Silver Widow. Gen. Earl Barnes' P-61A

jacksdad64

Lee

The above photo of the bulkhead is a firewall behind the motor. We are talking about the one in the kit that is not supposed to be there. It would be three rib's forward from where the boom is seprated in your posted photo. Also you would not see the O2 bottels if say bulkhead was installed.

I hope that helps explains what we are talkin about Buddy.

Cheers.

Danny

Thanks for the picture Danny.

So it looks like a two-way valve on the end of the bottles with the pipes exiting the valve and travelling forward.

Well, what I will end up doing may not be wholly accurate but as long as it looks reasonable I will be happy with that.

Also, to mix things up a bit, if you look at the 2 Eduard instruction ( GWH and Revell/ Monogram ) they show the bulkhead as part of their set.

Steve

Quick question.

Upon looking at pictures of the wing intakes I have only seen ones with many more 'fins' than the three & six in the kit.

Can anyone shed any light on this as I cannot proceed to glueing the wings together until this area is done.

10208791z13-1_zpsbd73df1c.jpg

Edited by jacksdad64

Steve In board is three at the face. Out board is Five with a splitter(middel pic) or six vanes. What I think you are seeing is what is farther inside the intake (what is in the last pic). Their is more vanes inside that go at an angle hope this works for you.

[/url]">http://northropp61inductionsys_zps2c89fa02.jpg

[/url]">http://black-4_zpse0b30241.jpg

[/url]">http://MG_6596_zpsbacc9d5e.jpg

I hope this works Steve!!!!! But this is the photo from above mentioned scaned and posted.

[/url]">http://P-61O2bottels_zps4d13e8ca.jpg

Interesting photograph Vandy. You state that this is a P-61C Black Widow, so I can therefore only conlude that they oxygen cylinder storgae design was altered from the six D-2 500 cu.in. cyclinder configuration to a larger capacity three cylinder configuration.

p-61_0002_zpsca4c569b.jpg

p-61_0001_zps4cf0f4b5.jpg

HTH

Derek

This pic is looking into the forward half of the port boom, and if you look, there seems to be a bulkhead there- a bunch of silver piping running across it... Am I the only one who sees this??

Hi Lee,

As Vandy pointed out, we are looking into the aft area of the starboard nacelle boom here, not the forward port boom, so the bulkhead you see is definitely the forward engine firewall bulkhead.

Cheers

Derek

After the discussions on another thread about the interior colour I thought I would put a splash of Tamiya flat green into the cockpit area to see how it looks.

Here it is.

20130430_073104_zps5533da90.jpg

And here is the maam interior.

IMG_2648_zps45c6be9d.jpg

Its a close enough match for me, although it could maybe do with a wee bit of yellow in the mix, and once its all detailed up it should look ok, I think.

Any thoughts?

Steve

Edited by jacksdad64

Color looks good--I'm using Model Master Russian Armor green, but will have some shading/highlighting on it.

I figure these things were 100 percent identical, especially after they got in service.

Your build is looking great! A silver P-61 will be something quite different.

Regards,

Tim W.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I have just been to the LHS and picked up Humbrol 105 for the cockpit as it looks a very good match and also Humbrol 99 for the internals.

I will give them a dab tonight when I get home from work and will report on the results.

Steve

Ok. Here is the interior with a coat of Humbrol 105.

It is not as bright, in reality, as it appears. Also, once its been weathered, sealed and closed up it will darken a wee bit.

20130501_074237_zps96c77bd8.jpg

Also had a go at making the brackets for holding the oxygen bottles. A bit crude at the moment but they should look ok once the bottles, straps and pipes are on and they are painted up. Remember, I am not going for an exact replica just a good representation.

20130501_095901_zps81b6ada7.jpg

And yes, they were done using scissors and a hole punch! :)

Any comments are more than welcome.

Steve