Revell Bae Hawk

scvrobeson

And here's part 2!

I was able to go outside in breaks between rain here in Central California, and put some paint on the Hawk. It's Tamiya Sky Grey, thinned with lacquer thinner. I think that it's really the best way to spray Tamiya paints, it really helps them spray beautifully, and makes them more durable. Once this has hardened up, I'll go back in and spray the Tamiya Flat White over the whole thing, to provide a base for the rest of the colors, plus the white parts of the paint scheme! :thumbsup:

HawkT1A051.jpg

HawkT1A053.jpg

HawkT1A052.jpg

HawkT1A054.jpg

HawkT1A055.jpg

The Sky Grey coat did highlight a couple of problem seams, but those shouldn't be hard to touch up. It's better to find the seams now instead of after the real paint scheme has been put down. I'll just put some Mr. Surfacer on those seams, and touch them back up. I haven't put the canopies on yet, mostly because I haven't installed the coamings yet, and I need to put the det cords on the inside of the main canopy.

That's all for this round of updates. I hope that you're all enjoying this build, I'm really having fun with it. It's just so amazing that Revell can provide kits like this and the Arado for the prices they do, when some companies charge two to three times for a far inferior kit in terms of detail and fit. More power to them, I can't wait for the He-219 sometime this year!

Thanks for reading in everybody!

Matt :party0023:

Nice progress Matt!

It's Tamiya Sky Grey, thinned with lacquer thinner. I think that it's really the best way to spray Tamiya paints, it really helps them spray beautifully, and makes them more durable.

I agree completely, though I normally use Mr Color Thinner rather than generic hardware store lacquer thinner. I think the latter has a tendency to dry too fast (and Tamiya acrylics already dry rather quickly), whereas the Mr Color Thinner evaporates more slowly, and helps produce a smoother finish. Lacquer-based thinners seem to help these paints atomise more finely, evenly and consistently, which produces a better flow out of the airbrush.

FWIW, I spray Gunze acrylics this way too.

Kev

Really coming along well!

Great tip on the XF-19 cut with cellulose, an excellent alternative for spray bomb primer! :speak_cool:

Thanks Frank! I'm glad you like it. This was the first time I tried the XF-19, and I think I've found my new system, especially now that Tamiya paint is readily available again, I can always stock back up. I just like the Tamiya paint with lacquer thinner because of the extra bite it gives the paint, and really gives some amazing control over the paint. I know it has a tendency to make it dry quicker than usual, but I've never had a problem with it so far, but it's been a little cold here. Maybe I'll switch back to Mr. Leveling Thinner once summer comes along and it's 105+ here again.

Keep up the great work on your builds, that Zero is looking really great!

Nice progress Matt!

I agree completely, though I normally use Mr Color Thinner rather than generic hardware store lacquer thinner. I think the latter has a tendency to dry too fast (and Tamiya acrylics already dry rather quickly), whereas the Mr Color Thinner evaporates more slowly, and helps produce a smoother finish. Lacquer-based thinners seem to help these paints atomise more finely, evenly and consistently, which produces a better flow out of the airbrush.

FWIW, I spray Gunze acrylics this way too.

Kev

Hey Kev!

Thanks for reading in, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I agree with you. The Mr. Leveling Thinner is what I use for Gunze acrylics and Mr. Color paint, but I've just never had a problem with the Tamiya acrylics and lacquer thinner. For some reason, it just makes it spray amazingly well, and not dry too quickly. Maybe once the temperature warms back up again in the summer, I'll need to use the leveling Thinner again, but the lacquer stuff is working for now, and it is so much cheaper than some of the actual model paint thinners.

Guest Peterpools

Hi Matt

Just catching up a bit and in the blink of an eye, the Revell Hawk is started and looking good. Love the AF seats and Eduard PE add-ons. Super work on the front office!

Peter

Nice work.

Its going fast over here.

Mark

Thanks Mark! It is going fast, but a lot of that is the kit. The Revell Hawk does fall together pretty well, just some minor seams to clean up with Surfacer. Outside of that, and me adding some detail, this build really is fast. I know the paint scheme will take a long time, just to get it to look right, but I'm prepared for that part! :thumbsup:

Hi Matt

Just catching up a bit and in the blink of an eye, the Revell Hawk is started and looking good. Love the AF seats and Eduard PE add-ons. Super work on the front office!

Peter

Thanks Peter! I'm glad you like how the cockpit is coming out. The seats are my favorite part, but the Eduard panels sure are nice. I'm hoping that the cockpit is just the supporting player to the exterior paint work, that I hope is the star of the show! :speak_cool:

How's the Panther going for you? I want to see that one get done.

Thanks Matt!

I use the Mr. Levelling thinner too (It also makes the perfect paint stripper- believe me!) and it works very well. I'm going to use the XF-19 with it on the next one. :speak_cool:

Thanks Frank! I like the Leveling Thinner, I had never thought about it as a paint stripper, but I guess it would be hot enough for that. I hope the XF-19 works for me on your next build, your builds are usually pretty spectacular. Just one thing, you may need to hit it with a little 2000 or higher polishing paper, just in case it gets a bit gritty. It can sometimes, but works %90+ of the time.

Thanks for reading in! I'm hoping to get the blue sprayed on in the morning before school!

Have to agree with the positive comments, this is coming along really nicely.

Those resin seats really do make a difference in the level of details. A great job.

Im interested in how the scheme turns out with the masks as I am looking to build this Aircraft after my next hawk. It does look really great in those markings.

Watching with interest.

Edited by Phartycr0c

Great choice of markings :goodjob:

Thank you! I'm glad people like it! It's such a cool scheme, I'm just surprised it hasn't been put into decals, probably because it is such a complex scheme, I'm having a hard enough time with pre-cut masks!

Hopefully I'll be able to get to blue on this evening or tomorrow, then move on to the red and black!

Have to agree with the positive comments, this is coming along really nicely.

Those resin seats really do make a difference in the level of details. A great job.

Im interested in how the scheme turns out with the masks as I am looking to build this Aircraft after my next hawk. It does look really great in those markings.

Watching with interest.

Thank you! I really like how the seats came out. I know they're not 100% accurate, but they look fine to me, and should look good in the cockpit. I'm one of those "close enough" kind of model builders who doesn't need perfect accuracy in everything, so the seats are fine for me.

The masks are actually extremely easy to work with, I've used Ian's stuff before, and I'm actually in progress of masking the plane up for the blue right now. Just follow the instructions, and there are no problems at all. I just hope I don't screw up anything on my end.

Thanks for reading in, hope to get it done soon-ish, there's a contest in San Jose in March I want this to be all ready for.