Am I (Wing)Nuts? The Bristol Fighter

Cees Broere

Ok, something I never thought could happen has in fact happened. I have succumbed to the Wingnut Wings craze and got myself this.....................

image_zpsdb33fb53.jpg

Not only that but the Ninak too is on it's way care of Sir Peter J.

It's hopeless...I am beyond help :please:

Cockpit is in an advance state of painting and this evening I made the fuselage cross bracing using

good old stretched sprue. Could find any EZ-line today in Belgium. :oops:

Yeah I know, pics, they will follow soon.

Film at eleven.

Cheers

Cees

After a while the entire concept of World War One aviation will hit you. Here were these pilots, young men, flying these canvas covered stick and wire contraptions, a technology that had been invented only 11 years earlier, and flying them in combat against other young men who were flying for their country in the same kind of strange machine. No parachutes!

Then we build these small models and see what little there was in the cockpits in terms of instrumentation and controls. And we wonder, would we have been that brave and courageous if we had been born around 1890 to 1895?

Sobering thoughts.

Stephen

:piliot:

As promised, here are some pics showing the good old trick of stretched sprue. The wires have been fitted at the

back of the fuselage frames but I have already read reports that this will cause ilfitting halves, so I will probably

have to redo them again. To represent the rough(ish) fabric internal surfache I dotted white paint rather heavily

around the halves and sanded the layer back later. it does look rather nice, although I hope it doesn't compromise

the fit.

I noticed that these kits needs a sometimes different approach because everything fits so tight together. I am not

complaining but enjoying it.

Cees

image_zpsa4bf8555.jpg

image_zps4b4b2be5.jpg

image_zps0efb9a7f.jpg

Edited by Cees Broere

Well, interesting problem those cross bracing wires in the fuselage. I quickly gave up trying to cut slots

In the back of the parts, they are very fragile, tolerances are very tight so how to do it without destroying

The frames.

Simple, I drew them on the halves using a pencil. Just lay the part over the halves and place a dot

In the corners, using a straight piece of card draw the the lines. They look good for my taste.

The fuselage halves are now together, the cockpit tub can be fitted from below, very clever boys at Wingnuts.

Cees

Well, interesting problem those cross bracing wires in the fuselage. I quickly gave up trying to cut slots In the back of the parts, they are very fragile, tolerances are very tight so how to do it without destroying The frames. Simple, I drew them on the halves using a pencil. Just lay the part over the halves and place a dot In the corners, using a straight piece of card draw the the lines. They look good for my taste. The fuselage halves are now together, the cockpit tub can be fitted from below, very clever boys at Wingnuts. Cees

Good solution ! Mine were on the outside of the framework and caused me some trouble fitting the cpit into the fuse.

This will prolly be the best Brisfit ever done on here ,or any where else , by any one, ever , in the history of mankind.

I was looking forward to more on the 0/400 , guess we'll have to wait for that!

Thanks Steve,

Yes you have to wait for a while, but my interests are prone to change suddenly. In the meantime....

Disaster has struck!

I have managed to effectively destroy my pilot's seat! I was trying to reveal the delicate wicker structure

By paring away the broad ridge protecting it. I found this on WNW's website.

The seat couldn't take it and i now have a Seat with a Large gap across the backrest. I will try to:

A reconstruct the wicker structure using left over stretched sprue

Or

B find a replacement seat

Any aftermarket RFC seats availabe??

Cees

Hi

Parts have an echet seat in etchset 32030,for Hobbycrafts Camel,but it will be costful to order that.If u still want to do that,check out jadar.pl

I would have recreate the wicker,using fishingline would be better than streched sprue.

If you still have a minor good locking seat,try to cover it up with the seatbelts or maybe sculpt a parachutebag ect.

LarsQ

Edited by Qvarre

Cees: I replaced the kit fat wicker with a brass mesh from Aber.

Page 4:

http://www.swannysmodels.com/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1331617300/45

I did do an involved blog at Swanny's might be worth a look. I just reviewed it , many of the very minor issues with the kit are mentioned. I did develop a mask set as well, pm me if ya like .

You'll have fun.

Edited by krow113

Hi Cees,

Bummer... Lone Star models does one:

https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/p/Lone+Star+Models+132+Britishtype+WW1+Seat+LSM30383/15742/#.UP7x66XA3pA

or how's this one by Pheon?

http://www.hyperscale.com/2010/reviews/accessories/pheoncorrections32reviewjf_1.htm

Edited by jeroenpeters