1/32 Hasegawa P47D Russian Navy...and a little more

Rick K

Hasegawa's 1:32 P47D Jug for this double build. Russian 255 IAP, Northern Fleet and "Slick Chick" 368FG/395FS. The Russian Jug will get the PE treatment/wheels/blast tubes while Slick Chick will be OOB with exception of belts/wheels/blast tubes.

Slick Chick WIP link:  P47 Slick Chick

Aftermarket items include:

Eduard Big Ed for the Russian Jug

HGW Belts for Russian Jug

Eduard Belts for Slick Chick

Barracuda Wheel set for both Jugs

Hasegawa brass Blast Tubes for both Jugs

AML decals for Russian Jug

Kits World decals for Slick Chick

P47_Art02copy.jpg

TEST FIT

P47DryFit07-1.jpg

General fit seems pretty good with no issues projected on seams, wing roots...however

P47DryFit061.jpg

P47DryFit05copy.jpg

about 1mm difference between lower cowling and fuselage. i have a plan...

IN THE PITS

644379_408075519266846_1593025282_n.jpg

A nice comparison of the Eduard PE enhanced cockpit on left with HGW textile seatbelts for the Russian Jug and Out Of Box construction of cockpit for Slick Chick on the right with only enhancement being the PE seatbelts, will give both pits and belts a drk brown/black wash.

539669_408075525933512_1407200078_n.jpg

Ready for some assembly line painting. Wheel wells, cowlings and PW-R2800 being cleaned and prepped for painting.

"SLICK CHICK" PACKS A PUNCH

03BombCompare.jpg"Slick Chick" will pack a punch with 500lb GP bombs and M10 bazookas (borrowed from a Trumpy P47N). Taking the kit supplied bombs I gve them the Eduard PE Treatment. Comparison shows difference. Textured surface achieve by painting bomb with Mr Surfacer 500 then "stippled" with short brush.

04BombCompare.jpg

Detail is much improved.

Bombs_ODPainted.jpg

Bombs for "Slick Chick" painted OD. Cast iron texture is hard to see in this pic, but I am happy with results. Sorry about the dust! Detail painting, yellow ID stripes, fuse wires and weathering will be added later.

Edited by Rick K

BAZOOKA ENHANCEMENT

Bazooka01_LeadWire.jpg

The bazookas are from a Trumpy P47N. Using flat lead wire (UMM-USA FLW103 Flat Lead Wires 1.0 X 0.3mm) and rivet tool I enhanced the detail on the tubes.

Bazooka02_LeadWire.jpg

Painted bazooka (black base then OD) shows good detail otherwise lost. Weathering and ignition wires on deck for a later time.

PITS DONE

(well almost)

07TUB_IPCompare.jpg

Left pit is the Russian Jug, all Eduard PE with exception of the HGW belts. "Slick Chick" pit is out of box with Eduard PE belts added and detail picked out with Vallejo paints. The IP decal required about 6 coats of Mr. Mark Softer to get settled nicely. Some dry brushing with flat silver followed by a thinned wash of brown with touch of black applied globally then dials were all hit with a drop Vallejo's Still Water.

06TubOnlyCompare.jpg

Gunsight glass on "Slick Chick" (left) will be replaced with clear sheet styrene.

02TubCompare_Sight.jpg

Pits test fitted. The Russian Jug may have the right belt draped over pit edge, not sure yet. That hideous thick gunsight is gone.

03TubCompare_IP.jpg

04EduardTub.jpg

"Slick Chick" pit.

05OutOfBoxTub.jpg

Russian Jug pit.

FIXING HIDEOUS

01GunsightReplace.jpg

Replacing the really thick hideous gunsight. Cut from 0.13mm clear styrene, scored then folded.

02GunsightReplace.jpg

Color me happy. Paint crash pad and all done.

ENGINE MOUNTS

P47DryFit05copy.jpg

Off by about 1mm.

01_EngineMount.jpg

THE DOCTOR IS IN

02_EngineMount.jpg

After fuselage is glued and cured I carefully remove the engine mount. The one piece canopy (I'm using the two piece option for both final builds) is very handy to protect the pit during surgery.

03_EngineMount.jpg

Using 1.6mm styrene angle. 3 pieces are cut and glued, port and starboard sides are easy to position however, the critical bottom piece is dropped 1mm.

04_EngineMount.jpg

Engine mount plug is test fitted for 1st measure check.

09_EngineMount.jpg

2nd test fit (with complete engine parts) shows an acceptable fit.

05_EngineMount.jpg

A .05mm styrene card is placed to recapture space lost from the "saw off" and give the repositioned engine mount some glue area.

06_EngineMount.jpg

Engine mount positioned and glued.

07_EngineMount.jpg

Styrene card shows "saw off" recovery.

10_EngineMount.jpg

Engine mount plug dried and cured in its new position. The final fit is good. Bottom of cowling is flush with fuselage.

08_EngineMount.jpg

Finish and repeat on 2nd Jug.

2 HAPPY CAMPERS

11_EngineMount.jpg

12_EngineMount_NiceSet.jpg

A fine pair of Jugs.

Edited by Rick K

Wow amazing work your doing

keep those updates comming

thanks Neo, more to come soon.

Yep, that's the approach I couldn't remember Rick, and you've pulled it off beautifully. Twice! I only have 3 Revell kits in the stash, so I should be OK... :rolleyes:

Great work.

Kev

Appreciate the kudos Kevin. Despite the bashings this kit receives, it's a fun build. My only angst is the engine plug and that 4 piece cowling.