FW-190D Books - which ones to buy?

Roy Noras

Hi

I'm a huge Fw-190 fan. Which Fw 190D books should I buy?

Alternative 1: "The Focke-Wulf Fw 190 Dora - Vol 1 and 2" by Jerry Crandall.

Alternative 2: "Focke-Wulf Fw 190D Camouflage & Markings - Part I and II" by JaPo

Are these book sets complementary to each other or totally overlapping? Should I by both sets?

Need your advices on this one, guys. Thank you in advance.

(-: Roy

Hi Roy,

If you like the plane as you say, then buy both sets - they do compliment each other - of these fantastic books. Have you heard of this book http://kingshobbyshop.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/classic-pubs-fw-190-volume-1-brief.html which is THE book on the early Fw 190, volume two is out later this year...

Andy

I'll see if I can strech my budget a bit to buy both sets :-). I reccon you have both sets yourself?

BTW: The second volume of the FW 190 by J.R. Smith & Eddie Creek is out in November. Eddie Creek is signing the book at the Scale Model World event in Telford, November 10th and 11th.

Edited by Roy Noras

Roy

there are many, many good books available. The two JaPo volumes & the Crandall volumes as mentioned. Then there is the Aero Detail book, the Monogram Close Up (only 30 or so pages, info prob a bit out of date,) the Model Art Special on the Dora / Ta-152 (all in Japanese but well worth it for the drawings, scale plans & photos), The Classic Publications volume as mentioned above, the AJ Press Monograph on the Fw-190D & Ta-152 (there are two versions - one all Polish, one all English which is harder to find) and the AJ Press 'Modelmania' book. Off the top of my head.

Incidentally I have two copies of volume I of the JaPo Publications book 'Fw-190D Camouflage & Markings' which I will be auctioning off soon.

I'll see if I can strech my budget a bit to buy both sets :-). I reccon you have both sets yourself?

BTW: The second volume of the FW 190 by J.R. Smith & Eddie Creek is out in November. Eddie Creek is signing the book at the Scale Model World event in Telford, November 10th and 11th.

I do have both sets, bought over a period of time. I bought the Smith/Creek book from Amazon UK and saved quite a bit, hopefully will with volume 2.

Hi Roy,

You might want to take a look at this book:-

Butcher Bird by Edward Shacklady from Cerberus Publishing, when I bought it I could not put it down, great info in it.

scan0001494x640_zpse4f69752.jpg

Bob.

also JV44 The Galland Circus by Forsyth, and Doras of The Galland Circus by Crandall (info therein updated in his book mentioned above) - both very hard to find & both very expensive. I'd go for the Forsyth book first.

Bob: Thank you for the tip. I'll take a closer look on that one.

Richdlc: Thanks for the tips. I have the JV44 book by Forsyth, Fantastic book.

Andy: I also bought my copy from Amazon UK. Volume Two is on pre-order from the same source. Saved me a lot of £££ :speak_cool: .

Thanks guys!

If you really like Doras, I suggest buying both Eagle Editions & JaPo volumes. Japanese Modeller's Eye 04 and Aero Detail 02 books would be nice and helpful too (especially the ME). For some walkaround photos check also this link. Last but not least, another valuable title to consider is Dietmar Harmann's 'Focke-Wulf FW 190 Long Nose: An Illustrated History of the FW 190 D Series'.

For Antons I strongly recommend Rodeike's book. The book from Classic is nice too (I mean the 1st volume), its strongest point are the photos, which are really perfectly reproduced. Another fine title is Docavia 15: 'Le Focke-Wulf Fw 190' by Lorant & Frappe, but it's long out of print and hard to get. If you're interested in the development of the early Antons, a nice title is Harmann, Leverenz, and Weber's 'Focke-Wulf FW 190 A: An Illustrated History of the Luftwaffes Legendary Fighter Aircraft' - if you can read German, the same book was published in German by Aviatic Verlag and that edition is much cheaper than the English edition by Schiffer. Other useful titles are Squadron-Signal's Fw 190 A/F Walk Around, Aero Detail 06 Fw 190 A/F, and HT Model Fw 190 A/F/G book.

Edited by barkhorn