Sepecat Jaguar GR3.A FORWARD FUSELAGE MASTERS COMPLETE...MOSTLY&#33

Timmy!

• 1 month later...

Small up date today,

I was busy on my last break with my buddy Pig - you may have seen our video.

As for the model I did fill in and shape the spine and windscreen. Also made a plaster form of the windscreen to vac form an acrylic part. Photos of that progress soon.

In the mean time, while away from the shop, I made progress on the seat. As I may have mentioned before this is more a test of my CAD skill than useful effort toward the model. It does make for some half good renders and continuing motivation to push forward.

Here are some shots.

jagseatrender4.jpg

jagseatrender3.jpg

jagseatrender2.jpg

jagseatrender1.jpg

More next week or so for sure!

Timmy!

• 2 weeks later...

Here the promised update. Good progress on the clear parts over the last few days. These parts will help me finish up the final contours of the forward fuselage. The next immediate steps will be to polish the interior of the clear parts and add interior structure and detail. Then blend and fair in the clear parts per the prototype.

Here are the forms in place, they are 0.030" smaller to account for the clear material. The plugs were then quickly cast in plaster of paris to make new heat resistant plugs. The Acrylic must be heated way beyond the melting point of styrene and if formed directly over the master plug the acrylic would melt the plug.

jagclearform1.jpg

jagclearform2.jpg

Here is the formed clear windscreen. As you can see it's not perfectly smooth - the slight rough texture on the plaster transferred through - but not to worry it will polish out nicely.

jagclearwndsrcn1.jpg

jagclearwndsrcn2.jpg

More soon...

Timmy!

A little more progress, this time I been able to do some detail work that has been a nice change of pace.

The windscreen has been polished out and is nice and clear and smooth. I have added framing on the inside made from 0.005" plastic super glued to the acrylic. The center frame is 0.010" sheet glued to the outside and creased to form the proper angled or faceted appearance. There is also fastener detail embossed on the frame, unfortunately it doesn't show up well in the photos - I'll work on that. Little more framing to go and then I'll temporarily attach it to the fuse and work on the fairing. Still puzzling exactly how that will go down.

jagwndscreen3.jpg

jagwndscreen1.jpg

jagwndscreen2.jpg

One last shot of a new tool. Sharks with laser beams on top of their heads! Ok just one and without the shark and it's actually a laser level. It's working well so far and quicker, here I'm using it tell recheck the placement of the windscreen.

jagwndscreen4.jpg

More soon,

Timmy!

Today's progress:

Finished up the framing on the windscreen. Starting with sheet aluminum outer sections and fore and aft running frames on the inside.

jagwndscrnfrm1.jpg

Then the bird bits keeper outer.

jagwndscrnfrm3.jpg

The fairing process has begun. This is Apoxie formed to shape. The areas on the lower sides of the windscreen will be faired in next. (Hang on Scratcher - you'll see - I promise!)

jagwndscrnfrm2.jpg

Timmy!

I've been wondering about the solution to that 'ding' in the windscreen-to-canopy top center. Now I know.

Nice linework, Timmy!.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark, I really do enjoy the drawing aspect - without it this project would be exponentially harder or exponentially more inaccurate.

As for the canopy, I deliberately posted that shot as it is part of the real thing. The parts added are a modification - I think a some point early in the aircrafts life there was just a step present.

Timmy!

Edited by Timmy!

brilliant stuff!

you mentioned supergluing the frame to the inside of the windscreen - do you use a particular kind of glue to prevent crazing/fogging?

Because it is acrylic crazing is not and issue, fogging if it occurs (it didn't on this one) is easily buffed away. If glue gets where you don't want it a little acetone removes it. Acrylic is great stuff in this regard.

Timmy!

'Acrylic is great stuff . . .'

Do you have a source?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

On line. The supplier I got mine from is kaput. Also had to by a big sheet 36"x48". Search cast acrylic sheet you should find some out there. Oh an it's

0.030" thick.

Timmy!

Edited by Timmy!