24 th scale Trumpeter Spitfire

Nwanda

After having un-lurked myself, this is my second post after 9 years of lurking! There has to be some sort of record in that :innocent:

The subject of this post is the excellent (largely) Spitfire 1/24 Spitfire. As I mentioned in post number one, I usually built glacially slowly, and tend to neglect finishing ..... With this build, I decided that I should remember why I do this, and build the aeroplane I want, for me. No frilsl or phaffing about, worrying about strict accuracy. I decided to strive for a representational build, to have fun and actually complete the thing!

I deviated only slightly from this - I bought AM seatbelts (The mind boggles that a kit of this size and complexity doesn't include belts) and a set of etched flaps. Having read every review of this kit, I looked to deal with some of the problems. Firstly the ridiculous African long drop wooden seat thingy - I just left the planked bit off, and ended up with a seat that, once the belts were in, was certainly good enough for Government work.

IMG_0569.jpg

(I apologise if the images are poor, using a smartphone)

As regards the ridiculous spring loaded U/C legs, apply glue and ignore. Same goes for the unnecersary and fiddly PE "hinges" for rudder etc. :evil_laugh:

I added bits and pieces of decal dungeon color and interest, such as the fire wall

IMG_0573.jpg

I finished it as an aircraft of 1Squadron, South African Airforce, sometime just before or during the Korean war. The decals were the closest I could get to the smallish roundels evident in photos; the serial number is fictitious and compliments of the afore mentioned decal dungeon. I preshaded with the actual colour to try and get the look of an old and careworn airframe. Dark sea grey upper and haze grey undersides.

Nice look but one suggestion....and please understand this is constrctive and not negative criticism!

The ailerons if glued into position on the main

wings would deflect in opposite directions.

Example if the left (port) aileron is down then the

right (starboard) aileron would be deflected up or in the

Opposite direction with equal angle only upwards. Also the control stick

In the cockpit would be turned to the right. And if the elevators on the horizontal stabilizer

Are deflected down then the control column would be pushed

Forward. If you are going to remove the hinges when building

You have to glue the control surfaces and joystick in the cockpit

In the correct attitude. Sorry if I sound harsh but those mistakes are obvious to pilots or those who understand

Control inputs for aircraft. Alot of builders position ailerons, elevators, rudders and flaps in a nuetral or only slightly

Deflected position to give "character" to the aircraft. Just trying to give a little constructive criticism to an otherwise fine build.

Welcome into the sometimes harsh light of de-lurking.

My comments are only intended as knowledge you can use on your next build as all here learn as we go.

A fine Spitfire by the way.

Jon

Edited by fastzx

Jon - any comments more than welcome - the aerolons should probably be in the neutral position, but they are now firmly stuck as is, next one will be more accurate - and there will be a next one :wicked: For the record, the joystick - which had to be cut down, I dont know what Trumpeter were thinking - is set to one side and the rudder pedals set to acoount for the rudder. Must admit that after years in the airforce where everything is hydraulic and droops to a greater or lesser degree, the thought of controls powered by a mark 1 human didnt cross my mind

Edited by Nwanda

Great looking forward to your next build!

I'm glad you are open to coments.

You will find a variety of knowledgable modelers

Here that are glad to offer assistance.

Your painting and technical building and painting abilities will serve you well.

Are you concentrating on 1/24th scale or do you plan on building 1/32nd?

Great to see your Spitfire and am looking forward

to seeing more of your work!

Cheers,

Jon