Future Group Builds?

Mikester

Actually, due to the low participation rates, and even lower completion rates, we were contemplating taking a break from Group Builds for a while. Having said that, one idea I'd like to push through came from a member here (Harv?), and that is a "Fallen Comrades" GB. The idea would be that you could build whatever you like (provided it qualifies for the LSP moniker), as long as you build it as a tribute to those we've recently lost from the forums. It can be a tribute to an individual, or the group as a whole.

It'll probably run for all of 2012, starting at either the beginning or end of January. If there's enough interest.

Kev

Actually, due to the low participation rates, and even lower completion rates, we were contemplating taking a break from Group Builds for a while. Having said that, one idea I'd like to push through came from a member here (Harv?), and that is a "Fallen Comrades" GB. The idea would be that you could build whatever you like (provided it qualifies for the LSP moniker), as long as you build it as a tribute to those we've recently lost from the forums. It can be a tribute to an individual, or the group as a whole.

It'll probably run for all of 2012, starting at either the beginning or end of January. If there's enough interest.

Kev

This is something that is always uppermost in my mind, so I have decided to make two models (and one master pattern) in memory of former LSP members - irrespective of any dedicated GB (mainly because I am a very slow model maker and I have very little spare time). However, I would support such a GB simply because of the enjoyment and inspiration that these friends and fellow model makers provided to us all whilst they were here - and that alone should be reason enough to remember them.

Derek

Kev

Kev, as you know I've been pretty active in GB's over at ARC for a while. I think lower turnout for GB's is a sign of the times. I was thinking of just giving up on the whole process because we had much lower rates of participation and completion than we used to. The first "Defense of the Reich" GB we did had almost 100 completed entries and the forum was getting at least 50 posts a day. The sequel we did had maybe 30 kits completed. I think these days it's important to choose subjects that appeal to a large number of modelers, and allows for a variety of aircraft to be built. Timing is important too, there have been a couple here that I wanted to participate in but just couldn't squeeze into the build schedule. Sometimes six months just isn't enough either, especially in 1/32 scale.

We're winding down the "Pre-War/Early War GB" at ARC next month and I'm really considering whether it's worthwhile to pursue another one there as well. Just my two cents.

Do you think the fall out of participents could be due to the Holidays or the world wide economy issues?

Nah, it's been that way since the inception of group builds at LSP, and is mainly due to the more limited selection available to us. Despite the major growth in the LSP kit market over the last few years, we're still dwarfed by 1/48 scale for choice. The longer build times required are also a factor.

Kev

I'm going to get in on the ground level and suggest 'Small Combatants', 'Theatre of Operations' or one that would include a LOT of aircraft 'Desert War: WWII to the Present'.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

I'm going to get in on the ground level and suggest 'Small Combatants', 'Theatre of Operations' or one that would include a LOT of aircraft 'Desert War: WWII to the Present'.

Sincerely,

Mark

Mark,

I like theater of operations as well. I've hosted Eastern Front and Notrh Africa/Mediterranean GBs and they were very popular.

Kev

Thanks for bringing this up, Kev. Basically I came up with the idea after a discussion about how Larry and Russ would be more than willing to give us all "stuff". I just thought it would be a good tribute to the spirit of modeling, and men on this sight that are no longer with us. One of the things about the GB, is , if possible, your build would include parts that were given to you from any member, like Russ or Larry. So....think it over.......Harv

Do you think the fall out of participents could be due to the Holidays or the world wide economy issues?

I've seen the drop off on other sites for a few years running. Hard to say what exactly the issues were. At ARC a lot of WW2 enthusiasts just left the site and haven't been seen in a while. Maybe that was due to ARC being more modern jet oriented than props.

I've seen the drop off on other sites for a few years running. Hard to say what exactly the issues were. At ARC a lot of WW2 enthusiasts just left the site and haven't been seen in a while. Maybe that was due to ARC being more modern jet oriented than props.

...Maybe they're all moving up to 1/32 Mark?...:lol:

Derek

Kev, as you know I've been pretty active in GB's over at ARC for a while. I think lower turnout for GB's is a sign of the times. I was thinking of just giving up on the whole process because we had much lower rates of participation and completion than we used to. The first "Defense of the Reich" GB we did had almost 100 completed entries and the forum was getting at least 50 posts a day. The sequel we did had maybe 30 kits completed. I think these days it's important to choose subjects that appeal to a large number of modelers, and allows for a variety of aircraft to be built. Timing is important too, there have been a couple here that I wanted to participate in but just couldn't squeeze into the build schedule. Sometimes six months just isn't enough either, especially in 1/32 scale.

We're winding down the "Pre-War/Early War GB" at ARC next month and I'm really considering whether it's worthwhile to pursue another one there as well. Just my two cents.

I had similar results with the GB's I hosted over at FSM, with dwindling completions from each successive GB. I think that folks enjoy the camaraderie and support a GB offers, but often loose interest when a hurdle pops in the build or when a new GB comes around which is more appealing. No fault in this, as I have had similar things happen to me.

Just my .02