DeHavilland CHC II Beaver N888BH

Out2gtcha

This guy does the best one dimensional glass I have ever seen - not sure how to emulate it but you may be able to do something in coreldraw or another graphics program or maybe masks, airbrush effects etc

David Bathe

panel_top_right1.jpg

Peter

Yeah, thats exactly the kind of thing im talking about.....................If I could somehow get something like that produced for the shape of the dhc-2 windows, per window, it would be on track. I have an older program called photodraw, but the hightlight stuff is limited.

I'm thinking a tinted clear coat of some sort.

yeah I had that same type of thought...........maybe paint the windows black, and overshoot with some Tamiya clear blue, then gloss coat?

Thoughts?

Edited by Out2gtcha

110_N888BH_Dirk_Septer_Cambridge_Ba.jpg

Maybe your answer is right in this photo. I kinda like the way you see the shadow of the other side of the plane in the windows. So you could do the blue you eluded to earlier, then add a dark blue almost black.

Maybe I missed it, is this the aircraft you are doing? Thats a great looking plane.

Congrats on your build and thanks for staying on top of things here.

I actually found some "mirrored textures" that may work for my purposes...............we shall see. I just need the kit to come in now............. :rolleyes:

Puting the cart before the horse are we?

Maybe your answer is right in this photo. I kinda like the way you see the shadow of the other side of the plane in the windows. So you could do the blue you eluded to earlier, then add a dark blue almost black.

Maybe I missed it, is this the aircraft you are doing? Thats a great looking plane.

Congrats on your build and thanks for staying on top of things here.

Yep that her, N888BH. There is a really cool blog about it out there if you google "in search of Franklin, N888BH beaver"

Ive been thinking I might just take the OOB window decals (except for the rear ones which I will have to fabricate) and scan them in, use my photo program to super impose a texture over them like this, which is just some random shapes I cut out but you get the Ideeer (the backgrounds on the last two are only there so you can see the shape outlines):

test_1.jpg

test_3.jpg

test_4.jpg

I have probably 3 or 4 different patterns for the windows that I can use, stretch, distort, what-have-you to get the look I need as the back two glass sections are actually bulged out on the Mk II, like a Mossie canopy:

2045447199_e8f939cc05_o.jpg

And yes Kev.............you are quite right. I have an issue like that. :lol: However, once I DO show pics of the kit, Im sure youll see how really simple and basic it is.

go for the detailed version - you know you want to....

Ahhhh BUGGER you guys! Im like an addict..............you guys (im blaming you guys now cause I certainly wouldnt have thought it on my own..... :roleyes: ) have got me started thinking about doing an interior and glass for this thing now.

But, on the bright side, as the video shows other than the high tech glass IP and cool seats, I could just manufacture some diamond blanket wrap for the rest of the interior and call it good........

:hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:

I actually found some "mirrored textures" that may work for my purposes...............we shall see. I just need the kit to come in now............. :rolleyes:

From a motel in Las Vegas?

I've flown in Beaver's alot, it's a great old plane

As for window color if you don't do the interior (which is pretty basic I might add) I'd suggest tints in black or very dark blue tones with a very high gloss.

Ron

Im actually now leaning toward doing the interior. This particular plane is quite updated and has an IP that is a high percentage glass. I also have a TON of documentation on it, in and out...............and I think I actually may be able to have some fun with the interior...................

The cool thing is, there are really only the two seats and an aux fuel tank, and the rest is covered with interior diamond blanket looking stuff, and lower is wrapped in a fuzzy looking thin carpet type material -

beaverIP_3.jpg

beavercargo_4.jpg

beavercargo_2.jpg

DSC00324.jpg

DSC00333.jpg

I just need to figure out how to do the windscreen................clear vac Im thinking. The other side windows I think can be taken care of with clear sheet.

Im also thinking I can recreate the diamond texture material in maybe even something like milliput............wheels are turning now!

:hmmm:

Wow what a great subject! Reminds me of the Staggerwing Unlimiteds beech kit. Frightening! Looks like 200hrs.of work on the exterior alone, so might as well be all in with the interior and windows. With your skills you can do it. All in?

Im actually now leaning toward doing the interior. This particular plane is quite updated and has an IP that is a high percentage glass. I also have a TON of documentation on it, in and out...............and I think I actually may be able to have some fun with the interior...................

The cool thing is, there are really only the two seats and an aux fuel tank, and the rest is covered with interior diamond blanket looking stuff, and lower is wrapped in a fuzzy looking thin carpet type material -

I just need to figure out how to do the windscreen................clear vac Im thinking. The other side windows I think can be taken care of with clear sheet.

Im also thinking I can recreate the diamond texture material in maybe even something like milliput............wheels are turning now!

:hmmm:

Wow! it's actually like being able to SEE the brain cogs whirring round and round. :rofl:

I'm not sure who convinced who to do the interior but that doesn't matter, this is going to be nice!

Grant

Edited by Obant