RCAF P-51D Tamiya

ade rowlands

There is evidence that some RCAF Mustang wheel wells were painted an interior green colour, darker than the cockpit Interior Green, closer to bronze green. The example at the War Museum in London I believe, and the one at the Aviation Museum in Ottawa are both painted that way. Both of those examples went straight to museums and were preserved not restored (except that both had an exterior repaint to represent other aircraft, the interiors were left as is). As you note, the clam-shell doors and gear leg covers were left aluminum (somewhere during an exterior repaint of the Canadian example the gear legs and covers were painted black!).

In addition, in a number of photos of the undersides of RCAF Mustangs you can see inside the wells (including the rear spar) painted in a dark colour which can't be attributed to shadow or low light. I've looked through the colour photos I have from the period but unfortunately no one found the undersides worthy of using colour film.  I'll try to post b&w photos for you later this weekend (sorry, busy with an IPMS show in Ottawa this weekend...gotta reduce the stash!)

There are a few other details of 9592 I can share that didn't make it to the instruction sheet for the Leading Edge decals.

Richard

There is evidence that some RCAF Mustang wheel wells were painted an interior green colour, darker than the cockpit Interior Green, closer to bronze green. The example at the War Museum in London I believe, and the one at the Aviation Museum in Ottawa are both painted that way. Both of those examples went straight to museums and were preserved not restored (except that both had an exterior repaint to represent other aircraft, the interiors were left as is). As you note, the clam-shell doors and gear leg covers were left aluminum (somewhere during an exterior repaint of the Canadian example the gear legs and covers were painted black!).

In addition, in a number of photos of the undersides of RCAF Mustangs you can see inside the wells (including the rear spar) painted in a dark colour which can't be attributed to shadow or low light. I've looked through the colour photos I have from the period but unfortunately no one found the undersides worthy of using colour film.  I'll try to post b&w photos for you later this weekend (sorry, busy with an IPMS show in Ottawa this weekend...gotta reduce the stash!)

There are a few other details of 9592 I can share that didn't make it to the instruction sheet for the Leading Edge decals.

Richard

Richard, any help would be appreciated massively. I wasnt sure if the Hendon example was a straight to museum job or if it was a restored warbird that was donated once its flying days were over. Think I'm going to go with a dark green.

I tried trimming them,but theyre so tiny and white on white paper so it made them really hard to see to trim

Hi PZ.

Unfortunately, its the nature of the beast. Applying tiny cockpit stencils is, by definition, really fussy work. The white ink against light blue backing paper is the way it is. Cartograf does not offer decal paper in any other color.

The only thing I can suggest is more light and more magnification.

My eyesight is not what it once was, but I managed to get them all installed. Its not exactly relaxing work, but the payoff is a great looking cockpit.

Whether it is too fussy and/or too much work is a personal decision.

Happy modelling!  Roy

Richard, any help would be appreciated massively. I wasnt sure if the Hendon example was a straight to museum job or if it was a restored warbird that was donated once its flying days were over. Think I'm going to go with a dark green.

I'd say restored? these are pics of that plane that I took a few years ago.

P9090281_zps57cac044.jpg

P9090282_zps203794f4.jpg

P9090283_zpsb921aa82.jpg

P9090284_zps6521d2e2.jpg

P9090285_zpsfb3bad60.jpg

Yes, the example at Hendon (ex-RCAF 9235) passed through several hands before it was restored.

The one hanging in the Imperial War Museum in Lambeth (ex-RCAF 9246) was sent there from St. Jean, Quebec where it serves as a gate guardian. It was painted for display as Big Beautiful Doll but the interior is preserved as is. There was a  thread on ARC where Edgar Brooks provided photos of the cockpit interior (which was one of the ones sprayed matte black) and commented that he had seen the wheel wells which were painted green "not a US green but a slightly darker green as seen in the RAF Museum's Canadair Sabre 4."

I am just on my way out the door but I'll try to post photos tomorrow of the Ottawa example. Sorry, just a busy weekend! Sold tons of kits at Capcon in Ottawa.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

In the interests of getting something done I went with a Zinc Chromate Green which I had to hand, didn't have a Bronze Green like I thought I did from when I did my P-47. At the moment it looks quite vivid but by the time I've thrown a wash in there it should tone it down some. And as so often happens I went to pop something in the P-47 box (it's waiting some new wings after a **** up) and what do I find but my jar of Gunze Bronze Green. Oh well. Back on night shift so any progress will be slow and quite minor this week.

