Wingnut wings SE5a

Flip01

Hi All,

After my Pfalz, my first intention was to build the Tamiya Spitfire, but the call of the wingnut kits in my stack was too strong...and I had to give in :-)

The SE5a is on of their earlier kits if i'm correct. As usual, the detail is awesome.

The only thing I didn't like was the cockpit frame and cables in between that were molded onto the fuselage side. I removed all cables and built some of the frame that was missing, using plastic strip.

The woodwork was painted using oils. After the paint was dry, I added the cables, using bob's buckle's and 0.012mm fishing wire.

I have removed all the detail on the instrument panel and rebuilt everything using Aeroclub and Aber PE leftovers and thin copper wire. There is one gauge missing, that I still have to add btw.

Still to do in the cockpit: rudder pedals and control cables.

panel.jpg

Seatbelts.jpg

The seatbelts are from HGW and look great. I didn't attach them yet to the seat because I still have to weather the seat cushion.

This is again, one great kit, that provides me with hours of modelling joy :-)

Philippe

Philippe,

Your Pfalz was one of the best WWI fighters Iv'e seen built, you have a gift for the "stringbags". The Spit probably would have been ( and will be someday) incredible, but I cant wait to see what you do with this if the rest of the build is as precise and realistic as the cockpit thus far.

Paul

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the comments guys :-)

Progress is slow, but steady. I've almost finished the engine. Just have to add some more wiring and some copper pipes.

Engine3.jpg

Greetz

Philippe

• 2 weeks later...

Another small update on the SE5a:

At last I can put some paint on the wings and fuselage. Starting with the underside of the wings.

after airbrushing the base colour (Gunze sail mixed with Gunze off white), I roughly taped off the wing structure, a tedious job that took me just over 2 hours... Afterwards I airbrushed some heavily thinned brown acrylics along the tape to simulate the shadows.

The tape was removed and the wings were airbrushed again with the thinned base colour until the wanted effect was achieved.

SE5a%20wings.jpg

A lot of tape....

SE5a%20wings2.jpg

...and the end result.

Trying out some green/brown mixtures for the fuselage now on a scrap model. I think I'll go for an olive drab tint. I'll post some pictures later on.

regards

Philippe