The Air War Over Vietnam Group Build Discussion Thread

LSP_Paul

Guest Peterpools

Paul

The Marines used them in the early days of the war: The photo I posted before : " U.S. Marine Corps Grumman TF-9J Cougar (BuNo 147384) of Headquarters and Maintenance Squadron 13 (H&MS-13) at Chu Lai, Vietnam. H&MS-11 and H&MS-13 used the Cougar as a fast forward air control aircraft until being replaced by the Douglas TA-4F Skyhawk."

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

The Marines also used the F3D Skyknight early on as an Electronics Warfare bird.

Yep, Evidently Skynights served almost the whole conflict in one form or another and there is a great VAC kit in 32 from Tigger Models. :)

Paul

My uncle Al flew the AP2H for the Navy during Operation Igloo White dropping sensors and destroying truck parks along the ho chi minh trail. I built a 72nd scale kit years ago for him, I think I could do one in 32nd, may need some help with making Vac Canopies, but the rest I am sure I could do. We have a real one just up the road in Mc Minville Oregon I can go take pics of and measure if needed. So I am seriously considering it.

Paul

Edited by av8shunmodels

I have seen the sensor things they dropped. In high school I worked in a surplus store and they had a couple of those things, minus the electronics of course, for sale in the store. Along with other odds n ends.

If I recall, Guillows makes a nice 1/32 DC-3 / C-47 kit, could be skinned with plastic and detailed out as an AC-47  Puff the Magic Dragon.. 

That would be something...

Edited by av8shunmodels

I may break out my Trumpy 105G and convert it to an F "Wild Weasel" as I've already done a G.

Unless Trumpy releases the 100F, then I'll make it a "Wild Weasel"

Already had plans to do a complete Weasel line and this will help to do the 105E. Gotta Love guys who make themselves targets

May need to plan more then 6 months as I see most of the past GB's have been l averaging 7 to 10 months 

Or do a diorama of my brother returning from last mission in the F-4 :frantic:  :frantic:  :piliot:  :mental:

Jack

Edited by marauderdriver

Think I'm going to do a Huey...a nice change for me. Gonna try and hammer on the old Monogram 1/24 scale UH-1.

Dad was a Slick pilot from 66-72, so I'll be doing one of his birds. Nice to have 1st-person reference photos...lol.

Jeff

Very Cool Jeff!  I recall building one of those when I was 11 or 12  I'm pretty sure I "flew" it around so much it outside in the back yard supporting my army men in the mud piles etc. it  finally fell apart..It will be nice to see an adult make one!  

Paul

I may break out my Trumpy 105G and convert it to an E "Wild Weasel" as I've already done a G.

Unless Trumpy releases the 100F, then I'll make it a "Wild Weasel"

Already had plans to do a complete Weasel line and this will help to do the 105E

May need to plan more then 6 months as I see most of the past GB's have been l averaging 7 to 10 months 

Or do a diorama of my brother returning from last mission in the F-4 :frantic:  :frantic:  :piliot:  :mental:

Jack

Jack, I'm open to suggestions and going on past GB guidelines for sure. I'm still waiting for LSP Staff Input.

As to the Thud, Heck yeah! 

Paul