Edited by ade rowlands

Yes, the example at Hendon (ex-RCAF 9235) passed through several hands before it was restored.

The one hanging in the Imperial War Museum in Lambeth (ex-RCAF 9246) was sent there from St. Jean, Quebec where it serves as a gate guardian. It was painted for display as Big Beautiful Doll but the interior is preserved as is. There was a  thread on ARC where Edgar Brooks provided photos of the cockpit interior (which was one of the ones sprayed matte black) and commented that he had seen the wheel wells which were painted green "not a US green but a slightly darker green as seen in the RAF Museum's Canadair Sabre 4."

I am just on my way out the door but I'll try to post photos tomorrow of the Ottawa example. Sorry, just a busy weekend! Sold tons of kits at Capcon in Ottawa.

Richard

Oh that one! the one in the Imperial war museum up with with the Spitfire in original paint also.  I forgot about that one.

So Putting my airbrush back together after stripping and cleaning it yesterday after clear coating the wheel bays I went to thread the nozzle and noticed it had cracked right around the threading. Meh. Down an airbrush for a few days until a replacement which I just ordered gets here. Somehow I also ended up buying a new Iwata HP-CS to go with my Revolution CR once thats back up and running. Wasnt the plan but I'm going to blame sleep deprivation from working the night shift this week.... Cant think why the part did this though, I use Acrylics 95% of the time with some Alclad now and again and the Alclad gloss and Klear Kotes. Vallejo airbrush cleaner at the end of the session and a quick spray od the badger aerosol stuff for more stubborn build up. Stripped down completly at the end of every build but never left to soak for more than 6 hours or so. Just one of those things maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

More proof that I'm still plugging away on this than anything really. Joined the fuselage together, dont think I'd quite sanded enough off the width of the cockpit foor enough to allow for the Barracuda sidewalls. Thought I had when I dry fitted everything, but this was before priming, painting and flatting so maybe those accumulated layers were enough to throw it out slightly. only found out I needed to sand anything by accident anyway, could have done with a note in the Barracuda instructions. Found an article on his blog by accident whilst looking for something else. So the fuselage joining took a bit more pressure than normal. Once Dry I thought I'd better test fit the wings and yeah the fuselage was just that little bit too wide at the wing join to make it a nice easy drop in. Fuselage floor was well and truly super glued in place so nothing I could do but sand a little here and there around the wings and fuselage. So once I had a nice fit of the wings to fuse I thought I'd better throw some glue in there right away because I didnt fancy trying to get it all lined up again nicely twice. So this is currently where I'm at. Gear bay is Vallejo Zinc Chromate Green, the wrong choice I feel, only found my jar of Gunze Bronze Green after painting. I've had no joy stripping Vallejo model air, I get a gooey gunky melted rubber mess when I've tried in the past and didnt fancy spraying Gunze over the Vallejo, it'd change the tone for a start and I didnt want to lose detail so stuck with the Vallejo Green. Then do you think I could get it to flat? Tried all the flats and mattes I have on some scrap and all ended up slightly glossy. So all these minor set backs left me just staring at the kit for a week or so wondering whether to carry on or not. So heres some pics. Next up is figuring the placement of the rocket launch stubs strengthening plate and some fuselage cleaning up. Canopy and windscreen have been Kleared and are drying. Not far off from paint then hopefully.

IMG_1747_zps54da6159.jpg

IMG_1748_zpsada6d1f7.jpg

IMG_1750_zpsdbcdb973.jpg

She's looking really good!

About the reinforcing plate for the rocket stubs...you shouldn't need those for an RCAF Mustang, the stubs were attached directly to the wing. I promise to post photos and drawings tonight, along with a bit more info you might find useful.

Cheers,

Richard (supposed to be working)

Hmm should be fun working out where I need to drill the holes now the wings are joined. Wonder if the holding it up to a bright light trick will work.

I'm supposed to be working too but here I am cruising LSP between reading articles in this months Flypast magazine. Even better it's supposed to be my day off so it's over time pay rate.