ATTENTION ALL SPITFIRE NUTS - AND TAMIYA SPITFIRE OWNERS

nmayhew

ok i got in the post this morning my receipt / proof of invoice paid, but that was it

the format and content was rather cryptic, and i am none the wiser as to whether the note means "the book is out of stock but we have taken your money anyway" or "the book is on its way"....

first time i have ordered from these guys, and definitely the first time i have had anything like this through the post

any ideas??

If you ordered from Ian Allan, why not just give them a call and request clarification? The "Contact Us" page on Ian Allan's website states that their Mail Order Department's telephone number is (01455) 254450 from within the UK.

Charles Metz

Funy thing is I ordered the book and my account shows no orders?

I have sent them a note with the paypal invoice number requesting status of the order.:unsure:

Hopefully I will hear back shortly.

Keep us posted.

cheers

I telephoned them on Thursday, having noticed that the price was once again £55, and they said that there had been a mistake,ie there was NO discount on the book.

I'm not sure where they stand legally, in as far as honouring those orders placed while the cost was clearly displayed as £36 something or other.

Too good to be true......

Dennis.

A few days ago, I also ordered the book off their website and paid for it by Paypal. Looking at my "account", I see no mention of an order. So,am I going to get the book?... at the previously listed sales price?...or will I ever see my book or money again? I am a bit concerned.

Bill M.

Being in the US, I just emailed them asking about my order. I noticed my Paypal payment was sent to some outfit called Midland Publishing, or some sort. I hope this is the same as Ian Allan. I made the Paypal payment from a Paypal link from the Ian Allan site. Anyway, I'll report on what I hear.

Bill M.

$140 Cad + shipping :coolio:

Good grief. I'm real glad I passed on this one. I had a similar experience with Squadron once. They had some item or other marked down by about 85%, so I called immediately to order, and was told it was a typo, and they would no way sell it to me for that price.

I telephoned them on Thursday, having noticed that the price was once again £55, and they said that there had been a mistake,ie there was NO discount on the book.

I'm not sure where they stand legally, in as far as honouring those orders placed while the cost was clearly displayed as £36 something or other.

Dennis.

welcome Dennis...

anyway, my invoice note says if the item does not accompany the note (which indeed it did not), it will be delivered when back in stock...

i will email them Monday, as nothing is going to happen now

Nick

Dennis.

I believe legally they have to honour the price as advertised, how much were you invoiced for £55, or £36?

I believe legally they have to honour the price as advertised, how much were you invoiced for £55, or £36?

for me it was the £36 + £5 or so delivery; they have acknowledged as much in their note, but it's delivery that's now the issue, not price

If it's now out of stock, I can't see them getting more in to sell at such a reduction.

true, but the point is they have taken money and acknowledged the transaction at a specific price

i don't want to jump to conclusions or slag anyone off yet, so we'll see what they say...

Edited by nmayhew

A bit more information from my end-- First, my Paypal payment was made and accepted on January 3rd to "Midland Counties Publications"; which a google search shows to be a subsidiary of Ian Allan. Secondly, their website shows that there are "plenty" of the books still in stock, but the price is now 55 pounds rather than the 36 pounds I paid. Finally, I notice that the publisher, Monforton Press in Canada has the book on sale for about $98-99 Canadian. I wonder if the book is being closed out? I am still hoping for a positive response to my email query-- hopefully Monday.

Bill M.

Santa Fe, NM

USA

Regrettably, their ordering process credited me with two copies (and not the single one I tried to order) at £76 and I was unable to amend it. When I tried again the next day, the price was up to £55. I wished now that I'd taken both!

Unlucky, or what??

Dennis

Right....

The Spitfire book was reduced accidentally over the Christmas holiday. All orders that were placed before the mistake was noticed will get their books at the price of £36 (there were 75 copies ordered whilst the price was reduced by the way!) More books are on order from Paul.

NO payments are taken until the book is dispatched. Midland Counties is the mail order part of Ian Allan...so same company.

These things happen sometimes, but that is the price of relying on computers for everything these days! I can't help but point out that, at the normal price of £55, this book is still a bargain. Most retailers here sell it at £90-100.

Hope this helps clarify matters a bit.

Regards;

Steve

Edited by fightersweep

I bought my copy when the book first came out a couple of years ago, at the original price of 140$CAN, and I still feel that I got a fantastic bargain. As an aviation reference work, this one is in a league of its own, I don't know of any other that can touch it. FWIW.

Jean