Airco DH.6A aka "Skyhook"

Tomek

Thanks for looking in, Doug ^_^

Initially that supposed to be an easy and fast build ... something I could finish in 6 months :rolleyes:.

Some bad LSP influence and look what happens ...

Well, now I know I won't be able to finish it on time, but at least it feels very liberating to try to go beyond what kit offers. I've never done that on larger scale like here, so my motivation is pretty high!

Hi Tomek,

This is a cool build love those old biplanes .I`m really starting to like the paper airplane kits .I`m wondering if balsa wood can be used for some parts of the build ? The wing etc.or would that be to heavy ? The interior looks great and I like what you did with the seat !

Willi

Edited by miamiangler

Thanks Richard!

I`m really starting to like the paper airplane kits .I`m wondering if balsa wood can be used for some parts of the build ? The wing etc.or would that be to heavy?

I'm not sure, Willi, because ... I've never worked with balsa :blush: . I'm suspecting though it's quite possible. Maybe some extra support may be needed, especially in case of some older or with a simpler structure models. Definitely something worth investigating.

Probably for you it will be just a little step, but for me painting this beast was a huge thing. Mainly because it was my first airbrush job ... After a lot of deliberation and constant prodding by big matt, I've finally bought an airbrush. What can I say ... airbrushing is pretty cool and I'm hooked! I'm just a step away of doing some plastic :mental: :lol: . I spilled paint twice on myself trying to squeeze through a window to the fire escape where my new paining shop is located :rolleyes:

I mentioned earlier, that the radiator gave me a little bit more space and I was planning to lengthen the engine block as much as I can to make it more accurate. Well, altering the original parts was not very successful and I simply decided to redo it. It took me actually very little time. I was able to make the engine "beak" a little longer, and more in proportion to the rest of the block. I added few more details.

IMG_0504-1.jpg

A recent trip to the Cradle of Aviation in Garden City (they have JN-4 Jenny with OX-5 on display) solved few problems with poorly documented by me areas, for example the engine underside:

IMG_0210.jpg

I figured it was time to start painting the engine, because I really can't proceed any further without basic elements glued together. Predicting distances between elements only can get me so far. I needed something solid to base the next elements (intakes, rockers, wiring, etc.). I asked Matt for help in choosing the right colors, and I completely ignored his advice :lol: . Sorry Matt, will try to stick to your tips with the rest :blush: . The block was painted simply with MM aluminum metalizer, the cylinders with aluminum mixed with few drops of burned metal. The cylinder jacket was made of some kind of a nickel-copper alloy, I had no idea how to achieve such color.

Anyway, here some pictures:

IMG_0513-1-1.jpg

IMG_0516-1.jpg

I'm wondering what else can be done here. I wish the details were more visible. Should I try some pin wash, or something? I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Tomek

I'm wondering what else can be done here. I wish the details were more visible. Should I try some pin wash, or something? I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks for looking!

Richard,

I am really enjoying watching your build, you are doing great work my friend.

I have done research on the OX-5 motor mostly for the JN-4 Jenny, but some are for other planes. But if you need more photos of the engines out of the planes you can look here:

www.wwi-models.org/Photos/Engines/CurtisOX5/index.html

They are photos of real engines.

I hope these help.

Dave

Edited by LSP_Kevin
Made the link active

Thanks guys! It bothers me a little that the engine probably won't stand close scrutiny to in-scale drawings, but I had to make some compromises and simplifications. I hope in the end it will pretend to look like OX-5. More than anything I'm treating it as an exercise, something to learn from, by making my own mistakes ;) .

Dave, thank you for the link. I have searched the web and found quite few nice photos. These somehow I've missed. Please feel free to comment and advise, I will appreciate your feedback.

Frankly, after seeing Jenny in the Cradle of Aviation museum, I put it on my to-do project list. Plenty of documentation to make something interesting with it ;) .

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a little update on the OX-5.

I was little bit afraid of making the intakes. The engine look will heavily depend on their appearance. My idea how to replicate them was to combine wire, round styrene rods, cardstock and beads. As in case of exhaust, after building "the structure" the intakes were coated with thin white glue to blend in all different materials. I decided to attached to the right intake a carburetor with all the piping. Having everything in two parts, I thought, will be easier to glue to the engine.

IMG_0521-1.jpg

The intakes were painted with MM aluminum plate, as I wanted them to stand out a little. Next was the magneto, which was build with laminated cardboard cut to proper shape. I used on it Testors brass. I had problems with finding proper materials for ignition wires, and finally settled on thin strand separated from a nylon thread. It had to be straiten out, as it's quite wavy. Heat from a candle was a big help. It's not perfect material because it's bit stiff, but I think it's better option than wire.

IMG_0523-1.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

That's how everything looks together. I added some piping in front and bottom, the ignition rails were attached to the intakes with strips of aluminum tape from a neck of whiskey bottle (the same material I used in the landing lights of my P-39).

IMG_0550-1.jpg

The intakes maybe appear a little bit too big, but I hope with valve rockers and pushrods in place it should look OK.

Thanks for looking ^_^

Thanks guys :blush:

Hubert, it all comes with cost. Modeling is a night time activity for me. I can usually pull two nights in row (finishing around 2-3am), but then I drop dead on third day, just after I finish reading bedtime stories to my son. Sometimes I don't even manage to crawl out from his bedroom and I fall asleep on the floor :doh:

Edited by Tomek