Sepecat Jaguar GR3.A FORWARD FUSELAGE MASTERS COMPLETE...MOSTLY&#33

Timmy!

Thanks all - it's good to be back and building again. For myself anyway.

Glorious!

This will be compulsive viewing from now on. :clap2:

I know it's early days but perhaps I can put my vote in for a 6 Sdqn machine.

http://cdn-www.airli...2/1/1659128.jpg

Good to see you back at this new, re-vamped Jaglier :goodjob:

cheers,

Guy

Guy, The first one will be from No.54 Squaron, XZ394. Just happens to be the one featured in Aeroguide 31 book. http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Sepecat-Jaguar-GR3A/0452040/L/&sid=d0bd14958935705f3aff8345b7cfb57c

More progress shots. To me these are like watching sausage being made - ugly! Anyway I have a couple more bulkheads to add more balsa sheet filler and auto body filler and sand the whole thing to shape. It was suggested that I include some items for scale - that's why there's a 1/48th scale F-4S and an X-acto knife in the pics.

jagskeleton6.jpg

jagskeleton5.jpg

jagskeleton4.jpg

This is superb, and I served with 54 Sqn back in the day. I would love to make a model of the Jag in this scale but I can only dream, glad to see you back in the seat Timmy great subject I'm sure this is going to look the Biz, as for my Jag GR3 I can only look foward to the 1/32 Trumpy one if it ever arrises.

Superb

Clive

Guy, The first one will be from No.54 Squaron, XZ394. Just happens to be the one featured in Aeroguide 31 book. http://www.airliners...aff8345b7cfb57c

Ah, good choice. :thumbsup:

Perhaps you could make the second one a 6 Sqdn jet? :whistle:

Comparing the core of the model to the plans beneath it, it looks as though you still have alot of meat to add to the bones. I'm eager to see more.

Cheers,

Guy

Edited by geedubelyer

• 3 weeks later...

Timmy!, are you going to vac-form this beast?

Rainer, what you are looking at is a "plug" that will be cast. The plan is to make more than one of these.

Your bronco over on ARC was one of my favourite builds and a huge inspiration so this is going to be brilliant. But 1/16th? Are you crazy?

Yes Jake - I'm a little nutty! This one was originally goning to be 1/20th scale, but my work with Pig pushed me to go for the extra-bubba size.

Perhaps you could make the second one a 6 Sqdn jet? :whistle:

Well there are the retirement schemes to think about..wink..wink.

Some progress. Again with the sausage pictures. I filled the frame with pieces of 1/16" balsa sheet to fill most of the empty space, leaving about an 1/8" or so to fill with putty. (Think plaster and lathe walls). Originally I planned to use body filler but I found a stash of Apoxie Sculpt and decided to try it. Body filler is tougher to work with and requires application, sand, fill gaps and bubbles...repeat...ad nauseum! The Apoxie Sculpt can be applied and formed to the rough shape and sands about the same. It should save time in the end compared to body filler. Here are the shots after application - rough I know - but you can at least see the rough shape. Even though I boxed out a lot is space with the balsa it still took 4 pounds of Apoxie Sculpt to cover the fuselage.

jagputty1.jpg

jagputty2.jpg

jagputty3.jpg

Also my photo etch work I just received from the etcher. This will be the motivation to keep the project moving - can't wait to play with the stuff!

jagpe3.jpg

jagpe2.jpg

jagpe1.jpg

More soon as the sanding begins!

Edited by Timmy!

Dear God ... just what can one say??? Did you make the photo-etch too?? are you kidding me ????

Outrageous, simply outrageous. I have no idea what to expect next, no idea whatsoever, but I'm more than willing to find out.

Grant

Hi Tim

nice work look foward to the comming months ahead. The plan is to make more than one of these, so does this mean I might be able to purchase one?

Clive

Thanks for all the kind comments!

... Did you make the photo-etch too?? ....

Grant yes and no. I did the artwork as part of the computer model - that way I know it will fit! I then sent the art out to be professionally etched.

So these are shots of the first day's sanding effort. Couple of notes you should be able to see the cross-sections beginning to show through. I previously ran a Sharpie (permanent marker) along the edges to that they would show through and I can better control the sanding process. Really it helps prevent sanding too far and losing the integrity of the cross-section shape.

The Apoxie his hard stuff and sand like porcelain, so I'm using 80 grit paper, and unfortunately dry as lowest grit wet paper I could find was 220 and that sanded too slowly. One of the shots you can see my arsenal of sanding weapons. Next I'll fill the voids where I didn't put on enough putty and then finesse the shape further.

jagsand1.jpg

jagsand2.jpg

jagsand3.jpg

jagsand4.jpg

jagsand5.jpg

Edited by Timmy!

Oh, there's some long sanding days and nights ahead - I admire your fortitude !

It's definitely a plane now. Can't wait for more.

Grant.

Agreed with ALL. Guess its all about just carving around that Jag thats in the initial block somewhere.........(:lol: I make it sound so easy...)

Cant wait to see more

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

To all: thanks as always for the encouragement!

Progress continues. Got the shape about 90% there, now the last 10% is to get it just right and keep both sides symmetrical. To do that I needed to get the build board ready. The build board is a piece of 1" thick table / desk top I found at a local lumber yard. It's pretty dense particle board with a plastic veneer - I confident to will stay reasonably flat and resist warpage. On top of that I screwed on Phenolic Resin Sheet, approx. 1/8" thick and 24" x 48", this is the smooth rigid base which I can mark and easily slide tools on.

jagbuildboard2.jpg

jagbuildboard6.jpg

I made up a couple of stands from 1/2" brass angle. These hold the fuselage up off the build board, such that main panel lines are either parallel or perpendicular to the build board. I have scribed a center-line and reference line forward of the nose, the tip of the pitot tube to be exact. From these lines I can start plotting panel lines on the model. I'll use these to ensure the shape is symmetrical.

jagbuildboard4.jpg

jagbuildboard3.jpg

Here are the tools I'm using, a height gauge for vertical measure and right angles and steel ruler for fore and aft measurement. The last shot is the first plotted line, this where the windscreen will join the fuselage.

jagbuildboard5.jpg

jagbuildboard1.jpg

That's it for now...thanks for looking in!