F2G Corsair "Race 18"

elric

Well another racer finished, this one from Lone Star Models a conversion, doner kit being the old 1972 Revell Corsair II, although only the wings, tailplane, undercart+doors were used.

Had fun building a corn cob seeing that only a 1/3 of the engine was supplied with the conv.

Plus a fair bit of Scratch, new canopy/windshield, 80% of the engine, 70% of the cockpit, Cowling air intake & headrest section.

DSCF2063640x404_zps16f63399.jpg

DSCF2075640x427_zps1761892d.jpg

DSCF2076522x640_zpsbf670c10.jpg

DSCF2072640x582_zpsb39212bd.jpg

Edited by elric

Hi guys,

I have been away the weekend so could not answer your great comments thanks anyway, was at a military

show which I had been invited to display my 34 race planes as they loved the splash of color.

put the F2G in their comp. civil category & came away with a bronze medal.

Kev, yes you can publish this on the web, ok.

Bryan, yep it was about the same time as race "57" & race "94" started up owned by a few people

came to Ron Puckett who flew it in the Thompson Trophy at Cleveland, eventually was broken up for scrap,the engine being sold on.

Brian, the Lone Star conv. I would put in the same category as the XS models conv. honestly in fact

the XS might be a slight bit better?.

Bob.

Brian, the Lone Star conv. I would put in the same category as the XS models conv. honestly in fact

the XS might be a slight bit better?.

Hrmmmmm...............

Now thats saying something, cause the XS Models conv is boarding on a very seamy pile of you-know-what!   There was 1 LSPer who used the XS models conversion to build his F2G. (couldn't find the link offhand)

Per his WIP, (since I have not built the conversion yet) apparently the resin is SO bad in fact (Each time he filled w/CA and filler, only to sand and expose MORE pin holes in the resin), that he had to cover the exposed area w/card stock to prevent more holes in the resin from being exposed.

And the corncob (there was a beautiful example on display w/no airframe at Reno this year) in the XS Models kit is bordering on unusable............makes the LS Models OOB 1/3rd of an R-4360 look pretty great!