75 Sqn RNZAF Mosquito Detailed Build

Anthony in NZ

Thanks Peter, much appreciated mate!

Well where do I start? I seem to have put in many many many hours into this over the past week with little to show for it.

I thinned the repositioned exhaust openings and added a 'lip to the opening as per original.  You can see here the Paragon parts fitted into the port nacelle.

g_zpsb0087a80.jpg

f_zpse5503977.jpg

This shows where I drilled the tiny holes for the flame damping exhaust shrouds. These are anchor nuts on the inside skin which usually remain open after removal, but some are fitted with mushroom head nuts. Also the drain under the stbd side of fwd cowl behind spinner. Manifold and spark plug cooling scoops from Paragon added. Also my scratchbuilt tropical carb filter taped in place. Also the screw/dzus heads for the cowl attach are all seen here(I still have the ones attached to the spring steel from Cammett to be added still)they still need the slots put in them.

i_zps9dc096c5.jpg

h_zpsd7c1a73f.jpg

d_zpse6ca2754.jpg

c_zps4b56f2e7.jpg

b_zps9a63f72a.jpg

e_zps81ffd44f.jpg

There are other subtle 'tweaks' made like the curve in behind the lower cowl behind the spinner, header tank fairing and 'pointer' leading edge to the wing/cowl junction.

a_zpsce81c99b.jpg

Still lots to go on the cowls with more panel lines, scoops and rivets......

Slowly coming together.....thanks for checking in and encouraging words.

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Thanks Peter!

For those of you following along and may be doing a different version of Mossie fitted with the flame dampening exhaust shrouds, I thought some of these might be of interest to see some better details. I am not putting them on mine but these may be of interest to those that are.

ferrymead2035_zpsd7135728.jpg

Note the ventilation slots in the bottom

ferrymead2036_zps485e7433.jpg

front ducting and attachment details

ferrymead2040_zps115be3e6.jpg

Baffle in the back end

IMG_0384_zps12641248.jpg

Overall shot

ferrymead2038_zps54fe28ba.jpg

Hope they help someone out there tackling this kit!

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

Juhana, nothing is really that difficult, everyone here could do it(especially you. I have seen your skills and Harv's), I am sure you would be surprised at how simple it is to do this.

I am presently working on the top cowl. As the port engine will be all 'buttoned' up I want to make sure everything is fitted tight and snug. Although you would be surprised at how ill fitting and dented these cowls can get, I wont replicate that fully as it would not look right in scale(even in 1/24 in my opinion). I think it might potentially look like I have done a bad job fitting the bits together.

I have re-profiled the shape of the top cowl as it has too much of a 'hump' in it. Don't get me wrong, it is not at all bad, but when you stare at photos, the kit and actual panels for tool long, those little details start to become apparent. Things I have never picked up before when looking at built up examples. All I did was flatten the top line (mostly to the rear half) then filled the scalloped areas where the panel fairs into the leading edge and radiator with CA and 'softened' the curve out.

These pics should help illustrate what I am trying to say.

Note the flat line of the top cowl(I know it is all about camera angles, there is still a curve there, just not quite as pronounced

nelsonvisit043_zpsc15eb908.jpg

So I took a proper look at these

mosq117_zps29ec6578.jpg

Note how much softer the blending is compared to the kit(if you have one there to take a look at....nothing a layer of CA dosent fix)

mosq135_zps5b62e3f8.jpg

277254_438439756189463_870370513_o_zpsab

I am still working on this cowl and have the shape where I am happy with it, but have a few bits of CA and tidy up work to do before I scribe the panel lines and work on fastener details etc. Then I will post some photos of what I have done.

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Hi Juhana

Yes mate, it seems that drain was part of the tropicalization system in the Mossie. At first I thought it was for the CSU and asked a couple of engineer buddies as well, I am sure with a little research coming to the time of restoration it will become clear. In the meantime, it is on my model.

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks very much guys, this kit certainly is a mammoth effort for me and I wonder if I am being too fussy.  The kit is impressive in its own right, whether the extra details will show in the finished product waits to be seen, but it is a lot of fun and at the end of the day that is what it is all about!

Matt, yes mate it is a shame the Paragon bits are gone, Neil's stuff was sensational and he has saved me a load of scratchbuilding with what he produced.

I have primered the engine cowl and have glued the top cowl to the wing......Yes I know, it sounds odd, but I wanted a nice panel line representation and it is a very visible area of the model.

Pics later in the week...

Cheers guys

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Kev! Much appreciated mate.

Well only a small update, which as usual dosent show the amount of work gone in.

I really wanted the top cowl to be really well fitting, so have glued it to the upper wing. I then had to shim and trim it to get a nice fit with an even butt fitted panel line. The rear wing fairing also needed attention and was built up with CA and blended back. The access panel for the coolant header tank was scribed, a fine hinge added(still to be refined) and teardrop fairing. Fastener detail has yet to be added but may just leave some of this off until the nacelles are finally glued into place.

e4f93c57-46ed-45bb-868d-3f3a5d16ce6d_zps

You will see here that I have rescribed the top cowl panel lines.

IMG_0371_zps0d4e0dd6.jpg

Top surface sanded to correct profile to remove some of the upper curve and blend to rear fairing.

IMG_0370_zps863b7cf8.jpg

I know this shot makes it appear the panel lines don't all line up, but when you hold together it is difficult to see what is scribed and what is but joined.

Still loads to go, but I have had a bit on lately with other things and haven't had much time on the bench with this beast.

As always thanks for looking in

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