PCM Hurricane

jeroenpeters

Here is a nice listing, which shows some of the actions of No.1 Squadron in France: Linky

"Type: Hurricane Mk 1

Serial number: L1679, JX-G

Operation: Patrol

Damaged: 10/05/1940 Lost: 14/05/1940

F/O P.H.M. Richey - safe.

Took off from Vassincourt. Damaged in combat; force-landed at Mezières airfield. The aircraft was destroyed by bombing on 14/05/1940."

It confirms "G", flown by Richey, was L1679, and odd number which would be appropriate for your scheme, and a "famous" pilots aircraft as well :)

Doug

Guest Peterpools

Jeroen

Picked up the build from page one and thoroughly enjoyed reading each page. Very impressed with how you handled the corrective details, especially the fasteners. Impressive work as always.

Peter

Thnx Peter, Loic,

DougN has really helped me with some issues I was struggling with. Was there a serial or not? What did the underside look like?

Also told me that this plane belonged to Paul Richey.

There was just one thing that didn't compute. The camo pattern does not fit the even L1842 serial.

Just found this:

http://www.markstyling.com/hurricanemk1s_1.htm

Here's the pic (copyright Markstyling):

hurricane48.jpg

See that serial? 1679. Odd.

Doesn't really matter since it was painted over on the fuselage, but explaines the mirrored camo pattern that fits an even serial like the above shown L1842.

Pfff.

Next issue: correct size of the G :blink:

Ah yes: and this profile shows a red tip on the Watts prop. Not green like Montex suggests.

Edited by jeroenpeters

L1679 is indeed the correct serial for Richey's "G" (per the combat report above). L1842 is the serial for Mould's "T" :) The size of the "G" in the Montex set was what started me down the path to the correct "T" for Mould's L1842 :)

The profile seems to match photo I sent you :)

Doug

L1679 is indeed the correct serial for Richey's "G" (per the combat report above). L1842 is the serial for Mould's "T" :) The size of the "G" in the Montex set was what started me down the path to the correct "T" for Mould's L1842 :)

The profile seems to match photo I sent you :)

Doug

Hi Doug,

Yes, I believe so!

It's all starting to make sense now.... :hmmm:

I'm going to paint the tires now. Black huh? :lol:

RAF pilots didn't just fly one plane, so Mould would have flown a variety of Hurricane's. If I were you Jeroen, I'd stick with the masks as is. The type of codes used were often different, even within the same squadron. JX-G, and G are two completely different aircraft.

Pics of 1 Sqn Hurricanes in 39 http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/wwtwo/1_squadron_gallery_01.shtml as you can see the codes are far from uniform in shape-type, size and placement.

Edited by Kagemusha

Hi Doug,

Yes, I believe so!

It's all starting to make sense now.... :hmmm:

I'm going to paint the tires now. Black huh? :lol:

Well, since you asked... actually I prefer MM Aircraft Interior Black, with a light coat of RLM 66 on the tread area... :rolleyes: :rofl:

Doug