Hasegawa Fw 190D-11 Conversion

LSP_Kevin

Paul, Thor,

I am not so sure more sand job on the resin block will help much indeed...

It looks too me like the wing is very, very close from its final position and the gap is still here on the nose so it is not a "resin block touching the fuselage internal" anymore.

The issue seams to be the alignement of that front part. Then, when you spread the 2 parts of the lower cowl, they actually get a different overall curving radius that does match better the offset of the lower wing.

I am not too sure I am making myself clear ...

The only other option I see is to fill the area in front of the insert with either card or putty and sand the all thing + rescribe...

Kev

am I seing correctly?

Edited by Loic

Loic-

I agree with your observations. It would seem that with the nose spread it does have a better profile where the wing meets the fuselage. I guess the only problem then would be whether or not the cowling will fit with the lower fuselage spread out like that....

Can't wait to see what he comes up with!

THOR

Thanks for all the great comments fellas. I'm still not 100% sure what the deal is with the fit, as I made my discovery shortly before going to bed last night (and I'm sitting here typing this now prior to getting ready for work!). So, I haven't had a chance to look really closely at the issue, but what I suspect is happening is that I haven't shaved down a wide enough area at the front edge of the resin wheel bay, and the fuselage wing root is still being pushed up (or the wing pushed down, if you like) by a lack of clearance. When the fuselage is spread a little in that area, the wing roots slide neatly into the recesses I made along the front edge of the resin wheel bay, thereby dropping down enough for the wing to slip into place. So, if I continue my recess on the wheel bays further inboard, it should at least help. We'll find out I guess!

Even if it doesn't, to be honest I don't see the gap in the lower fuselage as a huge deal. But if I can reduce or eliminate it, even better.

Stay tuned for the outcome!

Kev

Well fellas, I've not only been able to mostly resolve the fit issue with the wing-to-fuselage interface, but I've now discovered that my estimations about the fit of the cockpit were way off. The Verlinden cockpit is very close to fitting as is! I'll have to shorten it slightly, but that should be no big deal. The remaining challenge will be to install it into the fuselage squarely and securely, but I'm hoping that will also be no big deal.

:speak_cool:

Kev

Sanding down the leading edge of the wheelwell part will get it to fit OK. I made the wheelwell parts for this kit many many moons ago and did not have casting techniques up to speed as well as now.

Also remember this kit had the old wing from the 190A married to the fuselage for the 190D that was newly minted and so the fit is not perfect. Some filling will be required. It really makes you appreciate the newer Hasegawa 190 series kits.

J

Thanks for the feedback Jerry. I wish I had one of those new-tool Hasegawa Doras! But this is fun. I've managed to get everything in close proximity to where it needs to be, which I'm pretty happy about. Here's the current state of the wing-fuselage join:

X5Jt1u.jpg

It's really just hanging there at the moment, but once it's glued in and clamped down, there'll be very little in the way of a step to deal with. Nice!

I've also managed to squeeze the Verlinden cockpit tub into place:

VBxa23.jpg

There's still about .5mm to come off for a perfect fit, so I'll take care of that next. Verlinden's resin is much harder than the stuff Jerry used for his set, and is a right pain to sand! I'll try taking some off the back of the engine plug instead. After that I want to finish up work on the lower wing (rescribing, gun panel) so that I can return to the 190S.

Kev

Nothing wrong with that! looks like it is coming together great.

Ron

Thanks Ron. Once the wings are finished, this build should be pretty straightforward. The only area of uncertainty I still have is getting the white metal exhausts to fit. I may have to cut the rear port off each one and install it separately.

Kev

Almost missed this build Kev, but it looks like you're doing some serious modelling here and solving every problem it can throw at you. Look forward to seeing this one progress!

Edited by Butler

I can see at least one more upcoming obstacle you will need to deal with. Tossing up whether to let you know now, or let the penny drop by itself? ;)

I reckon you might be referring to the landing gear Steve...yeah? I actually need to fabricate landing gear attachments points for both my 190 builds, but this one will be the more difficult, for sure. For starters, Hasegawa supplies the gear legs in white metal, which is not the most user-friendly material to adapt. Among the parts you sent me are some plastic ones, but I've earmarked those for the 190S, as the originals are just dire. The metal parts are better, but too long I think, with the oleos in an uncompressed state (and looking rather anaemic I must say). The wheels are also made up of white metal hubs and rubber tyres - not a plus! We'll have to see how all this plays out...

(P.S.- If you need styrene exhausts for an easier cut and splice, let me know...)

Hmm, I may well do so mate. I'll need to do some test-fitting and whatnot first. I'll let you know!

Kev

Well, it's been slow going the last few days, but I've been continuing work on the lower wing, and have most of the surface detail scribed in. For the lower wing gun panels and bulges, I initially tried using Jerry's resin parts, but I was unhappy with how proud of the wing surface they stood. While I'm not completely sure, my understanding is they would have been more-or-less flush panels, except for the bulge. In any case, they looked completely silly just stuck on.

As it happens, one of them all but came off while I was thinning it down after gluing it on, so I ended up prising them off and using them as patterns to form a scribing template. I then cut out and reused Jerry's resin bulges. Here's the result:

vqMv1N.jpg

Not too bad I think. I need to redefine the scribed latches, and add some form of hinge detail to the top. I also added the extra empty shell ejection ports for the outboard cannon. The final task is to add the minimum rivet and fastener detail, and then I can call this stage of the build done!

Here's a quick comparison shot I took of the (nearly) final result of this wing, compared to where I took the same wing for the 190S:

0oOq74.jpg

The difference would probably be more accentuated if I didn't have the engine bay stuffed with tissue! Anyway, onwards and upwards.

Kev