Pheon lozenge decals for WNW Albatros

Kagemusha

There has been some discussion regarding WNW lozenge, and its accuracy, specifically the uppers. Would a side by side comparison be possible with any relevent thoughts? Certainly a contentious subject amongst WWI students, but an on-topic discussion may be in order.

• 11 months later...

It is going to be impossible to tell what is accurate as far as Lozenge Fabric colors. First of all is the lacquer formulas used in WW1 turned yellow with age. Secondly, the fabric itself faded with use. I have liked all the different decals I have, which includes the defunct Americal/ Gryphon. I would like to order some Pheon Decals if I knew how. I figure that no one manufacturer made exactly the same colors on their lozenges, but I am only guessing, so I do like the prospect of having different planes with different colors.

There's a link in my initial post to a thread on Britmodeller which gives an email to which you can place orders, as is stated in the post by Rowan, simples...

Yep, ordering direct from Rowan is the way to go, and he responds fast with an invoice, then shipping. I bought his 1:32 Dr.I set, and it's worth every dime.

Keep in mind that Rowan does have a life outside of Pheon, and he lives in France. If it were me, I'd be slow answering emails sometimes too :) He's a #1 good guy to deal with though, and his lozenge decals for the Albatros are a joy to behold.

Has anyone heard from Rowan lately? I heard that he had some computer troubles, and was offline for a while. He had a lot of very interesting decals in the works, especially those Gladiator sheets.... but I haven't heard any news on their progress lately.

Tnarg

Rowan has not posted on Britmodeler page since September of last year. There are several decal products that were slated for release last year that have not yet appeared. My last contact with Pheon was in later August 2011 when I confirmed that several pre-orders were still waiting for finished product.

Rowan has not posted on Britmodeler page since September of last year. There are several decal products that were slated for release last year that have not yet appeared. My last contact with Pheon was in later August 2011 when I confirmed that several pre-orders were still waiting for finished product.

He's still around; posted today over here.

There's a link in my initial post to a thread on Britmodeller which gives an email to which you can place orders, as is stated in the post by Rowan, simples...

Thank you sooo much, I just ordered a couple sheets of theirs. I wait with baited breath, of course if I wait too long the worm will die and stink. The fish will no longer take the bait.

So far my favorite lozenges I rate as follows (of course it is my preference, not knowing which is more accurate):

1. Cough

2. Americal/Gryphon

3. Wingnut Wings

4. Roden

5. Battle Axe

I was lucky to stock up on Americal/Gryphon both four and five color just one month before they closed shop. I was lucky because I kept looking and looking at their price list and thought maybe I shouldn't wait any longer. Was I ever lucky. I ended up being able to get all of their 1/32 sheets except the interior lozenge sheets, but that is easy to replicate as long as I have the exterior. I only have a Fokker D.Vlll/E.V to do, and I will either lighten the Battle Axe, which I do not like at all, or use the Wingnut Wings interior I got with my late Rumpler. Did anyone notice the Rumplers come with a 1/32nd scale 'Teddy Bear'? Here is a little trivia for you guys considering the Rumpler. Did you know the pilot's chair was covered in 'Rumpler Seat Skin"?

It is going to be impossible to tell what is accurate as far as Lozenge Fabric colors. First of all is the lacquer formulas used in WW1 turned yellow with age. Secondly, the fabric itself faded with use. I have liked all the different decals I have, which includes the defunct Americal/ Gryphon. I would like to order some Pheon Decals if I knew how. I figure that no one manufacturer made exactly the same colors on their lozenges, but I am only guessing, so I do like the prospect of having different planes with different colors.

I am in total agreement here. This attempt to find the exact colors is more than frustrating, it borders on the humorous. With the fading of the colors over time and conditions of storage and the nature of the materials themselves, trying to get the exact colors is fine for the guys who need impossible tasks to make their lives enjoyable or meaningful. Personally, I'll skip that particular bit of fun. I have enough on my plate without that bit of added frustration.

I have a good stock of 1/32 lozenge decals, going back to Americal/Gryphon and I will use them all with a smile on my face. I have kits that come with lozenge decals and I will use them, happily. This is a hobby - I am not climbing Mt. Everest just to enjoy my hobby.

Also, I kind of disagree with Mike who said, "Certainly a contentious subject amongst WWI students, but an on-topic discussion may be in order." I do not feel that we need to continue the discussion of exact colors of WW1 lozenge colors on LSP. There are forums that specialize in WW1 and the aviation of that period. There are a number of people on those sites who have been busily engaged in this research and discussion for years now. How about letting them work it out on their sites?

Here is a link to a good one:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/wwi-aviation/

Stephen