VX-9 Vampire F-14B Tomcat, Tamiya conversion

stusbke

cheers guys thanx for the kind words!

Hi guys here's another update, there are a few things you need to know about the Aires cockpit set in order for it to fit!

Nothing major but still worth the hassle, the cockpit tub itself was surprisingly easy to install remove the blocks and presto it just dropped right in, juts a quick heads up to remove the raised ledge on the top part of the wheel bay as this is in the way of the cockpit floor!

the rear deck is another story all together! remove the block a tad further on the bottom side and the first set of location pins need sot be shortened on the back end so you can move the rear deck further to the front. pictures explain this much better

DSC_8553.jpg

if you don't do this it will look like this the tube isn't corresponding and the rear deck doesn't line up with the aft bulkhead

DSC_8554.jpg

fixing it makes it all line up nicely

DSC_8555.jpg

next the rear end I told you guys I was shooting a few picture on where to cut here you go

DSC_8558.jpg

DSC_8561.jpg

while the Ca is curing on the repairs I had to do on the lasts cuts for the exhausts I decided i have a go at the weapon pylons

nothing definitely decided but I intend to add the phoenix sparrow and two bol rails then the two bomb racks on the belly looks cool that way might end up arming the sparrow not sure yet! a inert winder and a acmi pod are loaded on for sure!

DSC_8562.jpg

The phoenix pylon got a lot of work done in terms of detail, hollowed out the nose and added the rail detail on the bottom side.

DSC_8563.jpg

Till next time guys

Cheers

Frederick Jacobs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Richard,

In fact, you created a brand-new account! If all you wanted to was change your display name, you should be able to do that from your profile editing page. If not, I could've done it for you. Do you want me to merge the two accounts so it doesn't confuse people? I recommend it...

Kev

Yes I would but keep my username to be Tomcat-Lover. I'm sorry I was use to ARC and when I changed my username I had to create a new account. Thank you Kevin

OK mate, I'll take care of it. By the way, ARC uses the same forum software as we do, so should have the same ability to change names as we do. Whether they allow it is another matter altogether.

Kev

• 4 weeks later...

hello back again :oops: :mental:

It's been a while but I managed to have a giggle while figuring out what to tackle next on the tomcat. :doh:

I plan on putting this along side the tomcat just to add something and it took my mind of the current build I'm doing, I was going cross eyed in cutting masks anyway.

I got the Verlinden nitrogen navy cart a while back and it made for some fun modelling! Alas no instructions :angry: :mental:

on to the pictures!

the set
DSC_8564_zpsb21dba08.jpg

a quick Google and looking through the references there still was room for some improvements especially at the back of the front panel! I used copper wire to make the hoses so I can remove the panel for painting! Sure was tricky though! turns out there's also a shut off valve missing, they only provide you with two instead of three! Still need to add that! everything that ain't resin is added afterwards the tie down rings are made out of lead wire loops so I could make them look abused more easily!

DSC_8690_zpsbf58bed5.jpg

I then decided to open up the stowage box on top just to add interest and make it more in use!

DSC_8687_zps19b480d0.jpg

taking pictures of white styrene on a white background isn't all that but I hope you get the idea!

anyway still need to add the third valve and the tube they use to fill the tires up with does any of you have a picture of it I would be a happy man! so I can add that along with the wheel chock in the stowage box on top!

DSC_8685_zps7a861b93.jpg

DSC_8684_zps82779b30.jpg

DSC_8683_zpsb42bc29e.jpg

I placed a tomcat wheel next to it so you can have a idea on the size of this thing one thing is certain it ain't that big!

DSC_8689_zps28c23d37.jpg

All for now folks hope to have more done soon!

Cheers
Frederick Jacobs

Edited by stusbke

It's great to see so much GSE in our scale these days. There's little doubt this sort of background clutter adds depth to the aircraft settings.

That'll look superb next to your kitty Frederick. I'm eager to see the distressed and weathered yellow paint. Please keep us posted.

Cheers.