question re: radial engines

richdlc

Hi - hope someone can help me - I'm building a Vector 1/32 R2800 engine & have a question about the wiring for each cylinder - it's an 18 cylinder engine, but the ignition harness has many more attachment points for wiring than I thought would be needed - this pic shows what I mean:

01PrattWhitneyR2800.jpg

on my build I've used two wires for each two-pronged attachment point - one goes to the front cylinder, another goes to the corresponding rear cylinder behind it. The pic shows that each prong on the ignition harness has a wire running from it - what I can't figure out is where the extra wires go - should each cylinder have more than one wire?

I know it's a bit vague but if anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful to hear them...

rich

Hi Rich. Each cylinder has two spark plugs. They are opposite to each other front-to-back.

EDIT: I see one thing that may be misleading you-the engine in the picture you posted seems to be missing the spark plug leads that should be going to the front spark plug of the front row of cylinders. Do a google image search and find some more R-2800s, that should clear some things up for you.

HTH;

Automaton

Edited by automaton

ah I see - so there should be 36 wires total, and each cylinder has one at the front and back?

yeah I did notice that the pic has some wires missing :BANGHEAD2:

sorry it was a little unclear but I think I get it now - thanks for your help

rich

Yup - two plugs per cylinder - each fed from a different magneto (two in all) - standard aviation practice as the engine will run even if one mag fails.

Iain

Spooky coincidence!

I was about to post the same question using the same picture as reference for the R2800 I'm building for my Trumpy Bearcat build. That's instantly cleared up my question! I really wasn't sure where those extra wires went as finding photo's of the rear of a R2800 isn't easy!

Thanks guys...

Regards;

Steve

Good thing you are not building a PW 4360 it has 72 spark plugs. I can provide you pictures if you need detailed photos.

Casey

28 x 2 =72? Gee, I thought it was 56. I gotta go back to school.:coolio:

The PW 4360 has 4 rows of 9 cylenders 2 plugs per cylender if my math is correct that is 72 plugs.

Casey, when you click on the 'Reply' button for a post, you can actually write your answer under the quoted text before submitting the reply. There's no need to put your reply in a separate post! I've merged your previous 2 posts in this thread to tidy things up, and give you an example of what it looks like.

Kev

Casey, when you click on the 'Reply' button for a post, you can actually write your answer under the quoted text before submitting the reply. There's no need to put your reply in a separate post! I've merged your previous 2 posts in this thread to tidy things up, and give you an example of what it looks like.

Kev

Is this correct Kevin? still learning on all fronts . Casey

Ok Tim I have thaught how I was going to work my self out of this mess I got my self into. And all I can come up with is when your wrong your wrong and that was me big time. I will do better next time. I will do my home work in the future before I step in it again.

My bad Casey