1/24 Airfix Mosquito 235 Sqdn RAF Portreath

ajaycad

I thought it about time I started on my example of this kit. Those of you who have built this kit will agree that there is so much more detail that can be added, which is what I'm going to try and accomplish.

I'm building HR118 "W" from 235 Sqdn Coastal Command stationed at RAF Portreath circa June 1944. Reason for that is that I live a few miles from Portreath, and recently read a book by Graham Smith - Devon and Cornwall Airfields in the Second World War.

Add ons I have acquired are as follows:

Master Models .303 Browning barrels and 20mm Hispano Cannons

Paragon .303 Ammo feed chutes - very rare now.

Miracle Masks markings.

Mastercaster resin mainwheels

Cammett Fasteners and grille set

Miles of lead wire and a fair bit of plasticard !!

I'm also going to use a set of Miracle Masks instead of regular decals, this will be a bit of a leap into the unknown as I have never used masksbefore, but I think that in this scale its the best option.

Paint will, at the moment, be either Gunze (my favourite), Xtracrylix or Tamiya.

Here goes......

Photos of the actual cockpit show many discs attached to the cockpit sidewalls, enabling all the fittings to be secured to the cockpit walls. I have used 3mm sequins superglued to the inside of the cockpit to represent these.

f8e60a60-438f-4a8f-bc4d-05dc6eb64cd8_zps[/url]

Rear cockpit bulkhead. Control rods and brackets from stock and rod. The moulded on cables were removed and substituted with lead wire.

20140108_164102_zps5dd90ea8.jpg

Partially complete port cockpit wall. The oxygen hose was made by wrapping lead wire around a length of stiff 0.5mm wire and bent to shape. Then sealed with very thin cyano.

20140120_140139_zpsafe29288.jpg

Incomplete starboard side. Switches were added to the control panel to improve this area.

20140120_140334_zps8451cadf.jpg

Edited by ajaycad

Whoa, great to see another of these beauties get started.  What a great start already.  How far do you plan to go with corrections for the airframe?

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks for the comment Anthony. I plan on adding as much as I can especially in the bomb and gun bays. Photos of the real aircraft show a multitude of wiring and hydraulics pipelines, so these areas I will try and improve.

Few more pictures......fuselage joined and cockpit 90% complete. Seats still to be installed and the wiring/GEE radio installation finished off once the wing assembly is attached. Its at this stage that I realise my workspace is not big enough for this project !!!

20140125_093017_zps3fkzplc3.jpg

20140125_092758_zpsjf0d225u.jpg

I have also modified the wing assembly and installed the reinforcing plates. Cut from the thinnest plasticard sheet I could get and attached using Zap cyano, then overpainted with thinned Mr Surfacer 500 and sanded.

20140125_092328_zpsuq5dbq6p.jpg

20140125_092255_zpsebyyt84k.jpg

The wing surface detail is a little simplified on this kit. There are various access hatches and panels on the upper and lower surfaces of the wings. Some have rivet detail, some don't so I have added this, but this detail should really have been incorporated in the moulding process especially for an aircraft in this scale, but its all part of the hobby.

Great update!  I agree, more can be added to the wing details.  I am just trying to figure out how to tackle each panel myself.

I am reworking the spinners at the moment for a master pattern as they are too blunt.  You can make them look a little better by mounting them on a Dremmel and running sandpaper around the tip to make them a bit more pointy.....if you want to. They need a backplate as well.

Great update as always

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...