AIM Ground Equipment

Kagemusha

Harvey,

I didn't know you were at U-Tapao warrior. You were there several years before me; 74-75.

I was in the 307th AMS, Instrument shop. I lived off base in Banshan and drank and chased women in New Land!

Wasn't much of a chase though just needed a "Red Note".

Barry

How cool Barry! OH yea, Banshan, New Land, Sadaheep. Knew them well!.Not familiar with a "red note". After my time.....Harv :speak_cool:

Edited by Guest

"Red Note" = 100 Baht note, it was "Red"....now you remember!

Barry

I don't recall anyone use that term while I was there. Of course you relize that was errr.....40 yrs ago!.....Harv

• 1 month later...

Dash 60 and Dash 95 are on the way.

Neil Gaunt

Aircraft In Miniature Ltd.

Awesome news Neil; I can't wait to get the Dash 60!

Barry

This is my 1/32 dash60 I'm working together with other subjects, it's only a prototype without esthetic aspects, will be complete with photoetched parts and decals for two versions, yellow and green-gray.

dash60.jpg

This is my 1/32 dash60 I'm working together with other subjects, it's only a prototype without esthetic aspects, will be complete with photoetched parts and decals for two versions, yellow and green-gray.

dash60.jpg

Nice CAD. Are you doing the reinforced piping? Probably looks better as a bit to paint up and plonk on top? I remember doing the Hasegawa -60s in 1/48, which featured (IIRC) brown earthing wire and a spring to stretch on the outside.

The MJ-1 'jammer' is eagerly awaited also. Waited years for these in 1/32!

tony t

Probably looks better as a bit to paint up and plonk on top?

Sure, I'm considering different options to make a credible but simple air pipe, certainly not the Hasegawa.....

The MJ-1 'jammer' is eagerly awaited also. Waited years for these in 1/32!

tony t

This is an example still very provisional, will be the only model NOT designed in CAD ​​because I started working for some time, will be completed with a female figure.

mj1g.jpg

You mean a thing like this?

1_8L_Electric_Kettle.jpg

Yup. Just in case you're wondering I'm alluding to a joke that pre-dates the dinosaur;

Woman goes for a job on a building site, at the interview the foreman asks her "can you brew up?", "yes" she replies, he then asks "can you drive a dumper truck?" to which she responds, "why, how big's the kettle?".

Sure, I'm considering different options to make a credible but simple air pipe, certainly not the Hasegawa.....

This is an example still very provisional, will be the only model NOT designed in CAD ​​because I started working for some time, will be completed with a female figure.

mj1g.jpg

Awesome need several. Being greedy...how about an MJ-4 as well?

Here's L'Arsenal's 1/48 offering.

48_06_min.jpg

Both MJ-1 and MJ-4 were widely used through out Vietnam era as well as Pre and Post both overseas and in the US.

Barry

Edited by Barry

We should have the masters for the D450 tractor next week. For interest I am posting a few pictures created during the manufacturing process:

1 - We design the model in the Catia CAD program, shown below:

Pale grey parts are resin, dark grey is cast metal and yellow parts are etched brass.

image003.png

2 - The master parts are created using stereo lithography (SLA), where a laser forms the parts in a tank of resin. These two pictures show two planned builds.

image001-1.png

image002.png

The beauty of this method is that we can design the model once then produce masters in whatever scale is required. With the ground equipment we normally do it in 1:144, 1:72, 1:48 and 1:32.

I will add some photos when the masters arrive.

Edited by tnuagRhodesia01.

I'm loving all of this recent interest in GSE. The GPU, loaders and tug all look cracking. Good job guys :thumbsup:

Neil, thanks for sharing an insight into the design approach. How does the detail translate from one scale to another?

I can imagine that there is quite a difference between the two extremes of 1/144th and 1/32nd?

Do your kits provide any reference photos in the instructions? I've built a Flightpath GPU and the manufacturer included a couple of colour photos to help with reference.

Keep up the good work. :)

Cheers,

Guy

No Guy, we do not put any reference photos into the instructions because we try to keep the cost of the kits as low as possible - we recommend modellers to di their own research. Before we launched the range we discussed it in depth with Hannants and were asked to keep the price as low as possible. Most people have access to the web and there is planty of material there.

Regarding detail, we design in 1:72 to scale. In CAD you can zoom in to about 4000% magnification so you can put in the detail and it looks reasonable. The laser which cures teh resin has a diameter of 40 microns, and yes you do lose detail in 1:144.

I hope this clarifies it a bit.