1/32nd Focke-Wulf Triebflügel

Out2gtcha

Hey Shep!

Really great progress on your Mossie so far btw!!!

As to progress on the Triebflugel, I have spent the last week getting the rotating center section taken care of. Im spending a pretty petty to see if I can have a solid billet section of Aluminum custom machined to accept a stainless steel shaft, and two bearings so the wings will rotate with ease and precision.

Its also taken me a whole night just working with the razor saw to cut all the parts free from their pour blocks..........WHEW! What a PITA.

Pics tonight or tomorrow if I can find some time.....................Work will begin again in urnest over the weekend, as I have a long weekend including Monday to get some major progress on the Trieb.

Cheers,

Well people, heres what I have been working on for the past week or so................

I started my normal resin kit procedure with a good overnight soaking for all the resin parts in a bath of Westleys Bleche Wite:

DSC02937.jpg

DSC02938.jpg

Next up was the start of THE major challenge IMHO on this build; and thats how to accurately and reliably spin the center fuse section that the wings are attached to. Well I came up with a way, but I wont go into the embarrassing amount I spent on the replacement part (compared to the overall cost of the kit, but not for the work that went into it, if anyone knows how much professional aluminum machining costs per hr) but here is the solid resin OOB part, in between the two fuse halves:

DSC02941.jpg

DSC02939.jpg

DSC02940.jpg

MORE................................

The raised nubs on the each of the 3 holes the wings go on are erroneous................................

I had a custom fab/machine shop custom make me a piece of billet 60/61 aluminum to replace the OOB. Its NICE piece of kit, a bit heavy, but surprisingly not THAT much heaver than the OOB part..................until you add the bearings I had the machine shop countersink holes for:

DSC02942.jpg

DSC02945.jpg

DSC02944.jpg

DSC02943.jpg

I bought a nice stainless steel tube for a bore shaft:

DSC02946.jpg

DSC02947.jpg

Taking it for a "spin" on the Dremel to break in the bearings. This process will continue until they spin satisfactorily smooth and fast:

DSC02949.jpg

The new part does fit like a glove............and I have a few Ideas on how Im going to center and mount it on the aircraft:

DSC02948.jpg

More to come as I will continue working on the Triebflugel this weekend.

Cheers!

Thanks guys.

This one is definitely proving to have its own unique set of challenges. This will be my first "In-flight / stand posed" model, and its got some elements to it that I hadn't thought about at first. The pit is SUPER tight, and getting the Master Details pilot in there is proving problematic.............I may have to get creative on that one. Ive assembled his torso and legs last night to fit the seat, and will do more fitting today/tonight/tomorrow.

The canopy/windscreen is not the well molded and has a few more pock marks on it than I initially thought. it might take more sanding/smoothing/polishing than I think. :unsure:

Brian, you are a madman! Such dedication is amazing. How are you going to paint the aluminium part so the grain isn't visible, and yet still spin freely?

Kev

Thanks K1. The dedication part comes from having some disposable cash..............and that basically comes from not having a wife/kids.  :lol:

Its almost more of an optical allusion in the pics................the billet aluminium aluminum part looks like its almost ribbed in the pics put IRL, its pretty smooth. As a matter of fact, its so smooth, im going to have to do some finish/cut sanding on it to prep it for primer. Ive found as long as the metal is clean, dry, and has a nicely keyed surface to it, normal Tam Fine white lays and stays.

Ive thought long and hard (lol long and hard....) about how to make sure its spins freely after installation, so I think when I do go to glue it in, I will have the appropriate sized thickness of styrene sheet cut to temporarily slip in-between the spinning disk of aluminum and the two resin fuse halves while its drying................then once dry, I will remove the two spacers (the bearings are QUITE a snug fit on the stainless steel pipe) and hopefully the disk will have enough room to spin freely.

Surprisingly the main problem Im having now is how to effectively break in the new bearings............they still feel new and although smooth, they dont yet spin freely like I would like.

Brain

Right with Kev ... what a start.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter!

Oh now that is a great approach for the spinning section!!!

Thanks! 

