CF-104

LSP_Ron

Do you thin your black Peter? I didn't and that would play a role in drying times also

Last night I sprayed the spinner on the Texan with Alclad Gloss Black, unthinned at the maximum pressure I could muster (around 12 PSI I estimate). It went down initially with a slightly pebbly texture, but after a few moments with a hairdryer things seemed to smooth out. I then did a flash coat with lacquer thinner and the dregs of the AGB in the paint cup and left it to dry overnight. Seems perfectly dry this morning!

Kev

[...]

An old car painting trick (my dad was a body/paint man) was a final light coat of pure lacquer thinner. It will melt the paint and level it out, a great trick for high flake colors as it also allows the flake to level and even out, removing spray pattern and orange peel.

That hint is solid gold! Gotta have to try that next time I tackle a car kit...

Pressure seems always a bit of experimenting, recently I achieved a super smooth coat with floor polish (something I usually have trouble with) by accident, I simply forgot to reduce the pressure, after cranking it up for a layer of Vallejo primer. All the years before with my old diaphragm compressor and tendentially to much pressure, I usually ended up with an orange peel. Go figure!

That hint is solid gold! Gotta have to try that next time I tackle a car kit...

Pressure seems always a bit of experimenting, recently I achieved a super smooth coat with floor polish (something I usually have trouble with) by accident, I simply forgot to reduce the pressure, after cranking it up for a layer of Vallejo primer. All the years before with my old diaphragm compressor and tendentially to much pressure, I usually ended up with an orange peel. Go figure!

One caveat on the tip, the paint has to have been thinned with Lacquer also. In the auto world it moved from Lacquer thinner to reducers but the technique still worked. 

TaDa

All in polished alum. Next will be the darker shades for the tail, some black and I am decaling. I was getting a little nervous spraying the silver. The metal flake creates a lot of over spray that statically sticks to the model as your spraying, but it all worked out.  Admittedly though, the heavy panel lines are reminiscent of an old matchbox kit. That is a disappointment.

P3050009_zps34f88ed1.jpg

P3050008_zpsf16f0abf.jpg

P3050007_zpsf09fa499.jpg

P3050006_zps31b2e2f6.jpg

P3050005_zps94116d22.jpg

More paint work done, I am enjoying this build a lot. I sprayed the darker tail panel  areas using a 50/50 mix of Alclad dull alum. and steel. It' turned out pretty neat in that it changes color depth with perception angle. 

This kit is defiantly not value for money for detail or surface detail but it is a fun build. Perhaps if the price was cut by about a third it would really take off. It's got good bones but details will have to come from AM or scratch building. 

P3060011_zpsda0182e5.jpg

P3060010_zps1a72bfcc.jpg

P3060012_zps9ce047c0.jpg

P3060013_zpsd9e6fdec.jpg

P3060014_zpse19bd434.jpg

P3060015_zpse8595138.jpg

P3060016_zps999e0333.jpg

P3060017_zps78720fc0.jpg