He-162 A2 Salamander

jeroenpeters

OK. Finally had some time to really make some progress instead of staring at reference the whole time.

I'm almost done painting the gunbay and wheelbay. Did some pre shading and put the nose cone on,

which only functions as a paint mask and then will be displayed off.

The gunsight glasses are on, the windshield is on. Now for some masking and then the front fuselage will be shot dull aluminium.

No need to add rivets, since they were putty'd smooth. The putty lines will be later added by brush.

Cheers,

Jeroen

1622.jpg

1623.jpg

1624.jpg

1625.jpg

First paint on.

RLM 76. Only the tail section and underside wings.

All done with Mr. Hobby colors. I love this paint.

Next up is the aluminium panels on the forward fuselage.

Excuse the crappy pic. I seem to have more patience with modeling than photographing the results.

Cheers,

Jeroen

1626.jpg

I finally got the paint I need for this build. RLM 81 and 82.

I've been studying a lot of builds on this plane and have seen a lot of people adding rivets,

seen they appear visible on some unpainted versions, like I'm making.

In reality these are all puttied up rivets.

This means that the panel lines would not be visible either, except the panels that were meant to be opened.

Here's a profile from the airwar series book of White 6.

It features three small lines on the wingtips. I can't imagine that being putty. Applied over the paint. Besides, there are no rivets there.

I must be RLM76.

1627.jpg

Jeroen,

there is a much better drawing of White 6 in Classic Publications book on the He 162. It is on page 109, the illustrator being Simon Schatz. There also are two b/w pictures of this aircraft showing both sides on this page in the book.

The stripes seem to be in the same colour (RLM 02) as the intake on the engine and a small area just behind the canopy.

HTH

Thomas

Jeroen,

there is a much better drawing of White 6 in Classic Publications book on the He 162. It is on page 109, the illustrator being Simon Schatz. There also are two b/w pictures of this aircraft showing both sides on this page in the book.

The stripes seem to be in the same colour (RLM 02) as the intake on the engine and a small area just behind the canopy.

HTH

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Thnx! I know the book, but have not got it on my shelf.

I would appreciate it very much if you could provide me with a scan.

It's hard to find photo's of the White 6. I have about 6 books on this plane,

but they only contain profiles of it...

The small area behind the cockpit I have seen painted by some people in the base coat color.

Can you tell if the gun hatch was also painted RLM02?

Montex shows the stripes in the wingtips in putty color, but I'm sure that's wrong.

RLM02 seems unlogical?

HTH

Cheers,

Jeroen

OK,

RLM 81 and 82 are on. The wings were made from laminated wood,

but did have internal ribs. Since the wings on this version will not get any crosses,

I decided to bring some contrast in the paint. This will be further toned with oils.

Not sure what paint I will use for the aluminium. Probably Alcad in different shades.

1629.jpg

16210.jpg

16211.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Very nice touch with the airbrush. Pre shading comes through every so gently and adds to the overall effect very softly.

Peter

Really subtle airbrush work, looks great! There was an exquisite salamander build here a few years ago, I can't seem to find it now though. The guy who did it did a great job with the putty and panel lines, does anyone remember that one?

Duh, was just rereading the whole thread and saw that Mattlow already posted a link to it. oops. Carry on, nothing to see here. :rolleyes:

Edited by mschoo

Really subtle airbrush work, looks great! There was an exquisite salamander build here a few years ago, I can't seem to find it now though. The guy who did it did a great job with the putty and panel lines, does anyone remember that one?

Duh, was just rereading the whole thread and saw that Mattlow already posted a link to it. oops. Carry on, nothing to see here. :rolleyes:

Yup, you mean Klaus H's build.

Amazing stuff. If you look now, you'll see all his photo's are missing.

That's my work. I deleted all of his photo's to prevent you guys comparing huis build to mine. :evil_laugh:

Today Wurzacher saved my build and provided me with some photograph that show the true colors of this Salamander.

Thanx again Thomas!

Also in his file, it became clear that not much of the Montex profile was accurate. The swastika should be positioned lower

And some other details came to light.

Here's a shot of the montex masks on the tail surface.

Ready to shoot some black!

16212.jpg

One step further. Various shades of aluminium, the area behind the cockpit RLM02 (thnx Thomas!)

and the gunbay cover RLM76 (thnx Thomas!).

Almost ready to mess the hole thing up by applying putty lines in a deliberate sloppy way....

Cheers,

Jeroen

16215.jpg

16216.jpg

Really great work here Jeroen!

Ive always been a bit fascinated with the obscure and even used but lesser know about Luftwaffe jets. Ive always liked the 162 ever since my father had an old R/C Scale electric ducted fan we used to fly. It never fly that stably, but it was fun to see in the air.

Im sure I probably missed it in the back layers of your thread but.............

Are you going to be using that AM tail Ive heard about? Changes the elevator config somehow? Was that in 48th? :hmmm: I cant remember...............always had this kit and that tail version (if im not going crazy when I thought about it) on my to get for the stash list.

Either way, it looks awesome so far man, cant wait to see more, I just forgot to comment earlier.

Cheers,

Brian