Tamiya Spit mk IX 1/32 scale

ironman1945

yup looks good

my jap is a little rusty :) - was there a link etc to any more pictures in there??

i am really interested in seeing the drop tanks and bombs / bomb racks (i would also have liked rockets but hey you can't have everything right?)

also, what schemes they will be giving us?

i am sure all will be revealed soon enough

thx

Nick

my jap is a little rusty :lol:

Then here's a translation provided by Google Translate.

I'm continually surprised by how few people seem to know about this powerful tool. Just:

-- copy the URL of a foreign-language web page that you want to translate;

-- go to the Google Translate web page;

-- paste the URL of the foreign-language web page into the search box there;

-- select the appropriate "from" and "to" languages on the pull-down menus; and

-- click the "Translate" button.

The results are sometimes humorous and never graceful, but usually they're clear enough to meet the need.

Charles Metz

hi

re google translate - have not used it recently as previous results were pretty poor - as are these: it sounds like me after 10 pints. :lol:

if it were essential that i have the gist of something then fine, but otherwise i am unlikely to fiddle around with it

yes i know that is lazy, but hey nobody's perfect! B)

PS as an Englishman, i expect everything to be in English anyway - surely that is the least the world can do in exchange for the greatest linguistic gift the world has to bestow??

now remove tongue from cheek... ;)

With respect to riveting detail on the latest generation of kits, I can't understand why this is currently represented on many models by what are effectively hollows (in some cases very large ones) when on the real aircraft, particulalry those from around the WWll era, rivets/fasteners were either raised or flush or a comnination of both, but most certainly not dimpled!

If an aircraft was painted, the paint usually covered the head of a flush rivet over and you would normally only see where they were if it was poorly installed, had 'worked' loose and was moving and hence broken the paint seal (often resulting in the paint over the head coming off) - a not uncommon occurance even on modern aircraft and often an indication that things may not be as they should, or in areas where personnel regularly walked or worked around - ie servicing bay access panels, wing root areas, engine cowls, gun/ammo bays, landing light covers, liferaft access hatches, replenishment (ie Fuel/Oil/Oxygen etc) access panels, some areas around bomb bays - need to look at images by aircraft type for this one as it's dependent on how and where the check to ensure the doors are locked open before entering the bomb bay is carried out, etc, etc.

Look at preferably wartime images and photos of aircraft and the three things that stand out are, the; panel lines, raised rivet heads and removable panel fasteners (particularly Dzus fasteners and screws), so why do manufacturers cover the whole aircraft with these hollows?

I know this is a personal things but while the rivet detail on the Tamiya Mk lX looks to be quite refined, its still over the whole aircraft and that is not representative of the real thing, which after all is what we are trying to emulate is it not?

Just my penny's worth - and yes as I indicated earlier, I'll be up for one of these for sure as it certainly captures the look and feel of the Mk lX.

Regards

Brent

With respect to riveting detail on the latest generation of kits, I can't understand why this is currently represented on many models by what are effectively hollows (in some cases very large ones) when on the real aircraft, particulalry those from around the WWll era, rivets/fasteners were either raised or flush or a comnination of both, but most certainly not dimpled!

If an aircraft was painted, the paint usually covered the head of a flush rivet over and you would normally only see where they were if it was poorly installed, had 'worked' loose and was moving and hence broken the paint seal (often resulting in the paint over the head coming off) - a not uncommon occurance even on modern aircraft and often an indication that things may not be as they should, or in areas where personnel regularly walked or worked around - ie servicing bay access panels, wing root areas, engine cowls, gun/ammo bays, landing light covers, liferaft access hatches, replenishment (ie Fuel/Oil/Oxygen etc) access panels, some areas around bomb bays - need to look at images by aircraft type for this one as it's dependent on how and where the check to ensure the doors are locked open before entering the bomb bay is carried out, etc, etc.

Look at preferably wartime images and photos of aircraft and the three things that stand out are, the; panel lines, raised rivet heads and removable panel fasteners (particularly Dzus fasteners and screws), so why do manufacturers cover the whole aircraft with these hollows?

I know this is a personal things but while the rivet detail on the Tamiya Mk lX looks to be quite refined, its still over the whole aircraft and that is not representative of the real thing, which after all is what we are trying to emulate is it not?

Just my penny's worth - and yes as I indicated earlier, I'll be up for one of these for sure as it certainly captures the look and feel of the Mk lX.

Regards

Brent

I beg to differ. I have seen and own photos out of books that shows the rivets, along the fuselage sides of Spitfires. If you have the book, Spitfire, The Canadians, you can see this on several pages. I do agree that most if not all model kits have yet to duplicate this well, but they are visible on the real deal.

Cheers

Brad

Gentlemen, you need to differentiate between rivets, fasteners, and screws. Only a small area, of the preceding photo, contains rivets, and they're virtually invisible. Also, the Vc, VII, VIII, IX, XI, XII, XIII were entirely flush-riveted from 10th June, 1943. Flush rivets were fitted into pre-drilled (and pre-countersunk) holes, so "dimpling" was almost unknown, and panels overlapped; they were not butted together. The wingroot panels were held in place by screws, as was the deflection "armour" (in fact a thicker gauge of aluminium) over the fuel tanks. The cowlings were held by Dzus fasteners, a (fairly) simple two-part fitting; later a/c (most noticeably, the XIV) had Amal fasteners, which were more complex, three-part, fasteners. From January, 1943, the front 20% of the wing was given the "P-51" treatment, with rivets and panel lines primed, filled, and smoothed down, before being painted (and, from the same date, paint was smooth, aka "type S" not matt.) Groundcrew were instructed to maintain that finish, so talk of them "lovingly" polishing their charges is a mite romantic.

Edgar

I reckon there's a strong distinction between what looks realistic and what looks authentic - to me a model with no rivets on it does not look realistic, even though it might look authentic.

Even though you often can't see the actual rivets, the panels themselves are rarely perfectly smooth, and to my eyes this just looks toy-like on a large scale kit. The rivets help break up the smooth surface and add some character and interest.