Swordfish

LSP_Ron

Here's what I've been working on this week. I haven't had a chance to load these pictures until now so here they are all at once, makes it look like I did all this in one night. That's not the case, this is about four or five days work.

One thing I have to say about this kit, although it's not a 100% copy of the 1/48 Tamiya kit I still can't believe how blatantly Trump copied the engineering of the Tamiya kit. It's almost a dead ringer copy.

I am pretty much at a stand still on this build now. I am waiting for the decals I ordered to come in.

Ron

PC130001.jpg

PC130003.jpg

PC130004.jpg

PC130005.jpg

PC150015.jpg

PC150016.jpg

Nice work so far Ron. Personally, I don't blame Trumpeter for using the "if it aint broke don't fix it" approach to this kit. After all, although the part breakdown is similar, the sprue layout isn't and Trumpeter would still have the expense of designing and building the tools. And it kept the cost down to a reasonable level! The main thing is enjoy the build, as you are obviously are doing.

Thanks all

Nice work!

Whose silver did you use?

Thanks

I used Alclad Durilium (spelling?)

Nice work so far Ron. Personally, I don't blame Trumpeter for using the "if it aint broke don't fix it" approach to this kit. After all, although the part breakdown is similar, the sprue layout isn't and Trumpeter would still have the expense of designing and building the tools. And it kept the cost down to a reasonable level! The main thing is enjoy the build, as you are obviously are doing.

Fair point, I hasn't put me off the build at all. So far it's been fun and one of Trumps better offerings as far as fit and detail.

No progress since, I've been on a biz trip AGAIN :speak_cool:

Cheers

Here's a little update. I had a chance to fiddle with this last night. I finished the engine and did a little playing around with weathering. I picked up a set of Tamiya weathering pastels. I've never used them before but they work quite well actually.

I am still waiting on the decals to show up. I think I'll assemble the whole thing before I start rigging. From what I've seen on other builds, if you follow Trumps build sequence for extended wings they don't fit right after rigging. We'll see what we get

Comments always welcome

Ron

3542524.jpg

5345453.jpg

PC190003.jpg

PC190004.jpg

I'm not even a real Swordfish fan Ron, but your bird is looking great! Don't know if you have it or not, and it may be too late, but this book is very handy when tricking out a Swordfish. As is usual, Fair use terms and conditions should be observed.

post-8159-1261347454.jpg

Thanks all,

I've never seen that book before Kevin. Oh well, maybe I'll look for it if I decide to build another one of these.

I managed to get the wings on and the rigging done yesterday. I think displaying this thing with the wings extended was an after thought with Trump. Man what a pain in the behind to get these wings on!

Don't follow the kit instructions for this. Their build sequence can only lead to disaster. I didn't glue the spar into the upper center wing, it will need to float so the outer wing panels can be aligned. I then attached an upper wing, the outer strut and then the lower wing as per the photos below. The outer struts fit really badly, they are really stressed and flexed to fit right but with a little fiddling they work out.

The stainless rigging was added after the whole thing is assembled. All I can say to sum up it's installation is what a serious pain, lots of swearing going on working with it. It's Hard to cut from the fret and it really doesn't fit all that well. Some pieces are to long, some were to short. I lost one piece to the carpet gods when cutting it from the fret, it shot off into space when being cut. It's the outer horizontal piece on the lower wing, I left the opposite side off to balance things out so it's not so obvious that it's missing.

This is not an easy kit to assemble. Adding the wings and the rigging took about six hours and six hands.

PC200002.jpg

PC200003.jpg

PC200004.jpg

PC200005.jpg

PC200006.jpg

PC200007.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys

Kevin, I am not sure that I have patience either. It's lucky to still be on the work bench because there was a few times last night where it almost made it's first and last flight across the work shop. :innocent: