BF-110 G-4

ruzlkampf

Whoohoo! Back after a short hiatus playing with my new WW1 flight simulator. Awesome, they even got the lozenge on the wings correct, and the hammers on the Spandaus /Vickers rock back/forth when firing. Cooool. B) Hmmmmm, the information I have on late war 110 crews all recite a 3 man crew. Individual crews might have flown with 2, but EVERY first-hand account I've read of the period I'm modeling goes out of their way to give names and stations of each of their crew, and they all ran a 3-man crew. The 2 'shrage-musik' guns do NOT displace the rearward firing mg's, even though individual crews might have taken them out. There was no tail warning radar on an ME-110. The VERY few equipped with the Fug-218 that even had this capability had no aerial set up. The 110 was on it's way out by this stage of the war, and most of the Fug 220 frequecys were being jammed and they had lost all the GCI radar stations in France. They WANTED that 3rd crewman's set of eyes (even the JU-88's equipped with Fug-220 were adding another crewmember) because they were basically having to use 'wild-sau' tactics by early spring '45 and the British intruder menace was very real. If anybody has a pic (or even a story) of an ME-110 with tail warning radar, I'd love to see it as I'd like to have one on this build. :P Also, any info on the famous 2-man crew would be interesting to see, as I have extensive documentation to refute it as a common practice.

OK, as I'm not here to quibble over WW2 night fighter minutae....just build plastic models....let's move on, eh?! :speak_cool: Again, I haven't posted in a few days and have some catching up to do. Already started basic painting on this thing, but I wanted to show some 2-day old pics of all the putty I layed on this for the conversion before covering it up. Walk-around time! Here's the basic profile;

post-4413-1264915157.jpg

And a closer look at the trim tabs and their linkage afixed to the rudders;

post-4413-1264915218.jpg

View from the front. I finalized the oil coolers by adding a small 'lip' to the front (closing it off a bit more) and adding the bracing rod. Puttied in the front 'ring' on the nose of the drop tanks as I didn't see it on any pics, and filled in the nose Mg-17 cartridge boxes on the sides of the nose. Hmmmm, lessee....also finalized my nose contours. Was still whittling on getting the generator 'humps' knocked down just a smidgeon when these pics were taken. Still a mite too tall.

post-4413-1264915593.jpg

Close up of the crew at their stations;

post-4413-1264915629.jpg

I took the flame dampener off this side to show the spark plug cooling scoops 'n such on the nacelle sides. Generator 'humps' are now a mite smaller than in this pic. I guess the engine cowlings had the prop-pitch instrument windows on both sides of the cowling so they could inter-change, but in some pics I noticed they must've been over-painted on the out-board side when getting camoed? The aircraft I'm modeling doesn't show them, so I filled them in.

post-4413-1264916131.jpg

Closer view from the front showing the cables that pull the undercarriage doors up, and the oil-drain tube that drains into those collection 'cups' on the landing gear. Hmmmm, also can see where I filled in the stuff for the Mg-17's on the nose here.

post-4413-1264916395.jpg

View from the rear to show my supercharger intake on the starboard nacelle. Think I had those generator 'humps' whittled down to their proper height by this time? B) :speak_cool: They look pretty close here, but I can't remember.

post-4413-1264916617.jpg

Overview from the top. Looking very G-2ish in this pic,.....heading for G-4ville with the addition of radar. :P

post-4413-1264916753.jpg

Last pics without paint applied. Sorry so crappy, but this thing is pretty big and hard to take pictures of! :speak_cool:

post-4413-1264916866.jpg

It's a lot easier to tell what the lines are like with paint on it, I just wanted to show it in it's 'raw' state so ya'll can see where all the putty went. More pics as things progress! :P Later, Russ

post-4413-1264917088.jpg

Hey dude,

great work on that Me110.

That's on beautyfull conversion (you know I like this version :) )

By the way, this Ki100 looks great and reminds me of a certain stollen project :speak_cool: ...

Anyway, keep it up my friend!

Cheers,

Loic

Whooooeee, what a week I've been having! Lost the metal paint cup on my Iwata, and didn't get another until today. Soooo, not much painting has been done yet. :rolleyes: Yep Mike, those spinners are 'mock-ups' that I was using off some Hasegawa 109's until I cast some correct versions with the right profile. While I had all the stuff out, I ended up casting the wheels for the SR-71 too! As usual I don't have much time for posting tonight, so I'm going to throw some pics out to show what this project looks like with the new spinners afixed and most of the putty primered over so ya'll can see things a bit better than when it was white. First the enlarged rudders;

post-4413-1265377172.jpg

View of the rear of the nacelles showing the supercharger intake and generator humps. That nose looks a lot better now that I swooped it in a bit differently too. Man, I'm ready to start whacking on a radar suite now! Having a hard time finding an ace with aircraft equipped and/or painted the way I want. Hmmmmm. :deadhorse: I want to do a camo with 'gekko-spots' all over the top, but every profile of an ace's AC this late in the war with that scheme has an Fug-218, not a Fug-220. :speak_cool: Whaaaaaaaaa!

post-4413-1265377707.jpg

View of my newly cast spinners from the front. Also gives a frontal view of my supercharger intake. Still have some straps and clips to put on the flame dampeners too. Probably get to blowing that rear canopy out of acetate this weekend. The early style is starting to bug when I do my mockups.

post-4413-1265377978.jpg