The new B-25

mz826

I was paroosing the H-K Models website and noticed that the upcoming B-25J doesn't seem to have the gun packets on either side of the fuselage.

While I know that they were not a feature of all the J's, they were something I was looking forward to including on my glassnose. They look like something that could have been easily included and installed optionally by the builder.

B-25JGunpacks.jpg

They're there, although I've read that they were often removed due to the muzzle blast affecting the fuselage skins in the immediate area around the gun barrels.

Edited by LSP_Kevin

You are correct as they were often removed not only due to the muzzle blast affecting the fuselage skins in the immediate area around the gun barrels but the stress from firing them popped rivets and damaged the fuselage stringers. They were difficult to keep sighted in correctly also. It is mentioned in the book "Warpath Across The Pacific"

Any ideas of when we'll actually have this kit?

Happy modeling,

Jim

Per Gordon and crew @ SB.com:

"We have received a lot of inquiries about whether or not we will carrying this model kit. The answer is yes we will be stocking this kit when it becomes available in the USA. Based on the most current information, the kit will be produced by the second week of March, and should arrive in the USA approximately 4 weeks later. Our price is to be determined, but it should be approximately $165-$175/each. We are not accepting pre-orders at this time. We will likely start once the kits are confirmed to be enroute to us."

Brian

Warpath Across the Pacific

Can someone who has this book look in the index and see if there is any reference to a Lt John Bronson. John was a friend of mine, he passed a few years ago, who flew gun nosed B-25s in New Guinea and the southwestern Pacific. He used to show us a book that had pics of him and his airplane in it, but I can't remember the title. A high altitude mission was one where they flew more than 1000 feet AGL. Other than enemy fighters and gunners, the biggest threat they faced were their own bombs blowing up underneath them either from being too low or flying too slow. TIA

Warpath Across the Pacific

Can someone who has this book look in the index and see if there is any reference to a Lt John Bronson. John was a friend of mine, he passed a few years ago, who flew gun nosed B-25s in New Guinea and the southwestern Pacific. He used to show us a book that had pics of him and his airplane in it, but I can't remember the title. A high altitude mission was one where they flew more than 1000 feet AGL. Other than enemy fighters and gunners, the biggest threat they faced were their own bombs blowing up underneath them either from being too low or flying too slow. TIA

Yes, there is.

Page 37,99,119,125-126,193-194,415,435

His plane was Near Miss B-25D-1 #4130026

HTH

I have seen the book "Warpath Across the Pacific" the 345th Bombardment Group going for $75.00. Is that the going price for this book or can you find it cheaper somewhere else? Is it worth the money?

Mike

I have seen the book "Warpath Across the Pacific" the 345th Bombardment Group going for $75.00. Is that the going price for this book or can you find it cheaper somewhere else? Is it worth the money?

Yes, prices in the neighborhood of US$75 are reasonable, and yes, it's most definitely worth the money. My aviation library contains more than 2400 books, and I consider Warpath Across the Pacific to be one of its crown jewels. Both the 700 photos and the text are downright wonderful, in my opinion.

Charles Metz

You are correct as they were often removed not only due to the muzzle blast affecting the fuselage skins in the immediate area around the gun barrels but the stress from firing them popped rivets and damaged the fuselage stringers. They were difficult to keep sighted in correctly also. It is mentioned in the book "Warpath Across The Pacific"

I remember watching a feature on The History Channel about ten years ago about development and evolution of the B-25 gunships. There were some proving ground movies of the cheek guns being test fired on a range, tests which were conducted subsequent to field reports of structural damage to airframes from the muzzle blast of the .50s. Included were some close-up, slow motion shots of the effect of the muzzle blast on the aircraft skin, which clearly could be seen flexing back and forth each time a gun fired -- a near-certain recipe for metal fatigue and potentially catastrophic structural failure. I believe there was a short-lived remedy in the form of a plate of thin armor installed adjacent to the muzzles, but this attempted "fix" wasn't successful, and the cheek guns were abandoned as not worth the trouble.

Wish someone would run that program again, I'd love to see it.

Jerry Peterson