TAMIYA P-51D OLD CROW: UPDATE 1/4/14: FINISHED & IN THE BOOK

Guest Peterpools

Nice work Peter! Chuck is right though; the times that I've used the Alclad Gloss Black, it seemed to remain tacky for an awfully long time. A couple of times I overcoated it with heavily-thinned Humbrol Gloss Black, and this seemed to help a bit.

Kev

Guest Peterpools

Hi Dan

Thanks for checking in. So far, everything is on schedule and seems to be going as planned. Of course, I have my fingers crossed.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

HI Chuck

I did a few test 'shoots' on the unused tails a few weeks ago following Alcalds directions and everything went OK. I have reinforcements standing by just in case: Kyrlon - Fusion,(full new spray can) Tamiya (a full new bottle) and Model Master enamel (a full new bottle). So far, happily no problems to report after checking the patient! Totally agree about the closed container problems and only use it for the first few hours, opening the lid every 15 or 20 minutes to let the gases out. Right now the Mustang is still in the container with the lid permanently off for the balance of the drying period.

From my limited experience with Alclad Black Base, 24 hours is the minimum drying time for a good set. Tomorrow, I'll test and see how dry it really is, being very careful; testing for tackiness and order. If there is the slightest hint of a odors, it's not dry enough to touch and if it is the slightest bit tacky, leave the Mustang alone for another 24 hours. On my test sample, I I didn't handle the tails for 48 hours but after 24 hours, they were close to passing the test. Glossy paints take a lot longer to dyr and whatever time is needed, that will be the rule to follow,

Chuck, absolutely appreciate you being "bossy" and keeping an eye out for problems along the way.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thank Kev

Greatly appreciate the info heads up. So far so good and I'll be care to keep checking. Absolutely agree about the container and the Mustang needing fresh air to dry properly. I always use this procedure when doing a gloss finish and most liley it's over kill but it does seem to work. I think the most important part of the procedure is to just let the paint take it's time in curing as temperature, humidity, paint application thickness and Lady Luck all have a Big part to play. I've found, lacquer like to dry from the inside out, after taking a set and enamels like to dry from the outside in after taking a set. Gloss finishes just need to be treated differently.

I'll let everyone know how the curing process is proceeding tomorrow.

Peter

This looks cool so far Peter. Good to see that you're to the painting stage with the gloss black. I've thought about using that stuff, but haven't tried it before. Maybe I will with an upcoming build.

Keep up the great work

Matt  :frantic:

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Matt, much appreciated

I checked the wings tonight at around 12:30 AM and the gloss finish seems to be getting deeper and deeper. So far with my limited experience with the Alclad Gloss Black Base, I couldn't be happier. Gloss finishes take a long time to thoroughly dry completely and it appears as if the wings will need another day to be on the safe side, which is fine.

Lots to do while the wings are drying as I'm thinking of displaying Old Crow in a simple vignette setting and it will give a a chance to get going on it.

Peter

Hi Peter, looks really good the glossy black, just take yout time to let it dry, is the key for a perfect alclad finish, my project is on hold, i have spent the hole last week stuck on the cockpit of the astra, flying back and forth from FLL to Venezuela every two days it feel like i am driving a regular schedule bus, jejejejeje, but i love to be seating there, keep watching your progress

Best regards

Jorge

Guest Peterpools

Hi Jorge

Thanks so much and shall do. Looks like I'll be painting the drop tanks, canopy and the last of the assemblies, so all the parts are on about the same pace.

Nothing like being stuck in traffic in the left hand seat - enjoy the view.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Shep

Thanks Buddy, much appreciated. Just checked the wings and they are very glossy but will need at least one more day to dry. No time like the present, shot the Gloss Black on the drop tanks ... looks pretty good and I'm starting to run out of fingers.

Peter

Peter, she's looking great. Regarding the gloss black base, have you tried Tamiya's gloss black out of the spray can? It's lacquer to begin with and sprays wonderfully. Dries real quick too and it'll polish out nicely if you get a bit of orange peel in the finish. Either way it looks like you've got a good handle on 'er and I look forward to seein' 'er with some shiny Alclad.

Cheers,

Wolf

Guest Peterpools

Hi Wolf

Thanks for checking in. I haven't tried Tamiya's gloss black from the rattle can but I will give it a try, as I'm heading off to the LHS tomorrow for some much needed supplies. I use Tamiya' Fine Gray and White Primer from the rattle can and get super smooth results every time. I'm into day two now and the wings are nearly dry and hopefully late tomorrow, I'll be able to hold the Mustang by the wings (wearing my latex gloves) and shoot the fuselage.

So far things are looking better then expected but I don't want to jinx anything.

Any luck and maybe by Sunday, the first layers of Alclad Aluminum will be going on.

Peter