Hawker Hurricane 11c 1:24

Ripaman

Thank you so much for your helpfull answers, Richard !!

I see that cheapo end bits are already too expensive… :rolleyes:

Better one good than ten poor ones... Your link is saved !

I will also try the flattened solder trick ! That sounds very effective !

Now regarding my mill speed, it is some times now I was wondering if I should not try to get one of these 220V domestic light variator installed on the mill alimentation cable… 'will have to do some searches on the Net to see if this was already done… or possible to do…

I'm still learning to handle the mill and lathe but gosh! These are helpfull tools !!!

PS. Keep going on with your fantastic (and inspiring) build!! :thumbsup:

Glad I could help Roland, regarding your Mill!! that I can't help you with, but as you say Mill and Lathe are very helpful if you do scratch building.

Regards

Richard

All aside, I genuinely think it's wonderful that your wife has a hobby that she obviously enjoys and can share your work-space with you.

If it were my wife, I'd be squinting through a haze of wool fluff and also have to contend with the local knitting circle sitting 'round chatting about the latest drama on television :rofl: :huh:

Grant

PS: If you're reading this .. I'm only joking dear ! :sorry:

:rofl: I do hope she is not reading !! because I think if she did you will be joining her now in the local knitting circle :whistle:

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard, great to see where the magic takes place. Thanks for sharing the shots of your workshop. There is one thing that you could consider adding at some time though,......a gallery/viewing area. That way you could sell tickets and let modellers sit and watch you work! ;) I'd pay money for that.

Keep up the stellar work and a Happy New Year to you and your missus. :)

Thanks alot Geedubelyer, but a gallery/viewing area ?? :mental: :rofl:

Happy New Year to you and your wife too, hope it will be a good one.

Regards

Richard

So neat working room i have not seen in my life. I think it is dream for all modelers. great place really. :goodjob:

Ohhhhhhhhh. i will ask you political asylum.

Thanks Misha your quote "i will ask you political asylum" that made me :rofl:

Regards

Richard

Have not had to much time over Christmas to get into my Hurri build,but managed to get the first of four connection between the spars.

Do not have drawings of these so it is scaling of pictures I have.

This is one of two brackets to hold the tubes made from .005" brass shim.

IMG_6025.jpg

IMG_6027.jpg

IMG_6029.jpg

Made a jig so that I could cut all pieces to the right size, bracket work out great and fit.

IMG_6028.jpg

IMG_6030.jpg

IMG_6031.jpg

Hope everyone had a great Christmas, and Happy New Year to all.

Regards

Richard

oh boy..

this is so good it hurts - I love the dedication and commitment that results in building a jig for one component that probably took as long to make as the average kit..

beautiful and inspiring work Richard - thank you for sharing

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Richard

Stellar progress. I'm amazed not only at the level of your work in craft all the individual parts but the jig as well. Just working out how the jig should be built to hold the parts so precisely, is an engineering feat unto itself.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

This is the build that has inspired and informed my 1:32 Hurricane IIC build that I started posting yesterday. That said, I could never get to this level of modelling - no scratch that this is ENGINEERING!!! The research Richard has done has helped me in my build - it was also Richard who pointed me to this forum in the first place when we exchanged PMs on "another board" about his research sources.

I love the workshop by the way, just the sort of setup you need to produce this level of superb detail!

All the best for 2013,

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

oh boy..

this is so good it hurts - I love the dedication and commitment that results in building a jig for one component that probably took as long to make as the average kit..

beautiful and inspiring work Richard - thank you for sharing

Peter

Hi Peter,

I think you are the same as me when it comes to detail, especially after seeing what you have added to your Fury :thumbsup: now that hurts

Regarding jigs I have made, they dont take me that long to build and I find if I had to cut scribe and then bend the peices and try to have equal legs etc it would have taken me way more time.

Nice update Richard. Sorry I didn't make it out there this weekend. Had a busy time here at the house. Perhaps next weekend. I'll call you towards weeks end

Happy New Year to you guys!

Ron

No worries Ron, nice to chat yesterday, will look forward to Sat.

Fabulous - as always!

Grant.

Thanks as always Grant

Richard

Stellar progress. I'm amazed not only at the level of your work in craft all the individual parts but the jig as well. Just working out how the jig should be built to hold the parts so precisely, is an engineering feat unto itself.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Hi Peter, I find jigs are the way to go when scratch building, some take awhile to think up where others just pop into my head, then there are others I have had to build due to trying one way and could not get two pices to look the same as you see from the pile of brass scrap on my work bench.

Regards

Richard

This is the build that has inspired and informed my 1:32 Hurricane IIC build that I started posting yesterday. That said, I could never get to this level of modelling - no scratch that this is ENGINEERING!!! The research Richard has done has helped me in my build - it was also Richard who pointed me to this forum in the first place when we exchanged PMs on "another board" about his research sources.

I love the workshop by the way, just the sort of setup you need to produce this level of superb detail!

All the best for 2013,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I am very glad you have found my WIP and found it useful, thats what I find this forum has to offer, the knowlege, friendliness, and people willing to help one another. Looked at your build and just love what you have done to your Hurri.

Having taken time to read a few pages a day, I have finally got here.. .. :frantic: :frantic:

Really amazing and astounding workmanship. Quite detailed and full of splendid techniques.. Very nice work .good thread too. :m0152:

I AM IN AWE. :bow: :clap2:

Mura, I thank you for taken the time to go though my WIP, as you have seen I keep changing thinks, that is why I have been called :mental: :frantic: oh well, it won't stop me :rofl:

Don't know how I missed this latest update. Very sexy.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark I do like the looks of the Hurri.

:yahoo: ...............Harv

See you are getting closer to the finish line Harv, one day I will do this :yahoo: when I get closer

Well I see I have not posted since Jan 1st!!! time does fly eh, so very small update this time, I have finished making the small brackets which hold the frame work together, glued to the tubes except the front and back brackets I will glue them to the spars and then glue the frame work once I have made the outside frames. Before I do that I have to add the rivets, bolt heads etc to these frame and finish rivets on the spars.

So I have just clamped the frames to the spars just to see if all OK and has worked out not to bad.

IMG_6044.jpg

IMG_6045.jpg

IMG_6046.jpg

IMG_6047.jpg

IMG_6049.jpg

Until next time

Regards

Richard