1/32nd scale vacform Halifax - COMPLETED

What an incredible build Tom! I just went through the entire thread again and I'm absolutely amazed by the amount of work you've put in so far and how well it's all been done. I was blown away by your B-29 build an no less so by the Halifax. Wow! Have fun building up and detailing the Merlin ;) Are you planning on using the Tamiya Merlin as a base?

Cheers,

Wolf

What an incredible build Tom! I just went through the entire thread again and I'm absolutely amazed by the amount of work you've put in so far and how well it's all been done. I was blown away by your B-29 build an no less so by the Halifax. Wow! Have fun building up and detailing the Merlin ;) Are you planning on using the Tamiya Merlin as a base?

Cheers,

Wolf

Cheers Wolf,

Yes I will be using the Tamiya Merlin as a base but it'll require a fair bit of modification as the version I need doesn't have the two-stage supercharger. I'm surprised no after-market manufacturer does a series of 1/32nd scale Merlin engines, I can't find any on-line and haven't seen any so Tamiya will be coming to the rescue. 

Tom

Edited by tomprobert

Another update - I've finished the decalling process, which required raiding the spares box as well as making my own. The serial numbers came from an Xtradecal sheet, and the fin flashes were made from block decal, again from Xtradecal, measured carefully and cut to shape. 

The whole airframe has had a base coat of flat varnish, and then I added some more variation to the green and brown as I felt it was a little 'flat' and in this scale needed some more life injected into it. I followed pictures of the real aircraft as much as possible to get a 'used but not abused' look, as well as trying to keep the scale effect. There are about four different shades of the camouflage colours which were applied lightly and built up with the airbrush. The black has had a lot less done to it as period photos show this seemed to wear a lot better than the upper colours, but I may well add a little wear with pastels at some point. 

S1030406.jpg

S1030409.jpg

S1030412.jpg

S1030414.jpg

S1030417.jpg

S1030419.jpg

I think my next task is to give the model a final flat coat, and then finish the exhausts and apply some staining across the wings.

Until the next update, 

Tom

Beautiful, Tom!  That is quite a sight to see!  

The paint fading on those panels looks superb. Very subtle yet noticeable without being too contrasting.  Just perfect.

The markings round up the effect very nicely too.

You are SO close to now call it done!  Woohoo!

Congrats,

Fab

Beautiful, Tom!  That is quite a sight to see!  

The paint fading on those panels looks superb. Very subtle yet noticeable without being too contrasting.  Just perfect.

The markings round up the effect very nicely too.

You are SO close to now call it done!  Woohoo!

Congrats,

Fab

Thanks for the kind words Fab.

You say I'm nearly there but off the top of my head here's a 'to-do' list:

• Finish the landing gear and scratch the u/c doors
  • Finish and add exhausts
  • Finish detailing the bomb-bay and wing cells - I may well scratch build some long range fuel tanks for the main bay
  • Scratch build the upper and tail turret interiors
  • Mould my own mid-upper turret
  • Complete the nose transparency and scratch the bomb sight, gun mountings and remaining instrumentation
  • Complete remaining cockpit transparencies
  • Build the no2 engine firewall and add the Merlin

I'm sure there's more too! I think meeting the deadline for this group build will be a challenge!

Tom

Edit: Paint and add the propellers, too!  :)

Edited by tomprobert

Okay, nevermind that part where i said "so close"  LOL....

Man! after analyzing your "short" list  I know what you mean!  not so close, huh?

Let's hope with can make it to the deadline!

Keep attacking this monster!

I've had the airbrush out this afternoon and have applied the exhaust stains to the upper wing of the Halifax. The base colour is Xtracolour 'tyre black' and then I've added some thinned Humbrol light grey over the top nearest to the exhaust outlets to replicate the lead deposits after running lean in the cruise. The picture show this to good effect (used for illustrative purposes only):

HP_Halifax_Bomberson_dispersal.jpg

Any my attempt:

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

I've also removed the masking now it's had a final flat coat, and I am really pleased with how it looks. It needs a bit of a neatening up in places but that's no great problem:

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

I will add the remaining glazing at the end of the build - it's handy being able to get into the cockpit incase any remaining sanding debris gets into view!

I've taken a few shots of the model in natural sunlight this afternoon to show you the overall paintjob now that it is finished:

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

Slowly getting there...

Tom

Stunning! A question for those of us ignorant in the ways of British bombers; what is the cutout on the trailing edge of the port wing for? I notice it has a red outline, but there's no corresponding marking on the starboard side.

Stunning! A question for those of us ignorant in the ways of British bombers; what is the cutout on the trailing edge of the port wing for? I notice it has a red outline, but there's no corresponding marking on the starboard side.

Thank you - and the cut out is for the dinghy. The skin covering the hatch was very thin and thus the red outline was a warning. You'll notice the Lancaster has this hatch on the right wing.

I plan to make the stowed dinghy from Milliput to create a little more interest.

Tom