1/32 Radial Tempest

JRutman

Inquiring minds want to know.

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry ... our LSP database was designed specifically to answer questions like that. If you had typed "Tempest" into the Plane search box there and then clicked the Submit button, you'd know already that Touchdown produced a vacformed Tempest II kit, but it's now out of production. :lol:

I trust you'll understand that I'm not chiding you personally here, Jerry; instead, I'm seizing this opportunity to remind everyone of the valuable reseouce that LSP_Kevin and others have created for all of us.

Charles Metz

In another thread, Derek mentioned he finished the main airframe for a 1/32nd scale Tempest he was working on. The masters are now in the hands of MDC who should be having the details finished by others. No known date of release yet. Derek deferred the Tempest to concentrate on his other projects such as the P-40F/L conversion, Beaufighter updates, and now the P-61(!), plus no doubt other projects up his sleeve.

Time for a short history lesson, I think. Touchdown, as a company, never existed; there is a master scratchbuilder, Alan Dent, by name, who, since he is not a "pot-hunter" i.e. never enters competitions, is a virtual unknown outside the U.K. His preferred scale is 1/32, and his system involves carving a master male mould, then getting a friendly local vacform company to pull a few shots for him. His skills are such that producing a classic, from a fairly (well, very, in fact) basic shape, is simplicity itself; among his output, there's an F.D.2 (complete with "droop-snoot," operated by turning the tail bumper,) Meteor N.F.14, and he converted the Echelon Lightning into a two-seater, and the P.1A.

Alan produced his masters, for the Tempests and a Sea Fury, and, as usual, had several produced; deciding that he didn't need them all, he passed the "waste" over to another individual (who shall remain nameless, for obvious reasons,) only to find that "kits" had been produced, and were openly on sale. Alan, being Alan, shrugged his shoulders, and said nothing, but that's why they were only fleetingly available, and never saw the light of day, for a second time. Alan might still have the moulds, but he's around my age, been unwell for years, and lives around 250 miles "Oop North," so I only see him once a year, at Southern Expo, and I very much doubt that he has any interest in getting involved with a commercial enterprise.

Derek/MDC will be your only hope, unless, of course, Trumpeter surprise everyone (including me, so don't take that as a clue,) and run with the baton.

Edgar