TAMIYA P-51D OLD CROW: UPDATE 1/4/14: FINISHED & IN THE BOOK

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 12/7/13: PAINTING THE FUSELAGE

Good news and not so good news. Lets start with the not so good news: after letting the wings dry for three full pays and they felt dry and had no odor, I decided it was time to shoot the fuselage. Cleaned and prep and ready to go, I forgot to put on the Iwata's color cup lid and you guessed it, spilled some paint on the wings! Blotted off the spill and it should buff out just fine. Off course, thinking the wings were dry, I discovered some glove prints on them after painting the fuselage. Nothing major and they should buff out as well.

Painting the Gloss Black Base on the fuselage seemed to go fine and no further disasters. I'm going to let the fuselage and everything dry for at least 5-7 days and hopefully then, should be able to buff out my goofs and then get ready for the Alclad. Seems the Gloss Black Base needs a lot of time to thoroughly dry and I rushed it; now have to pay for rushing. In my car modeling days, I use to use Model Master Enamels and they took and easy week plus to dry, so I should have known better.

My apologies for the very poor photos but I took two very quick grab shots before setting Old Crow on the side to dry. 30 minutes in the drying bin and then resting on a table, not to be touch until, whenever!

Thank for checking in

Peter

PCW_4427_zpsffc9d7b2.jpg

PCW_4429_zpsc17b491f.jpg

Hi Peter,

When I read this not so good news, let me tell you that youre not the only one, happened to me more than one time. lessons learned now I guess. :piliot:

Your Bud Anderson's Old Crow build is looking outstanding, love it. 

Have you ever had issues with Alclad dealing with paint peeling off after removing masking tape? 

Cheers

Maurice

Peter, what can I add. It looks just great. And don't sell yourself short. OK, you had a little luck, but who was holding the air brush? Good job my friend.........Harv :popcorn:

Edited by Guest

Guest Peterpools

SD

If I had your ability and talent to foil, I wouldn't need to go the Alclad route. Foiling is a skill I really need to learn and maybe even come close to conquering.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Maurice

Much appreciate the kind words. So far, I've been very fortunate that I've never had either the Gloss Black Base or the Alclad itself peel when removing masking tape. Of course, now that I said it, the jinx will be on and masking is the next part of the process for Old Crow. From my limited experience with Alclad, thoroughly washing down the model before applying the base, since primer is not used and all the moldinmg mold release and oil from our hands need to be removed. Besides the finger print issue, the Gloss Black Base, needs to fully dry and cure, as it provides the only means for the Alclad metal finishes to bond to the model. Sealing the Alclad before masking really won't work, as the various shades of aluminum need to be masked out and then applied. Choose your weapon of choice carefully and the best masking tape for my money, is Tamiya tape. De-tack the tape and then apply. After painting, remove the tape very carefully, pulling the tape back along itself and NEVER straight up, as this just adds extra stress to the Alclad and of course, keep your fingers and toes crossed for and extra added measure of good luck.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Vandy

Thanks for the info, as I never heard of them but did a quick Google search and now I can see why some of the guys gloves are blue, while most latex gloves are white. Seems a 100 glove box is a mere $8 - sure is in the ball park and will order a box today to try.

Thanks again for the suggestion and information.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Harv

Yup, the buck stops with me and it's all a learning curve. If the old saying is true: You learn by your mistakes, I sure have learned a lot. Above everything else on Old Crow's build, I found out what the little hole is for on the Iwata cover cup id is for.

Peter

Hi Pete,

I appreciate your explanation on how to work Alclad paint out, it's very informative.

I was asking the question because I'm thinking of my next project that will be this Tamiya P-51 in very special markings given this time of the year. I'm thinking of a tribute to Major George Preddy. His mount of June 1944 with full D-Day stripes wraped all around fuselage and wings. The possible challenge I foresee is to find good hexagonal thread tires required to accurately represent it. Barracuda is offering such tires but it's not recommended for Tamiya kit because the type of hub mouting to the landing gear leg axle.

Cheers and keep it coming.

M

Edited by Maurice

Guest Peterpools

Maurice

Surely will be looking forward to your Major Preddy P-51 build. If you haven't built a Tamiya P-51 yet, you are going to be in for a treat. Old Crow does have lower fuselage invasion stripes so I'll be covering new ground as well. As far as the tires go, I used Barracuda's tires and hubs on my Big Beautiful Doll P-51 build a while back. There really isn't much of a problem mounting the Barracuda hubs to the Tamiya's axles; just a bit of sanding and reaming out the hubs a tiny bit. after that, the fit was perfect.

Right now, I'm knee deep in the prop, spinner painting and decaling. Hopefully I'll have another update Friday or Saturday.

Always glad to help out

Peter

Hi Peter, paint job looks excellent after all your troubles, never used Alcad paint, so have been reading what you did.

I have bought some so will try out when I get to that stage of the build. Yours and Mal's Mustangs has inspired me to build mine.

I have been building one along side the Cat, going to do a Canadian spec not sure yet which one, just thought I would show you where I'am now.

IMG_6454_zps61ffd721.jpg[/url]

IMG_6453_zpsa2b69a70.jpg[/url]

Still a very long way to go to get to the paint job.

Regards

Richard

Way to go Peter! Sorry but I couldn't help but laugh when you wrote about your airbrush problems only to discover it was a plugged vent hole in your paint cup lid. That's exactly the kind of stuff that happens to me. At least you know that your airbrush is as clean as it can get! Really lookin' forward to seein' how she progresses but she's sure comin' along nicely.

Cheers,

Wolf

Hi Peter, paint job looks excellent after all your troubles, never used Alcad paint, so have been reading what you did.

I have bought some so will try out when I get to that stage of the build. Yours and Mal's Mustangs has inspired me to build mine.

I have been building one along side the Cat, going to do a Canadian spec not sure yet which one, just thought I would show you where I'am now.

IMG_6454_zps61ffd721.jpg[/url]

IMG_6453_zpsa2b69a70.jpg[/url]

Still a very long way to go to get to the paint job.

Regards

Richard

Hey Richard, don't want to hijack this thread but are you plannin' on starting a build thread on your Mustang as well? I see some Eduard PE elements on your build. We've simply got to see more my friend!

Cheers,

Wolf