Hawker Hurricane 11c 1:24

Ripaman

Pretty dang amazing that after all of that complicated work it still squares up. Superb, Richard. Really.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hi Mark, I did make another jig so that when I glued the parts together they came out as square as I could get them.

IMG_5962.jpg

IMG_5963.jpg

Regards

Richard

Well Richard, when it comes down to the point where I can easily identify individual aircraft component and detail parts, then I know that I am looking at something out of the ordinary!

Oustanding engineering craftsmanship here Richard (this is beyond mere model making, as you have to be pretty intimately familiar with the whole airframe, structure and systems to be able to replicate it to this degree)...I take my hat off to you :bow:

Derek

Hi Derek, I have got quite a few pictures and drawings (478) so I do know now how it was built, got one which I was missing from John at JNE, but he has 4000 drawings, below is the one I needed to build the spars, I hope I can get the tubes and brackets which go inbetween the spars, if I don't I will have to scale from some pictures.

IMG_5947.jpg

IMG_5950.jpg

I do think you are the same as me when you have designed, then made items as I see on your WIP so hats off to you Sir as well.

Best regards

Richard

Staggering! What reference material are you working from? I suspect a complete set of Hawker production drawings....

Tim

Hi Tim, as I have said in email to Derek, all I have is approx 470 drawings, wish I had my hands on the other 3530 :mental:

Regards

Richard

...you´re my personel modeling god.... :bow:

i´m unworthy.... :unsure:

Thank you very much reconspit, but everyone is worthy

HA!!! The only difference between the real aircraft and this model is the size!

J

Hi Jerry, I say the same when I see your buildings, figures with such life like faces, etc etc, but thanks again for looking in.

absolutely incredible work, really some of the best I've ever seen - what a great website this is :wub:

That is very nice of you to say Rich, and I do agree with you what a great site this is.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

Lets shoot for inbetween? I am off to Ontario this weekend but I come home next Thursday a few days before my wife.

Will call next week. Great work by the way!

Ok, so Thursday or Friday inbetween will work, I will wait for your call.

Regards

Richard

Phenomenal - truly phenomenal Richard. Every time I look in I'm in awe - you really are a master craftsman in miniature.

By the way - have you worked out where to get the 1:24 working spark plugs ?? I can't wait to see a YouTube clip of it starting up and running. :)

Grant.

Thanks alot Grant, :shrug: nope have not found any spark plugs, have to finish this sometime this century :rofl:

Richard, the progress you've made is just amazing in every respect. Like Wolf said, I cant even imagine you hiding all that detail under a skin on the model, but if you chose to, at least we all got to see the pictures.

Phenominal work,

All the best to you and your maginificent build,

Paul

Hi Paul, As I have said in reply to Wolf, I will not be covering it now, will just put all the pieces I have built and call it a day.

Best regards

Richard

:popcorn:

Hi Richard,

This is a crazy built !!! Really intimidating!

But so inspiring !!!

Thank you for sharing so much of your tricks !!!

Your "press jigs" are also very inspiring! I often thought about this kind of process would ease things but never really tested it. It seems to work really well !!!

If you dont mind me to ask…a lot of question… what do you use to machine those jigs to get such a clean, sharp work on wood ???

Another one would be… What tool do you use to make such clean and small cuts in the brass ? I did not yet found something satisfying to cut thin metal sheets :(

… and what kind of solder do you use for your assemblings ? Liquid solder ?

… and glue ? (as you metionned glue). I sometimes work with aluminium and it's a real pain to glue…

My apologies if I seem hungry for answers… :blush:

PS. I know… grass is always greener on the other side of the fence… but I'm still jealous of your bike rides…! :rolleyes:

Hi Supermario, hope not to intimidating, just love to do fine detail.

Anyway you have asked what tools I use.

Start with I use a mill by Sherline

IMG_5958.jpg

IMG_5943.jpg

For cutting brass I found this shear from a jewelers website, cannot remember where??

IMG_5945.jpg

IMG_5944.jpg

for small cuts I use these hand snips

IMG_5953.jpg

Then I use this Turbo Carver for detail work on the brass, this runs at 400,000 rpm, and I use dental bits

IMG_1191.jpg

For soldering I use this

IMG_5960.jpg

When I glue I use CA which now I find i get a reaction to the smell, so hope i am not killing myself!!! have to wear a mask now.

I use alot of small hand tools

IMG_5952.jpg

To make rivets I use the Nutter, works great

IMG_5954.jpg

And this is my work bench

IMG_5951.jpg

So I hope this helps if you need anything else just let me know.

Best regards

Richard

Hi Derek, I have got quite a few pictures and drawings (478) so I do know now how it was built, got one which I was missing from John at JNE, but he has 4000 drawings, below is the one I needed to build the spars, I hope I can get the tubes and brackets which go inbetween the spars, if I don't I will have to scale from some pictures.

IMG_5947.jpg

IMG_5950.jpg

I do think you are the same as me when you have designed, then made items as I see on your WIP so hats off to you Sir as well.

Best regards

Richard

Thank you for the return compliment Richard. As I work in the aviation industry, I am more than familiar with aircraft drawings, so yes, I agree that we are pretty much alike when it comes to the hunger of knowing as much as possible about our chosen subject matter in order to accurately reproduce it in miniature.

Best regards

Derek

Hi,

Thank you soooo much Richard for your extensive answer !!!!! :thumbsup:

(Santa' will now have some more tools in his bag !)

And whow ! what a workbench !!!

Now I'm wondering what kind of end mill bit(s) you use ?

I've only had "crapy" ones for my Proxxon mill. They might work pretty fine with resin and some sort of hard plastic (mill is too fast for styrene, at 5'000 rpm at lowest …)

But they get stuck into aluminium ... maybe mill is also too fast for that and 2 flute endbits... ?

(I'm not machinist so I'm learning by doing...)

Regarding the soldering I was wondering if you use "liquid solder" (sorry, 'don't know the right term in English… but I mean the kind of paste "all in one" thing) or you use the "traditional" lead wire with flux ?

Your solder is so clean…!!! :)