I just couldn't for the life of me figure out how to exactingly center punch a 3/8" hole in the OOB resin part, and then accurately counter-sink two apposing bearings so the disk spun 100% on the same plane as the fuselage parts..............and couldn't figure out how to get the smooth spin I wanted without wobble without bearings. So I concluded spending a stupid amount of money VS how much I paid for the kit to have a single part custom machined was the way to go.  :rolleyes:   :lol:

Luft 46 !!  Way to go ! Looks like quite a challenge but looking very forward to seeing you build this up.

:popcorn:

Vaughn

Thanks Vaughn!

I take that as a high compliment since Ive always got such great enjoyment from your posts..................speaking of which, what ever happened to your Starfury??

Loved that build, and im not even much of a sci-fi guy!

Had a thought while watching that video:

A few rounds of fire from an Allied fighter through the radius of those spinning fins should be enough to damage them and bring the Triebflugel down, right? An effect similar to that which required builders to prevent the guns from shooting a plane's very own props off.

"Thanks Vaughn!

I take that as a high compliment since Ive always got such great enjoyment from your posts..................speaking of which, what ever happened to your Starfury??

Loved that build, and im not even much of a sci-fi guy!"

Most welcome ! Glad my builds are enjoyed. Life has been 'interesting'... between jobs, living with relatives, everything in storage... The 'Fury is boxed up, safe and will be gotten back to when life settles down. In the meantime I'm following along here on LSP.

For breaking in the bearings how about doing what you did to test it ?.. just use your dremel to spin it for a while, should settle it out well in an hour or so on low speed.

Cheers

Vaughn

Thanks guys!

Vaughn that is a great idea....................I actually have the rubber cylindrical tube used to put cylindrical sanding disks on my Dremel tool........I think I might leave the sanding disk off, and just used the rubber cylinder to propel the aluminum block for awhile to see if I can break the bearings in, cause once I glue things in, that will be that.

More weekend progress!

Things are finally starting to progress a bit, after HOURS AND HOURS of unpleasantness in the form removing all parts from their pour plocks and subsequently sanding all of same parts to shape...........WHEW!  Ill be I have 12  or more hrs in just sanding alone.............than gawd for the carbon mask!

It was time to start assembling Heinz, to get him to fit in the exceptionally cramped pit.....................He was NOT going to fit fully assembled once I had the pit tub secured in the fuse, so I had to remove some of the cockpit liner, (it looked better that way anyway)  for the trial fit runs.

Base of the fairly nicely detailed OOB pit............that will be JUST fine since Heinz will take up most of the view when looking in there..............from what little will be seen in the end:

DSC02971.jpg

DSC02968.jpg

DSC02964.jpg

You wont be able to see much of Heinz nor pit once everything is assembled.............

DSC02965.jpg

After many, many dry fit trials, I assessed that the best way to get Heinz to fit was to chop him up. I wanted a way to get his lower and upper halves into separate parts, that could later readily, easily and accurately be put back into the correct position, after painting. I also had to basically cut the entire seat bottom off to get him to fit.....................but you can literally only see the top of the back with him in position, so I wasnt worried about it.

Here is my solution. I got Heinz in the position I needed him before gluing in the pit tub, then I copped his hands off to round out his sleeve holes for a more realistic look (an old Shep Paine trick) and smoothed his hands, then drilled a small hold "Vlad the Impailer" style up through the poor guys bottom up into his torso.

Then I chopped him up right below the parachute pack at an angle that will make seeing the joint once hes seated literally impossible to see:

DSC02980.jpg

Next I used a new sharp drill bit, and by hand rounded out the space where Heinz's hands will go for a more realistic look to the sleeve ends................then I coated his bottom and top torso joints with a layer of bare metal foil glue and let it set up.

Then, I simply put the metal rod in, and gently pushed his two halves together, temporarily joining him as one, in order to prep, paint, and shadow him:

DSC02984.jpg

DSC02985.jpg

DSC02986.jpg

Once I have him complete, I can easily separate him, install his legs in the pit, then fiddle his torso into position, and glue it on his legs.

I shot the base pit still yet to be detailed and the heavily modified seat with some Mr Surfacer 1500:

DSC02982.jpg

DSC02983.jpg

MORE.......................................