T-33 just landed

Harold

One thing I observed on these walk around photos seemed to be a lack of exterior shots, so I’ll continue with my additions. Starboard nose/bay area w/vents and latches.

post-8159-1274287338.jpg

Here are the markings the conversion will be finished in..So...can anyone tell me what colour the red is on the rudder?? look closely.

is it insignia red? fluro red? some other red??.. The winner wins an attractive Tote bag and a six hour seminar entitled "leisure Pursuits"..How much time and money should you be spending on your hobby?.

Seriously though..we ran a couple of photos through the computer Jim Thomas owns (he's a pro phtographer and has the latest photo software)computer told us it doesn't match the red anywhere on the fuselage but matched the tanks...so I'm about to paint the rudder Fluro..so if you've got info contrary.. please let me know ok. thanks.

1338024.jpg

1338648.jpg

I did a little work on the front IP/shroud/de-fogger and added the rear foot troughs.

I ran into a small issue. I was mocking up a rear IP insert. The PE doesn't match up to the kit backing. It is larger on the bottom than the plastic part.

Is it me or is there something just a bit off on the front IP as well. I appears to be too far forward. Anyone?

I am thinking of moving it just a hair to the rear. Making more room for the de-fogger.

T-33pitnextstep.jpg

I did a little work on the front IP/shroud/de-fogger and added the rear foot troughs.

I ran into a small issue. I was mocking up a rear IP insert. The PE doesn't match up to the kit backing. It is larger on the bottom than the plastic part.

Is it me or is there something just a bit off on the front IP as well. I appears to be too far forward. Anyone?

I am thinking of moving it just a hair to the rear. Making more room for the de-fogger.

T-33pitnextstep.jpg

Looks like it should be back,right side of IP is just ahead of right forward console..bottom of IP closer to beginning of foot trough. couple pics.

0638850-1.jpg

53-m-1280.jpg

Hey William, nice pics. I was browsing Airliners.net at lunch and saw those photos. I was told that the red wasn't insignia red, but it wasn't Fluro either. The mech couldn't remember the colour. I am not going to do that scheme with the painted rudder, but I am considering this one:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Canada---Ai...6b69b0f0f0561ee

Brad :)

Hey William, nice pics. I was browsing Airliners.net at lunch and saw those photos. I was told that the red wasn't insignia red, but it wasn't Fluro either. The mech couldn't remember the colour. I am not going to do that scheme with the painted rudder, but I am considering this one:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Canada---Ai...6b69b0f0f0561ee

Brad :)

That is beautiful!!! nice pic.Fluro Orange? like RCN?prob just the photo...ya..the red I'm thinking now is a (fluro. insig). mix..not quite a full Fluro red.still in the dark.

Here are the markings the conversion will be finished in..So...can anyone tell me what colour the red is on the rudder?? look closely.

is it insignia red? fluro red? some other red??

1338024.jpg

Hi William,

Post 1965, the red specified for Hi-vis areas (and roundrels, flags, etc) was 59-101. I dug this number out of the IPMS Canada "Canadian Colours Guide" they published in 1989. It is a paint guide/color chip version of Canada's 1-GP-12c similar (but different) to the FS guides in the USA. According to Pat Martin's "Canadian Military Aircraft - finish and markings 1968-2004", this color is the same as FS 11105. You have artistic license, as the color can very a bit due to local purchase acquisition. If the rudder markings match the tip tanks, than this should be a pretty good color. I don't remember any flourescence to the red on the 414 Sqn T-Birds that visited Vancouver, but it's been a while.

Flourescent (Day-Glo 609-401) was replaced by 59-101, except on the target tugs that Brad mentions. They still carry it and it's pretty orange to my eye. Apparently it seemed to vary over the years from a red to an orange and can fade badly due to exposure.

Gary

BTW Dave Klaus' color guide matches FS11105 to Tamiya X07 red and Humbrol HM09 Scarlet

Hi William,

Post 1965, the red specified for Hi-vis areas (and roundrels, flags, etc) was 59-101. I dug this number out of the IPMS Canada "Canadian Colours Guide" they published in 1989. It is a paint guide/color chip version of Canada's 1-GP-12c similar (but different) to the FS guides in the USA. According to Pat Martin's "Canadian Military Aircraft - finish and markings 1968-2004", this color is the same as FS 11105. You have artistic license, as the color can very a bit due to local purchase acquisition. If the rudder markings match the tip tanks, than this should be a pretty good color. I don't remember any flourescence to the red on the 414 Sqn T-Birds that visited Vancouver, but it's been a while.

Flourescent (Day-Glo 609-401) was replaced by 59-101, except on the target tugs that Brad mentions. They still carry it and it's pretty orange to my eye. Apparently it seemed to vary over the years from a red to an orange and can fade badly due to exposure.

Gary

BTW Dave Klaus' color guide matches FS11105 to Tamiya X07 red and Humbrol HM09 Scarlet

Thats great info...can't thank you enough...prob is that I have some great mid 70's shots of Cold Lake birds that are sporting what seems to be fresh fluro red..more digging ahead.thanks again.