CONQUEST 1

ruzlkampf

Whoohoo! Now that I got the P-51A done, it's flank speed on getting this Bearcat done. :speak_cool: Thanks for the compliments Gents, much appreciated. I've had this painted and gloss-coated for a few days now......but I dasn't touch its until fully dry. Mustn't get hasty, I'm too close to the finish and a fingerprint would chap my hide right about now. :redx:

After gingerly pecking at it tonight, I deemed it solid enough to touch and paint the landing gear. That didn't go too awful bad, so I pushed my luck and got the decals on it. Ohhh yeah, it's looking real yippee-skippy now. I still have to mask and airbrush around the exhaust, and do those stains......but I'll let it dry another night before I put tape on it. :unsure:

That means I should have the final pics of this completed by tonight! Don't want to give too much away before I post those photos, so I'll show where I wuz earlier tonight. Prop and gear painted, waiting to dry....and getting ready to afix my custom decals. This thing is so shiney, I had a tough time getting an angle where it wouldn't look like a mirror reflection bouncing all over the place. Short walk-around so ya'll can see what kind of progress I've been making;

post-4413-1261826524.jpg

Last pic of the night, and last update before final assembly and yet another gloss coat. Won't be much weathering for this one, just some oil leaks and massive exhaust stains. Geesh, it's really taxing my patience to not touch this before tomorrow morning. May have to rummage around and find something else to start? :unsure: Only got 5 more days for this GB, and it hasn't been announced what the next one is gonna be yet. Blast, I wished i'd taken pics of that ME-262 night-fighter before I kicked it out the door. I really wanted a nice round even number for completed builds in this GB. Ahhh well, maybe next time around.

Anywho,....next pics are of the completed model! :speak_cool: See ya'll later on tonight! Later, Russ

post-4413-1261827237.jpg

I'm bored. :mellow: Literally watching paint dry, soooo,.....I decided to show some preliminary 'almost done' progress stuff. Whoohoo! Down to just applying a burnt/blistered/scorched and torched exhaust stains down the sides from running way too rich under full blower. My nemesis is exhaust stains, and I've gotta pump myself up first. Time for COFFEE! :frantic:

Here's here I was applying a third coat of clear. (I think. :punk: ) Lost track somewhere down the line. As can be seen, I got my decals on OK, (whew) and I'm really liking this new decal paper I acquired. Bought from papillo.com. Lots of neat types of decal stuff there. I just HAD to get some of their temporary tattoo rub-off paper to go with a new printer I got myself for Xmas. Always wanted to try a swastika in the middle of my fore-head like Charles Manson. Geeesh, I hope it washes off. :) .....eventually. Did I mention I was bored? But I digress; pics of gloss-coat,.....yawn.

post-4413-1261887498.jpg

I always wanted one of those hula-girls tattoos on my arm too. You know, where you flex yer muscle and it makes her grass skirt move. Hmmmmm, that sounds more fun than botching up some exhaust stains down the sides of this on the last step. :) Here's a different view of the contingency markings and sponsors down the sides. I made these markings up in Microsoft Paint. Lotsa fun!

post-4413-1261887941.jpg

View from the front. I got this spiffy new silver paint-pen thingy that I think I'll apply dots on all the engine cowling fasteners? Dunno how far I'll go on the weathering, but it looks a bit too 'toy-like' just all glossed out. Hmmmm.

post-4413-1261888104.jpg

Alright, time to get some acetone and wash this marking off my forehead (guaranteed to bring tears to yer eyes) so I can go out in public to get a cup of java. Time to put some gnarly exhaust streaks down the side of this bugger and put some oil-stains and what-nots on it. Down to the last 2 hours of this build or so,....so I'll be back in a few for the final analysis and gallery pics. Later! Russ

post-4413-1261888497.jpg

Yahooooweee, I'm back with the latest! Thanks for following along Texas, this build has been kinda like a 'Nascar for planes build'. This is one of those better moments in modeling, when I can bask in the glow of posting the last pics of my latest build. :frantic: Best things in life are truly free, and ya just can't buy that feeling! OK, I'm thru savoring the moment and must get back to chattering like the chucklehead that I truly am. heh heh. Wanted to show where I was paused(stalled) before chugging a cup of coffee and getting motivated.

There was a stainless steel plate riveted to the sides to keep the fuse and paint from bubbling & buckling that I had to mask and spray. Bummer to have to cover this up with exhaust stains, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Here's a pic;

post-4413-1261911183.jpg

Remember I told ya'll this had to take-off/land in a 3-point attitude? Here's why. That 13'1/2ft. prop woulda made sparks like a grinder! :)

post-4413-1261911257.jpg

OK, time for some walk-around pics of where i finally just decided to call it quits. This is it, I ain't doin no more! This build is officially finished. :) I usually do a few Reno racers thru-out the year, but I've never posted any builds until now. Lotsa fun,....and I hope everybody has enjoyed watching me hack stuff up. On with the show, eh?!

post-4413-1261911591.jpg

post-4413-1261911612.jpg