1/32 F-15 drop tanks

Bruce

OK, there was a question asked or someone was looking for correct size drop tanks for 1/32 scale F-15s. I was under the impression that the general decision was that the high speed centerline drop tank that had been included in the 1/32 scale Revell F-4E kit was the "best" example for the F-15. CE was the only company that was selling an after market tank and it had been nothing more than a copy of the Revell tank(I sold them the master for their part).

So... is it felt that the Revell tank is indeed the "best" choice for this purpose and is Two Mikes or anybody else thinking of coming out with a tank?

Bruce

That would be me who asked the question.

One idea I've had is to see if I could use a tank out of the Revell 1/48 scale kit to do a drawing and then enlarge it to 1/32 scale and then alter the Tamiya one accordingly. Hope that makes sense.

If, and it's a bloody big if, it does work then I can do all the tanks needed for my C, J, and E versions.

Chris

So I'm still not sure which C/L Tank is being discussed.

Is the discussion about the "high speed" F-15 tank fitted to the C/L of the F-4E/F/G and (can't remember) RF-4C/E or the original C/L tank designed for all F-4 variants. :hmmm:

Barry

So I'm still not sure which C/L Tank is being discussed.

Is the discussion about the "high speed" F-15 tank fitted to the C/L of the F-4E/F/G and (can't remember) RF-4C/E or the original C/L tank designed for all F-4 variants. :hmmm:

Barry

The OP talking about the F-15 style hi-speed F-4 centerline tank, not the original Royal Jet centerline tank that was used only on the F-4. The intent is to get F-15 tanks to replace the incorrect Tamiya ones. Previously, CE sold a copy of the hi-speed tank that was in the new tool Revell F-4 kits.

I think the tanks where redone in the Bunker buster kit from Tamiya.

Anyone know how they compare?

Better, but still too "pointy" and a little small in diameter.

http://kits.kitreview.com/f15ereviewdw_1.htm

The high speed tanks in the F-15E bunker buster kit have been re-tooled and are excellent , they're on the weapons sprue, the sprues can be ordered seperatly - dop me a PM. and I'll give you the sprue details and kit number

The high speed tanks in the F-15E bunker buster kit have been re-tooled and are excellent , they're on the weapons sprue, the sprues can be ordered seperatly - dop me a PM. and I'll give you the sprue details and kit number

No need to PM for info. The sprue letters and part numbers are in the review link I posted above.

Guest Nigelr32

Do you mean re-tooled as in new sprues K and L or re-tooled since sprues K and L were made?

Basically, what I'm asking is, are the tanks different in a brand new bunker Buster kit than they would be in a Bunker Buster from, say, 2004??

yes, I'm talking about the "high speed" centerline tank that came in the Revell F-4 kit. As I said, it was my understanding that that tank came the closest to being the correct size and shape for use on a F-15. It also seems to be the most available since alot of people aren't using them on their F-4s. It also would be the easiest to use as a master if it only needed small tweeks.

I was hoping that someone out there had actually gone out and measured a tank and compared it to the measurements of the Revell tank. I could do this myself, there is a F-15 in the Robins Museum of Aviation, however I'm laid up with back problems right now and can't get there to do it.

Bruce

If, and it's a bloody big if, it does work then I can do all the tanks needed for my C, J, and E versions.

Chris

Bruce,

I understood which tanks you were talking about.

The statement about using them on C and J versions is what prompted my question; just seeking clarity.

AFAIK the C other than the RF was never fitted with the F-15 tank like wise the Navy never fitted the tank to the J either.

Barry

Barry,

we seem to be having two discussions going on here. I'm talking about using the tanks on F-15s as drop tanks because correct size F-15 tanks don't come in the Tamiya kits or the Revell F-15 kits whereas you seem to be asking about using this kind of tank on various F-4s.

here is a link to a build that I used the Revell tanks on:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=35161

Bruce

Edited by Bruce

Barry,

we seem to be having two discussions going on here. I'm talking about using the tanks on F-15s as drop tanks because correct size F-15 tanks don't come in the Tamiya kits or the Revell F-15 kits whereas you seem to be asking about using this kind of tank on various F-4s.

here is a link to a build that I used the Revell tanks on:

http://forum.largesc...showtopic=35161

Bruce

All

I'm lost so I'll shut up now :doh:

I've spent too much time working on the F-4B cockpit; just had Phantoms on the mind!

Barry