer to convert 120v to 6v which I thought was the same as 4 AAs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but the transformer spun the motor with WAY less gusto than 4 new AA batteries.  Not sure whats wrong there..........

Now my choices are to figure out some other way to transform 120v house current into 6-7 volts that is designed for small electric motors, OR go back to the hobby store and see if I can get a L-Ion battery equivalent to replace the 4 AA option...........................or maybe 4 C batteries for a longer run time maybe as they are at 1.5v too................

Still LOTS to figure out on the engineering side.

Ok guys here we go..................onward and upward!

I got my battery case w/4 AA batteries for a total of 6v. If the freakin batteries would last, 4 AAs should be plenty of power. If I cant get the store bought batteries to last, Im thinking about going to an L-Ion battery with the full 7v the motor can have, OR Ive also been contemplating a wall plug in system utilizing a 125v - 12v/6v transformer...............more on that later.

For now, Im using 4 over the counter AA batteries for this first run up, proof of concept test. Things still may change with teh design before all is said and done, but for now this will give me the confidence to push forward with the design.

I bought two 12 inch lengths of 4-40 threaded rod, and cut them WAY longer than I needed to insert into the wings, in order to give me the almost exact length of the three resin wings............albeit much lighter. This should get me a more accurate Idea of how fast the outer ram-jets will be spinning in the end. I just taped out the holes I had previously drilled in the ram-jets to put tooth picks in, in order to prime and paint them:

DSC03055.jpg

You can see here how they look on the ends of the rod, that will eventually be cut back down, and inserted into the resin wings for strength and attachment / removal. Switch and battery case also wired in:

DSC03056.jpg

DSC03057.jpg

Ok guys, you asked for it, so here it is.........................the first run up/proof of concept test vid:

YAY! It all works to plan!   The thing looks like its spinning way faster than it is in the vid, but in actuality, its not spinning nearly as fast as it looks like it is.................but that doesnt really worry me. Again, its battery life Im worried about at this time, so now that I know the design will work, I think it might be time to look into a different way to power this thing.

All for now guys,

Cheers!

Edited by Out2gtcha

Oh I just love it Modeling mechanics 101, and your the Dean, Brian !Love it. Can't wait for more. This will be a show stopper for sure. I see many awards give for this......Harv :popcorn:

Thanks guys!

Again it really is not spinning that fast. I think its an optical allusion from the vid.  The cool thing is, since the bearings are so beefy, it really does seem to remain very stable.

I also tried the test in my hand to see if it remained as stable, and it really seemed to stay put quite well. I did try a transformer from Radio Shack...............but for the !@#$ing LIFE of me, I cant seem to get it to work.

I used the exact directions to turn 125v to either 12v or 6v.............but I hooked it up EXACTLY like the instructions say to, and it DOES spin, but it isnt even enough to turn the thing, let alone spin it at speed.  No clue what is up with that, but need to get a Volt meter to see what the 4 AAs are putting out VS the wall plug with transformer.

I also re-did the front of the motor mount, to get the motor seated down a little further toward the center tubes, as I will be VERY close on clearance for the rear 1/2 of the fuselage. As it sits, even after the new motor mount got things lower, I still will have to grind out the rear of the fuse substantially to get all of the spinning mechanism working.

More updates/progress soon.

Cheers!

Looking great so far! The setup seems really stable, it should work great with the model around it.

Have you thought about using a model railroad transformer? They should be easily available and and allow you to change the voltage with a dial.

Keep up the good work!

Erik

Thanks guys!   Very kind of you to say........................im hoping this all does turn out like I envision.  :D

Looking great so far! The setup seems really stable, it should work great with the model around it.

Have you thought about using a model railroad transformer? They should be easily available and and allow you to change the voltage with a dial.

Keep up the good work!

Erik

Erik that is a great Idea!  I totally overlooked that................and I have a long standing train shop right here in town that may be able to help me.

That is ALSO perfect in that I was really hoping to get one that allowed me to change the voltage on it as I wanted.....................I think the drain on the batteries will make over the counter AAs impractical.

I still have to check out the 7.4v LIon battery designed for the mini motor, but I think if they are not too expensive Ill head straight to the train store to see if they have something that might work.

Thanks for the suggestion!!

Excellent piece of engineering, Brian.  Bravo!  Any concerns with balance?

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark! 

Not so far.................or at least as not as big of a worry as I thought it might be, but it remains to be seen once the thing is ramped up on the base itself. That is another reason why Im going with a larger diameter aluminum tube to hold the model to the base.

I was initially going to go with a clear acrylic tube for the base holder, but quickly realized I would have to run the wires from the model to the base some other way, or have another tube attached to run the wires through since its a solid clear rod. So, Im going to go to a 1/2 to 5/8 inch aluminum tube that I can polish to a high mirror shine. The larger diameter aluminum tube will likely also be more stable than a smaller diameter solid clear rod as well.

As to the model itself, once I get the wings set, and the 4-40 rod buried in them, I will continue with operational tests, and what I plan on doing is, once the model is in its final form, I plan on drilling a hole in the lightest ram-jet tip, and inserting a couple/few #9 lead buck-shot pellets, and then sealing and sanding them to make up for any imbalances in the end.

Looking super Brian I love just how smooth everything is working.  Further to the idea of having an adjustable speed control.  While you are in that model train store you might look into a simple circuit kit which would allow you to slowly ramp up the speed then keep it going at a set speed the let it ramp down and rest for a bit.  All of this can be setup on a programmed timer.  It might help with the battery life/ power consumption and allow for hands free display over a longer period of time.

Just and idle thought.  Looking forward to your next progress update.  Great to see you having such fun.

Dan

Great Idea Dan! (They seem to be abounding lately which is fantastic!)  I will definitely check into that whist I am at the train store. Really great idea, as these little motors get quite hot, even with less than the 7.4v they were designed to carry.

I think that there is such a load on the motor with batteries on it, as it has to immediately ramp up to full speed, that even new batteries quickly loose their juice. Im not too worried the heat aspect as the resin will still be plenty think (I hope) to keep any heat away from the paint......resin is not a great transmitter of heat anyway, and the motor will NEVER be running consistently, and even when it is running, will only be running for a few seconds at any one give time.