Gee Bee Z

Old Dog Flying

I recently finished the old Gee Bee Z and it was a bit of a challenge masking all those curves..particularly the ones on the wheel fairings. The cockpit detailing was a waste of time after closing up the fuselage and adding the tiny canopy.

Barney

GeeBeeZ015.jpg

GeeBeeZ011.jpg

And here is a nose-to-nose pic with my scratch-built 1/32 scale Grumman AA1A. The little Alley Cat has the same wing span (almost) as the GB and with 115 hp will cruise at 135 mph while theGB has 535 hp and will only do 260 mph in a race.

GeeBeeZ013.jpg

Edited by Old Dog Flying

You know, there are a lot of cool kits out there on new and cool jets, but it doesn't matter how good they are they don't have what a classic looking plane has...beautiful curves :)

Good job Barney. Very nice indeed!!

Edited by Youngtiger1

Last year, I built the Gee Bee R2 with my boys, it was the Lindberg kit. I enjoyed it so much that I bought the Williams Brothers kit to build for myself. The Lindberg kit is fun but it has many flaws,including being toy-like and oversized. We, built it for one reason, it's simple enough for my 8yo. and 11yo. to build. The Williams Brothers kit is beautiful in comparison, it's engine begs for superdetailing, and the interior is nice but would only be seen if the entry door on the starboard side is opened. Looking through the canopy to see the cockpit is useless.The tiny canopy is just too distorted to see anything clearly. I'm inspired by your build to build my own, but I HAVE to finish the current build on my bench. Your Gee Bee Z looks great, does the cowl come off? I'd LOVE to see pics of your engine!

I used an Epson 680 copier/printer to make a simple outline of the scallops on the wing then the fun began..

GeeBeeZ005.jpg

The next step..masking the tight curves with 1/8" tape used by the Pros..

GeeBeeZ007.jpg

I did not fully detail the engine because of an eyeball problem..one-eyed depth perception is the pits

GeeBeeZ006.jpg

Barney

Edited by Old Dog Flying