Trumpeter 1/32 RNZAF A-4K "Kahu Upgrade"

Oh man! Very nice build. Atlast I here that Aires wheel wells went easely, and there are fantastic looking too. Keep up a great modeling work. I´ll be watching.

Hi Anthony!

As I sead before this is a great build. I can´t wait fore more to come.

One question thow.You are usig this Mr Surfacer 1200. Are you deluting it with something, ore are you using it right from the botle? If one have tu dekute it what one should use?

One question thow.You are usig this Mr Surfacer 1200. Are you deluting it with something, ore are you using it right from the botle? If one have tu dekute it what one should use?

I'm not Anthony, but I am an avid Mr Surfacer user. If you don't want to airbrush it, it's available in a spray can, and goes down very nicely. I wouldn't use it for small areas though. For airbrushing, you absolutely have to thin it. After all, it's designed as a liquid putty, so is naturally thick. The best thing to thin it with is one of the Mr Color Thinners (either levelling or not). You can thin it with some brands of hardware lacquer thinners, but no two seem to be created alike, and if your local brand isn't compatible (like mine), then normal thinning ratios produce loads of 'spider webs' (which is a bizarre sight to see). In order to alleviate that problem, you have to thin it so much that it becomes effectively useless as a primer.

So, go with Mr Color Thinners if you can, and be prepared for a bit of a mess otherwise.

Kev

wow

....my pics dont to it justice.

aaa4k009.jpg

I seriously beg to differ.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Edited by Allok

Hey Keith, long time no hear mate....good to have you back!!!

Hi Marek

Thanks for the question. Kev has answered pretty well....cheers. However I have never brought it in the aerosol can. I have the Mr Surfacer 500, 1000 & 1200 all in the bottle. I brush the 500 & 1000 depending on the ammount of gap filling. Generally I use superglue to fill as it dosent shrink and then finish off with Mr Surfacer brushed on and then thinned and sprayed to finish.

I have had no trouble with spraying it, here is what I do.

Drop the compressor down to 15-18 psi and thin Mr Surfacer with an Arrylic lacquer or GP thinner from an automotive paint store. AAA thinner (as it is called here) aparently works best as it takes a milli-second slower to evaporate and helps leave a silky smooth finish....I have found all of the lacquer or GP (general purpose) thinners work well with pressure/thinning control.

I spray with the 1200 and thinned approx 50/50 (rough guess but thinner will take longer to build up and leave a smoother finish). Extra thin on very low pressure is great for very fine details like Aires resin sets. Even with an excellent AAA thinner I have had it spiderweb. This is easily fixed by thinning and dropping pressure. I cant think the last time Mr Surfacer or Color spiderwebbed on me simply because I thin so heavily.

I know it sounds contradictory to thin Mr Surfacer so much, but I like the smooth finish it leaves, I can brush some more in the areas that may need it and sand/buff it all back and you cant tell. Another reason I like it as a primer is it finishes beautifully glass like with 0000 steel wool that furniture polishers use and Mr Color likes to stick to it as well.

I hope this helps

Please ask if I have not been very clear........oh and by the way, I am LOVING your Tomcat build!!!!!!

Cheers

Anthony

Lovely job so far, Anthony.

I'm taking notes on the airframe mods in particular! There's a Hasegawa 32nd in my stash awaiting the treatment.

On a side note, purely info purposes in response to previous queries, I've been drawing up hard copy drafts of the Kahu 'pit.

Have the bit between the teeth, to see this set done and dusted, after kicking my heels in the dust for way too long.

Short of taking a tape measure to the museum bird I'm sorting out dimensions for the HUD and main panel.

Once I have the outline I'm translating it into a PE set, in 1/32nd and 1/48th.

Also working out a TA-4K set. Can't let the "T-Bird" go without some lurv.

Meanwhile, I must doff chapeau on the excellent work, wheel wells and Escapac.

Regards all

Ross

Thank you Kev an Anthony for answering so well my question. I have Mr. Surficer 500, 1000 and 1200 at home and I´ll give them a try.

I like your build Anthony so I´ll watching it to the and. :goodjob:

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback and glad I could shed some light on how I use Mr Surfacer.

Ross, I have detailed all the dimensions of the HUD and main panel that I measured up at RNZAF base Woodbourne. I will scan and put up here in case anyone else will find them useful. I am interested in your idea of the etch.......if I can at all help then please let me know!

Cheers and thanks again gents

Anthony

Anthony, you're a legend!

That would fill in the blanks perfect.

Check me out at

scap.design(at)xtra.co.nz

Website's still a WIP though I've included my F-80C PE 'build' in Hangar 48.

http://www.r-mcarthur.wix.com/717squadron#!__scap-design

Awesome news.

Looking forward to getting this set done.

Regards

Ross

Great site Ross, thanks for the link and I would LOVE the 'Kahu' panel etc in etch. Your F-80 panel looks awesome!

Please excuse my terrible sketches as they were done in the late 90's whilst balancing on work stands etc. I have more but I want to confirm they are A-4K inst panel not TA-4K inst panel and combing as they are a little different.......all the best deciphering :innocent:

img2.jpg

IMG-1.jpg

and some photos I took at RNZAF base Ohakea thanks to Phil (NZ Gunnie on this forum who allowed me access back in the days when we had a strike force!)

Ohakea004.jpg

Woodbourne410082.jpg

Ohakea007.jpg

Woodbourne410076.jpg

Woodbourne410075.jpg

Woodbourne410073.jpg

And a couple of special ones from the Kahu IPM from Phil.....Phil, I am happy to remove these 2 if you would prefer

SkyhawkCD222.jpg

SkyhawkCD221.jpg

Hope this is of help to those wanting to build a Kahu Skyhawk

Harold....reckon you can make a resin HUD?????

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Can't believe that, Anthony. Lookit at all those pics!!

Simply awesome.

I've tracked down some news vids posted on youtube, taking screenshots here 'n there. But your close-ups are pure gold.

Now I see the geometry of the HUD housing it makes sense.

Very intriguing look of the lens glass.

Would need almost a "double-glazing" effect to recreate!

Fantastic news. Pretty much leaves me without any exuses now.

:-)

Kind regards

Great pictures Anthony, thanks for posting, did you see if the Aires u/c set would maybe fit the Hasegawa kit, I know it's molded on etc., and Ross if you make some etch for the upgraded Kahu I'd like to buy a couple of sets.